• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Finest Chokes, Power, and Output Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When you click on Plitron's links you will be directed to a 404 Not Found. Likely an old page that they simply never removed.

I read that Plitron had an minimum order of $1000 or something like that recently and they are not cheap. Also, when Plitron sold power transformers for tube amps not all of them had a electrostatic screen or magnetic shield ( Low Noise Power Transformers For Vacuum Tube Amps | Plitron Manufacturing ). So expect to pay more if you want that...

Be sure to check Amplimo if you must have black potted. They are one of the top winders in Europe, almost all Plitron tube transformers had an Amplimo equivalent. Euro exchange rate and shipping not in your favor however.

Otherwise Toroidy (Supreme version) will be a better bet if their cosmetics match your desires. Lower price, potted, electrostatic screen, and magnetic shield. US Dollar is strong against the Polish złoty and shipping reasonable.

Last edited:
When you click on Plitron's links you will be directed to a 404 Not Found. Likely an old page that they simply never removed.

I read that Plitron had an minimum order of $1000 or something like that recently and they are not cheap. Also, when Plitron sold power transformers for tube amps not all of them had a electrostatic screen or magnetic shield ( Low Noise Power Transformers For Vacuum Tube Amps | Plitron Manufacturing ). So expect to pay more if you want that...

Be sure to check Amplimo if you must have black potted. They are one of the top winders in Europe, almost all Plitron tube transformers had an Amplimo equivalent. Euro exchange rate and shipping not in your favor however.

Otherwise Toroidy (Supreme version) will be a better bet if their cosmetics match your desires. Lower price, potted, electrostatic screen, and magnetic shield. US Dollar is strong against the Polish złoty and shipping reasonable.

Thanks so much! I have a 65W Don Sachs KT88 PP Amp that employs Toroidy iron. I love how it sounds. So, I might go with Toroidy, and write to them if they can custom wind a 20H/400mA choke....

If there is no 20H/400mA choke available you can you connect two 10H/400mA as HCH filter and what is good you achieve even better filtering. I understand toroids can be piled without issues.

I have not used for potting but using a vacuum pump it is possible to fill transformer coil with resin 100%. A fridge/refrigerator compressor should make good vacuum if it is not worn out so if you take it from less than ten years old unit it should be good.

Esa

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.