Filter brewing for the Soekris R2R

With txt file and mkrom.exe, you can build dedicated skr for A/B testing choosing which filter to expose with some manipulation.
TNT filter are very natural for red book but the txt file is not provided and A/B testing is almost impossible :confused:.

Same with 1021filt_minimum_phase.skr from @gumisb. :(

I can incorporate C128DP filter or any other but it will not give one opportunity to A/B tests because in original firmware set there is no IIR filters beside DC and CD de-emphasis.
So influence will be strong and rater we achieve something new. Only one structure of IIR filters can exist, it’s not switchable.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You could allow yourself to use a 44,1 and 48 IIR bank for quick A/B comparison. There will be a small difference in Fs of course but.... maybe a try? In order to rule out if Fs is determining the SQ, you could swap the IIR banks from 48 <-> 44,1 to see if the impressions remain.

//

Last edited:
You could allow yourself to use a 44,1 and 48 IIR bank for quick A/B comparison. There will be a small difference in Fs of course but.... maybe a try? In order to rule out if Fs is determining the SQ, you could swap the IIR banks from 48 <-> 44,1 to see if the impressions remain.

//

Yes this is solution for IIR switching between banks dedicated for 352,8kHz and 384kHZ or turning off IIR filters but will require feed frequency switching so source up sampling from 44,1kHz to 48kHz for example on player or eventually original material in two frequency. If there will be a will for that I can make it.

Meantime version with C128dp incorporated in current structure as F6 filter (44,1/48kHz only)

Attachments

• 1021filt_F6_C128dp.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 47

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Probably better to live with the filter for a few days and then switch filters and live with new one for a while and decide. I think this is better. If one cant judge which one is preferred by this method, I personally don't think there is a lot in it for one or the other really.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You have to try and tell me 😊

Paul’s NewNOS and C128dp they were inspiration. I trying to preserve all good things they have, tonal balance, dynamic, engagement and remove aliasing completely.
There is still a lot to improve especially with upsampling FIR filters and all pass filter. That’s why there are 4 filters to test and explore and share comments.
This kind of filtering it’s bit different from standard FIR Minimum phase filter.

The attenuation of >22k is only 55dB - are you satisfied with this?

The anti-alias IIR filters you deploy, what type, order (15?) and Fo (freq) does it have?

You talked about "external IIR filters" - are these now substituted by these DAM internal IIR? Or do you use both external and internal IIR filets?

//

The attenuation of >22k is only 55dB - are you satisfied with this?

The anti-alias IIR filters you deploy, what type, order (15?) and Fo (freq) does it have?

You talked about "external IIR filters" - are these now substituted by these DAM internal IIR? Or do you use both external and internal IIR filets?

//

If You took that number from picture it's noise floor generated by tone sweep test. Single tone on 21kHz or signal capture show full attenuation.
I don’t have fancy equipment to show more 😊
It’s IIR 15th order filter with cut of frequency just after 20kHz and full attenuation at 22,05kHz constructed from biquads – nothing spectacular.

I’m not using any external filters with this filter set now. This filters set it’s standalone complete solution.

Attachments

• 21kHz_tone.png
    21kHz_tone.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 189
  • signal_capture.png
    signal_capture.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 190

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK - thanks!

So 15th order = 90/oct => signal is down 90 dB at 40 000 Hz (one octave above 20k). I see attenuation at 22,05 is approx 50 dB. The theorem says no signals shall be allowed above Fs/2. Just as a comparison, my filters published here are >180 dB down at 22,04 to mitigate aliases. On the other hand its down several dB at 20k but only -0,04 at 17k... trading trading :)

//

I’ve been running my dam1121 a few days now.
Comparing with an AD1865. I like both😊
They are good at different things and as always it a matter of system synergy and personal taste.

I also have a borrowed Denafrips Terminator to benchmark against. The difference is not big but the Terminator has an edge!