Film capacitors i.o.f Electrolytics icm LM78xx regulators: Minimum Value required?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No the 250V was not a joke but it was discussed right when 230V was introduced. The higher the voltage the less loss and the thinner the cabling can be. That is why 110/115V is such a bad idea. I had US colleagues who had to transform 115 to 230V and elsewhere back again just to avoid more expensive bus bars etc. in high power situations which proves the point. 60 Hz was a nice choice.

Anyway, the change from 220 to 230V already had enough impact and the subject was not current anymore. I still am surprised seeing old equipment still at the 220V settings when they do have a 230 or 240V setting. Apparently not many people care.

As to why solely large value film caps are not a good choice: many classic regulators do not like extremely low ESR at their outputs. Only very modern LDO regs accept extremely low ESR.

And to the subject of cap replacement: forget you are dutch and just replace them all and also for known good stuff like Panasonic FC as it is the definite solution :D Cause is not only the heat but also the choice for cheap brands in a struggle to stay alive. When you see Lelon or Capxon caps you know something is wrong.

Generic info: I will not go deeper in the specific device but many brands also use 5V regs on 15V supply lines. It can help to add a small transformer/rectifier/filter cap on a PCB in such cases. Or the secondary voltages are chosen way too high in which case the 240V mains setting can have a slight positive effect. I designed complete replacement boards with LDO regs for such cases but that is not economical. Adding ventilation holes or slots can be done as well in cases where heat buildup occurs. Replacing the heatsinks for larger or higher ones can be a solution too. Just use your "gezond verstand" and you will have optimal results.

Last edited:
Jean-Paul,

Thnx!

However, it was not very wise of Cambridge (to say the least) to use these rubbish capacitors, because the Player was not cheap at all .

(Clearly a case of Penny wise- Pound foolish, because they have alienated a lot of customers, by now.

Cheers, Martin

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I guess they think: who cares? Most people buy stuff that someone else advises. Even if it is crap, when the marketing is good the sales is good. They would even buy a second device from the same manufacturer and tell you they are satisfied. It keeps surprising me that many consumers don't have the slightest idea what quality means. Maybe they are used to throwing away stuff anyway after 2 years?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.