Film capacitors for bypass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a variety of these and have tested them on a vector impedance meter up to 100 MHz or so. They don't seem to have any particular advantages or disadvantages over other radial lead film caps. I'd make the decision for audio signal applications by what the film type is, not the style. For bypassing I do like radial film caps and these work as good as any. Physical size and lead spacing will determine inductance and how effective they are at high frequencies. For really high frequencies nothing competes with surface mount ceramics, but only if you keep lead length under control

Many high end designers use MKP and FP capacitors for PS bypass. They are a few times larger than stacked foil polyester or multilayer ceramic.
Why? Better hf noise filtering due to better dielectric? Or just higher price, and better impression on customers?

Nothing I have ever seen say's you can improve on a COG/NPO surface mount for bypass. Besides, other than high power modules, unless you have a lousy pcboard, supply, or badly designed chip, bypassing isn't really going to buy you anything. In fact adding the inductance of lead detracts from good bypassing and can make the power to the part ring (oscillate). If an engineer forgot good bypassing I used to just take an SMT cap an place it on top of the chip with the shortest wires possible to the PS lead.

You can also couple noise into the chip or Power Supply if done wrong.

DC blocking caps and caps used for filtering (timing) do have a big effect IF your design is lacking.

Here is a audio rated cap I discovered for series audio use.
http://www.elna.co.jp/en/capacitor/alumi/catalog/pdf/rfs_e.pdf

Again, design is everything. The effect the cap will have on the sound is controlled by the ratio of the impedance of the cap at the low frequency end to the resistance it is working into. If you want to minimize the the effect the cap has on the sound going through it, lower it's impedance by increasing its value. DO NOT change the value of frequency response setting caps! Be sure you know what function the cap is performing before you change values.

Agreed about the bypass caps for audio, slightly higher ESR for bypass.

I am working on an offline switcher as we speak which NPO/C0G are critical, not the same app at all as audio bypass. Sorry.

I was reading up at how AL electrolytics are made the other day and there is a design factor that allows that type of cap to operate even slightly negative. The cap becomes very non-linear at anything above that threshold.

Supposedly today's non-polarized electrolytic caps are designed somewhat differently and are not the same as the older two_caps_back_to_back of yesterday. (You used to be able to see the outline of the two cans through the shrink wrap labels!) The

Again, if the cap is in the signal path, the lower the voltage dropped across it, the less effect its distortion can have on the signal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.