Ferrite core transformer design step by step

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rho.e=Rho(1+Alpha(WireTemp-Wireampient) - This will be used later in the wire calculations)

Wireampient means Wireambient right ?

Does that mean Temp of wire at ambientTemp?
and WireTemp is ? operating temp of wire ( operating temp of transformer)

MaxWireDia=2*Delta or 0.48mm Round up to .5mm or approximately 24AWG. Using JIS3032 2UEW 0.5mm magnet wire gives us a OD of 0.54mm (added insulation thickness).

What is the thumbrule for calculating current/cmsq. ( chocoholic had said in previous thread that this goes by thumbrule.) or a equation exists?

so that we can calculate number of strands of 24AWG required for Ipk of 8.3A.

Is margin tape the one which is in between two winding?

How is minimum core size that would be required, calculated?

The Area of the wire is Awb=PI()(r)^2
The Lp resistance is RcuPri=(Rho.e/Awb)*MLT*Np (told you we would eventually use it).
We will approximate the RMS current (there are precise calculations to do that and I will let you find them) by using the PawbPri=(Po/(n(90Vac*sqrt(2))))^2*(RcuPri) where n is the efficiency. If this number is acceptable (about 115mW for the primary winding).

Is 115mw copper losses at primary?
So for secondary losses, Would it be
RcuSec=(Rho.e/Awb)*MLT*Ns
PawbSec=(Po/(n(Vout)))^2*(RcuSec)

Total cu losses = Priloss + SecLoss. right ?

in previous thread you said that the good design is the one where copper losses and core losses are equal.

How do we calculate core losses?

Last edited:
Wireampient means Wireambient right ?

Does that mean Temp of wire at ambientTemp?
and WireTemp is ? operating temp of wire ( operating temp of transformer)

What is the thumbrule for calculating current/cmsq. ( chocoholic had said in previous thread that this goes by thumbrule.) or a equation exists?

so that we can calculate number of strands of 24AWG required for Ipk of 8.3A.

Wire temp would be 100C and Ambite would be 25C.

The rule of thumb is 500A/cm^2 and 300 is considered conservative. This is covered fairly well in McLymans book. However I do not agree with it. The reason is that it does not distinguish between short wires and long wires. If I remember correctly it uses the RMS current for the density calculation.

I am not denegrating wither Mclyman or Chocoholic. I am just saying that I consider wire temperature more than I consider current density.

Tony

If I remember correctly McLyman uses an AreaProduct calculation to estimate what core will be required. It utilized the Winding Area (bobbin width x Bobbin window Height) and the Ae of the core. There is indeed a correlation that you can walk through if you want. But again it ignores some key parameters. As I said at the beginning, I can run any power level through any core if I can get enough turns on it.

So... What is correct? I can give you some general ranges (these are for Flybacks). For 45-65W is usually an Ae of around 98mm^2, for 25-35W an Ae of around 54mm^2, 10-25W would be a core around 25-35mm^2 respectively. For 90W with a PFC front end then a Ae of 98 is OK. For 130W you will need something around 110mm^2, and for above 180W you are on your own because I would have shifted to a different topology.

There is also one other way... that is to use the black body approach and assume that your core has to dissipate 10% of the processed power. Look at the black body model and see if your estimated Delta T rise is going to be a reasonable number. We can cover that if you want.

And finally... If I ever need a gap larger than 1mm on a flyback or 2mm on the PFC Inductor then I up the Ae of or the frequency.

If you notice there is a trend here... For every rule there are several exceptions and fudge factors, all of which you can trade off to get the desired results. The question is what are your knobs and how hard do you turn them to achieve what you want.

You are correct on the Cu losses. You will need to also calculate the Gap loss. Unfortunately for an accurate estimation of the gap loss there is a

Tony

That was someone else that said the Cu should = the core losses.

This is again another rule of thumb (Again McLyman goes on at some length about this). For me, I worry a lot about efficiency, EMI, and cost so I tend to use more Ae and less Cu as that leads to a lower leakage design (higher efficiency and lower EMI) and a cheaper transformer.

Tony

OK... Now lets cover the section that is really only a SWAG (scientific wild a** guess), gap losses.

Gap losses are basically the imperfect storage/release of the energy in teh gap of the transformer. The more gap you have the higher the loss. There is really no way to accurately estimate the gap loss other than by a finite element analysis with some really expensive software.

McLyman covers gap losses fairly well and we will use his equations for the estimate. I will not use the Core Loss data from the data sheets because they are for forwards and not Flybacks.

Ki=0.0388
Pg=Ki*WindowWidth*(Bac^2)*lg*Fsw=12.3W
DeltaT is 194C using the plack body model - Way too high.

If we use 35Khz as the minimum then we need 86 turns and 1.6mH for the primary inductance. This is certainly too many turns.

If we use 50KHz then we end up with 1.1mH and 60 turns. That sound about the right number of turns. lg=0.452. Bac=0.37, but, your fringing flux went up (gap loss) so Pg=15W. Still too high.

I am still not comfortable making any judgments about the suitability of the core based on Gap loss calculations alone

If someone has a better estimate on how to calculate the gap losses I would appreciate it.

Tony

I am still unhappy about the above equations for DCM mode. For CCM operation Bac would yield about 3W for the gap loss which is about what I expect.

Anyway to continue on...

Pxfmr=Pcore+Pgap+Pwirelossprimary+Pwireloss secondary

I usually don't use the core loss figures and teh gap loss figures are an extimate but even though there are some inaccuracies we can take some general assumptions on the overall power loss and estimate if the core size is correct.

Assumption: transfomer losses are 1/2 the total losses in the system or 7W of the 15 available.

DeltaT rise over ambient is calculated as follows:

DeltaT=(Pxfmrloss/AT)^8.33 where AT is the surface are of the dissipation surface.
At 7W that gives us a DeltaT of about 119C

A core (EE) that has a higher surface are would actually bring the overall temperature down some. Since we are trying to run the core at 100C then this is probably still an OK number.

Tony

OK... I am going to make some final comments about the gap losses. These are thing to keep in mind when you are picking the CCM/DCM/QR topology. Bac is the AC component of Bmax. A CCM converter running at 65KHz and 25% DeltaI would have only about 3W of gap losses as apposed to the 12W from the QR converter. Thoase are calculated values and not measured. I can tell you from personal experiance That I have converter several QR designs from other engineers into CCM designs just because of the one issue.

The gap loss are really a funny thing and most people completely ignore them. I have seen several exampled of people using the iintegrated magnetics and a phase shifted full bridge that forget to add teh fringing flux into the design equations and then can't understand why they were only able to reach 250mT before the core started to saturate. The reality is that they were running 1.4x as high because of the gap on the core. The same goes for a resoanant inductor on a LLC. You have to ccount for the gap effect in your design equations.

This pretty well concludes what I had to say about a flyback. Anyone else that wants to chime in please do.

Thanks for listening.

Tony

OK... I am going to make some final comments about the gap losses. These are thing to keep in mind when you are picking the CCM/DCM/QR topology. Bac is the AC component of Bmax. A CCM converter running at 65KHz and 25% DeltaI would have only about 3W of gap losses as apposed to the 12W from the QR converter. Thoase are calculated values and not measured. I can tell you from personal experiance That I have converter several QR designs from other engineers into CCM designs just because of the one issue.

The gap loss are really a funny thing and most people completely ignore them. I have seen several exampled of people using the iintegrated magnetics and a phase shifted full bridge that forget to add teh fringing flux into the design equations and then can't understand why they were only able to reach 250mT before the core started to saturate. The reality is that they were running 1.4x as high because of the gap on the core. The same goes for a resoanant inductor on a LLC. You have to ccount for the gap effect in your design equations.

This pretty well concludes what I had to say about a flyback. Anyone else that wants to chime in please do.

Thanks for listening.

Tony

Very Important Input Thanks a lot.

I am having a walk through the previous posts. Re-calculating whole so to make sure that your student has been able to grasp it well . :xfingers:

Deeply thank you for the priceless experience.

Sir,
1) Why do we need triple insulated wire while using RM10, where as EE core won't need it?

If you are using margin tape then you do not need triple insulated wire. If you do not want to use margin tape then you have to use triple insulated wire. This applies to both cores equally. You either have to have mrgin tape or you have to have triple insulated wire.

Tony

From the Book, McLyman. Chapter 13. Design Example, Buck-Boost Isolated Converter Discontinuous Current, Step No. 25 Calculate the primary, the new micro Ohm/cm.

The equation is New micro Ohm/cm = (micro Ohm/cm) / (no. of strands at primary)

The value of micro Ohm/cm shown is 1345. I am not getting the reference for this value. also it was not calculated in any of the previous steps.

From the Book, McLyman. Chapter 13. Design Example, Buck-Boost Isolated Converter Discontinuous Current, Step No. 25 Calculate the primary, the new micro Ohm/cm.

The equation is New micro Ohm/cm = (micro Ohm/cm) / (no. of strands at primary)

The value of micro Ohm/cm shown is 1345. I am not getting the reference for this value. also it was not calculated in any of the previous steps.

Hey got the answer :)

OK... Back to you Skin depth calculation...
6.62/ Sqrt(frequency) This needs to have a Kcu term added to it.
This constant is the SQRT(Rho.e/Rho) where Rho.e is the adjusted electrical resistivity in Ohm-cm and Rho is the term at room temp.

Rho.e=Rho(1+Alpha(WireTemp-Wireampient) - This will be used later in the wire calculations)

Rho=1.7241*10^-6 ohm-cm Per Nema 1000
Alpha=0.0039 temperature compensation for Cu (use a different value if you are using Aluminum)

The Kcu=Sqrt(Rho.e/Rho)

Delta(which is skin depth)=6.62*Kcu/Sqrt(Fsw)=.24mm

MaxWireDia=2*Delta or 0.48mm Round up to .5mm or approximately 24AWG. Using JIS3032 2UEW 0.5mm magnet wire gives us a OD of 0.54mm (added insulation thickness).

We would next look at the length of the winding window in the bobbin. This is approximately 10mm (See bobbin data sheet). So our maximum number of turns is on a single layer using 0.5mm wire is 10/0.54 or 18 turns. However, we have a creapage / clearance issue to take care of. We need 5.1mm of margin (2.55mm on either side - Most will round the 5.1mm to 6 to provide more margin) inside the transformer for creapage distance. so that really only leaves 5mm for the winding area (using standard margin tape). If you are using tripple insulated wire on the secondar (or primary) you do not need margin tape.

At this point we have a decision to make. The lowest leakage transformers will give you the best efficiency and the best EMC performance. The lowest leakage is achieved by sandwiching layers of primary and secondary. For every sandwich layer we cut the leakage in half. Your target lakage should always be <1% of the primary indictace. There are some reasons for this but I won't go into that here.

So... what to use and how to construct it? I think the best construction is to use 3 layers of 10 turns each for a series number of turn=30. We will then sandwich 2 layers of secondary. To make the 10 turns happen we will need to reduce the wire diameter to 0.45mm so that the OD is now 0.49mm. So... build up your margin tape on either side and add a teflon sleeve to the start winding, wrap the lead around the bobbin pin and bring it across the margin boundary and wrap 10 turns, cross the other boundary and hand the extra wire outside the bobbin. Add 2 layers of transformer tape. Add the secondary layer (be sure to teflon sleeve the secondary side where it crosses the margin tape) and add 2 layers of tape. Bring the primary winding back across the margin tape and add 2 more layers of tape. Add another layer of secondary with tubing, tape, and then add the final layer of primary to give us the required 30 turns. The primary wire is now on the opposite side of the transformer. Bring it back across the transformer and add your final tape.

What we have now constructed is a Primary side referenced transformer. Meaning that you will need the same 5.1mm of clearance to all conductive surfaces on the secondary side that you had inside the transformer. You could have made it secondary side referenced in which case the tubing would have been on the primary wire and the clearance to the conductive surfaces would be for primary side parts.

We still may have to change our strategy once we calculate the copper resistance and power dissipation on the winding.

The Area of the wire is Awb=PI()(r)^2
The Lp resistance is RcuPri=(Rho.e/Awb)*MLT*Np (told you we would eventually use it).
We will approximate the RMS current (there are precise calculations to do that and I will let you find them) by using the PawbPri=(Po/(n(90Vac*sqrt(2))))^2*(RcuPri) where n is the efficiency. If this number is acceptable (about 115mW for the primary winding).

Next is the secondary side...

Ns1=(Vo+Vfd)*(1-DutyCycle)*Np/(DutyCycle*Vbulkmin*Kcoupling)

Vo is the output voltage, Vfd is the forward voltage drop of the output rectifier Npis the primary turns and Vbolkmin we calculated previously.

Kcoupling=Sqrt(1-Lk/Lp) If we used 10% leakage then we would have had a 5% error term that would have had to have been factored in.

Ns1=10

I'll leave you to do the wire selection for the secondary. Be sure you look at the overall bobbin height to make sure you fit in the bobbin withe all the other layers and tape.

Tony

Hello Tonny,

As I said I am going through book examples and trying to understand . also I am reading your lesson. I have some doubts on older posts. but I would ask you when I reach that stage.eg I have some question about transformer construction. But i would ask when I reach there.

Well, I have doubt about calculating no. of strands required.
I think, we did not cover this calculations. (pl. correct me. cause I am loaded in understanding the working mechanism of transformer. what is the importance of each parameter.)

Is it true that if I keep the frequency same. voltage same, but change current to say 10 times then the copper wire should be thicker? And so possibly more no of strands. right ?

There is only one real reason to use multiple strands... Efficiency.

When you have a waveform that has very high harmonic content (like a DCM flyback) is is common to use multiple strands of wire so that the higher frequency harmonics can easily flow in the wire and are not crowded out at the surface. If you think of a triangle wave you will see strong odd harmonic content in the EMI spectrum. These higher frequencies need to flow somewhere just like the fundamental frequency. So if you wanted to make sure the 3rd harmonic has an easy path to flow through then you would use multiple thinner wires so that you fully utilize the cross sectional area of the wire. For TM mode PFC often use Litz wire to improve their efficiency by dropping the Rac at the higher switchign frequencies.

When specifying a tranfer to be built outside, you would usually specify the test frequency and votlage (100KHz and 1V as an example) and you would ask for the test data for the Rac so you could insude that the transformer was built correctly.

Was this what you were asking for or do you need additional details?

Tony

Tonny, you have added some important things to my knowledge.

But there was something else I was trying to ask. Well let me try again.

I am reading McLyman. To under it better I am using same example as in book.( Chapter 13. Design Example, Buck-Boost Isolated Converter Discontinuous Current)

I have created an microsoft excel sheet . So that I can play with variables. and see effects on each parameter. while doing this I keep frequency unchanged (100khz) and total wattage equal to 18.5W or less unchanged.

now when I changed the current requirement at secondary. I expected only thickness of wire(or number of strands required) should change and not turns. But it was not so.

Now correct me If wrong:

1) when I change total wattage of the transformer , the thickness of wire used for primary winding ( or the number of strands) but it does not happen so. I have verified the equations set in excel sheet.

2) If I change VA ratings for one of the two secondary, the other secondary too will change its winding parameters. which actually should not be.

The above things leaves me doubt on equations given in the book.

hope I could explain this time.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.