FE206ES-R, first impressions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't recall seeing cobalt-lanthanum spec'd for the 206EsR, fostex list magnet material Ferrite.
I thought only the FE166EsR had a Colbalt-Lanthanum magnet.

FE206ES-R - Einklang Audio

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fe206es-r-einklang-audio.jpg
    fe206es-r-einklang-audio.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 291
Hi all. I have been using my fe 206 esr for 6 years now. Enclosure are the fostex recommended enclosure. T90 aex with 0.33uf cap with attenatuor. Took a long time to find proper damping. Now polyfill style damping behind driver ans in CC. Tried wool, hemp fiber.... my fe206 esr was initially mounted on the fostex brass ring (m5 bolt) which in turn is fixed on M6 wood inserts on the front baffle. I was not convinced by the difference so in the end, slightly enlarged the mounting holes of the driver so they can accept M6 bolts, allowing me to mount it on the ring or just directly on the front baffle. Now the 206 esr is just mounted directly on the front baffle. I also made a wooden ring which has been designed to accept other type of drivers and mount on the front baffle but this has not been used yet. As far as wiring is concerned 24awg solid core wire. I haven't made experiments with other style of wire such as magnet wires. Listening is done on a EL34 PP amp (verdier) and with a pass ACA one I have finished building it.

Hi all. I have been using my fe 206 esr for 6 years now. Enclosure are the fostex recommended enclosure. T90 aex with 0.33uf cap with attenatuor. Took a long time to find proper damping. Now polyfill style damping behind driver ans in CC. Tried wool, hemp fiber.... my fe206 esr was initially mounted on the fostex brass ring (m5 bolt) which in turn is fixed on M6 wood inserts on the front baffle. I was not convinced by the difference so in the end, slightly enlarged the mounting holes of the driver so they can accept M6 bolts, allowing me to mount it on the ring or just directly on the front baffle. Now the 206 esr is just mounted directly on the front baffle. I also made a wooden ring which has been designed to accept other type of drivers and mount on the front baffle but this has not been used yet. As far as wiring is concerned 24awg solid core wire. I haven't made experiments with other style of wire such as magnet wires. Listening is done on a EL34 PP amp (verdier) and with a pass ACA one I have finished building it.

What do you think of the speakers after 6 years of usage in terms of sound quality? Does it improves overtime?

I havent done anything for the damping, but i think it sounds great even without any damping. The bolts is a nice touch, i feel like my screw on the mdf got loose after i take it off several time.

Sound does improve overtime, especially after a couple of months of breaking in. At the beginning, I did 12hrs per day of breaking in (while my office was closed), connecting the speakers to a FM tuner and a small T amp. Then onto my main system for the last 6 years. I have enough bass for my liking and for the music I listen to. After that, I felt the speakers gradually improved but may be that my ears got used to their specific character.

BHD

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
I used my 206ES-R drivers for more than ten years in Sachiko cabinets and they worked very, very well. I bet they'd work well in the newer version (Kirishima) and maybe even the Woden Audio Vulcan. I used them with a Korneff 45 SET integrated amp and have been very happy with them.

I've recently purchased a used pair of Oris horns and am going to be using the ES-R drivers in them with a huge BIB woofer that uses 15" JBL 2220A drivers. It should be interesting. I think the ES-R's will do very well in the Oris horns with their limited x-max.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.