Favourite Fostex 8"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, quite true, Fostex drivers aren't too popular for open baffles as their Q is often way too low and don't have enough cone-excursion; like most full-range drivers really. That's not to say they don't work, as you've clearly just found out! I'd be interested in hearing an F200a though. Glad you're enjoying them -they don't look that bad from the picture either... then again, I was once threatened by a former girlfriend that if I ever built another pair of speakers, I would be put, together with the speakers, outside. I asked if she would throw some speaker wire out as a joke. I regretted the comment for the rest of the evening. ;-)
BTW, the FX200 is now discontinued -I suspect that retailers are now simply selling what's left of their stock.

Cheers
Scott

I actually emailed spectrumaudio and they said that they do not have any instock. The FX200 seemed to model better than the F200A when I modeled it in winISD.

timolien,
I'm in a similar boat to where you were, searching for a good full range and of all the drivers I've modeled the FX200 has been the best and I'm dying to get my hands on one, but I can't find any (BTW if anyone wants to get rid of some please let me know). How are the 208E sigmas' bass? does it go pretty low? How are 40hz tones?

Josh

edjosh23,

Bass, nothing much below 80 and dropping fast. But I now hooked up a sub beneath them and that obviously makes a lot of difference. What I now hear is bass, but is's very muddy compared to what's above. Well, can't have it all. The tweeters were a nice addition too. In the beginning I listened to the 208s without tweeters. You don't really miss them unless you add them, then you can't put them away anymore.

I guess to get real bass out of them, I'll need to go BLH.

Does someone know how deep they go in BLH ? Will they get to 40, 30 ?

Gert

Well, as I said earlier, Kleinhorns are a bit out of my real estate league. Fostex recommended or thereabouts will be the max I can get away with.

Any idea what to expect in that case ?

Will they still need subs ? And if so, any suggestions for DIY subs with compatible output ? Passive, active ?

Gert

My favourite Fostex 8" is the FE206E. Price is important to me and it is the cheapest. Lots of good designs for it too. So I bought a pair and have them in "break-in" cabinets. Not as nice as your Ob's timolean.
The loaded cab with my avatar drawn on it is the Martin King Project 5. The second cab under construction is a little taller and has a filter chamber and throat sized like the Dallas II.
The material is Barnside, sort of a non-pressed waterproofed Masonite that came from my old shed after hurricane Ivan destroyed it. This wood is so bad my dog won't even fetch it.

Attachments

• fe206breakin.jpg
    fe206breakin.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 734
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.