Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
When I listened to the tracks first on the crappy usb headphones, the first vocal track had some nasty distortion on the right channel at the end of the track which seemed first listen to be worse on some tracks than others, but then I started to not be able to tell :rolleyes:

I've just done a little bit of DiffMaker type of investigation, and there's a couple of things of interest which may or may not help people: in the DA/AD loop there's a little bit of phase shift at the low end; and, the right channel has more distortion than the left in the midrange, not dramatically so, but definitely visible ...

Hmmm, it seems that my first impressions are probably the ones I should take most note of!!

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have seen slightly more distortion in the right channel on this card. Phase, I don't know. Don't see it with most tests, but I can double check.

The sound card isn't perfect, of course. But the point is: How different is the copper from other, lesser, materials?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've been testing to get the cleanest loops I can, and have found that Direct Sound and MME can by glitchy with this M-Audio card. ASIO is always excellent, but I don't have software that will record via ASIO. Playback no problem. Gotta find something to record with.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Well it looks like this test has fizzled out. I've gotten only 4 people to guess which material is which - three of whom correctly picked the original file. Been deadly silent for days. Are the rest of you cowards, deaf, or just not interested?

Haven't had time... :)

I suspect you've also put off a few people by posting other's results. I would have kept quiet about everything until the final reveal.

Tried following up Pano's comment on comparing copper with other materials - so, how about steel wool?

Scary stuff ... the nulling between copper and steel wool is impressively good, can get as good as -60dB at the peak of the original waveform, if fine tuning of amplitudes is used. If the difference file is amplified 50dB, then every area where there is a significant deviation can be seen to be merely an echo of the original waveform -- this implies that subtle timing wobbles are more of an issue, at the visual level, than other things ...

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The tracks should be trimmed only at the beginning and the end, nothing in between. But there could be a mistake somewhere.

Diff Maker often reports a sample rate drift for these files, I doubt it's a real drift. I think what happens is glitches that cause offsets, and Diff Maker see those as drift. I've been trying to fix that. If I could get both playback and record thru ASIO a lot of those glitches should go away.

That article appears to make at least two mistakes, which may be sufficient to render its conclusions invalid:
1. failure to distinguish between phase and group velocity - his speed calculations look suspiciously low,
2. failure to recognise that the 'energy storage' is simply internal inductance.

Hawksford seems to have a knack for writing articles which look impressive and 'scientific' yet his arguments often don't hold water.

For me, it's too close to call on my PC-speakers (which are quite good), and I am too busy with other stuff to move the test to the large system.

At any rate, the differences between the uncompressed files appears smaller than between these files and the MP3's that where posted in the beginning of this thread; between FLAC and MP3 I could differentiate with some measure of confidence.

Quite remarkeable all this.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks. Are you saying you find more difference between FLAC and MP3 than between the materials - or something else?

Here is the key for the second round.
A: steel wool
B: copper
C: wine
E: mud
F: original

Coffee, Coke and Salt water were dropped.

I recently immersed my interconnects in hydrofluoric acid (along with some rocks I was trying to dissolve the quartz off of). After a few minutes, the sound took on an ethereal quality, and ultimately the sound of the interconnects vanished completely, and the music followed suit.

However, I still heard the music in my head.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.