F5T v2 New Build

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I'm just going by the PS schematic in the F5 Turbo article which shows 7 .47-ohm 3W resistors. '
Yep, but you weren't before. That's why I called it out.

I also have 88kuF of capacitance on each rail.
Yes, but Nelson (assuming he used 15kuF) has 120k. See the schematic.

Edited. Opened the article and zoomed in. He's showing 10kuF (far right side). See... that's what I get for a WAG. So he's got 80k, and you've got 88. Apologies for the smoke without fire.

Last edited:
Work continued all morning on this build, and my fingers are sore! Next steps are to:
  • Test the power supply on a dim bulb
  • Connect the power supply to the boards
  • Add the thermistors and solder the mosfets to the boards
  • Wire the inputs and outputs
  • Start biasing.
20220205_150516.jpg

20220205_150532.jpg

I spent another full morning on it. Power supply fired up fine except the LED on the negative side was backward, fixed that. Inputs and outputs are wired, everything screwed down, MOSFETs soldered. The only thing to do is connect the PS to boards and bias it up.

20220206_131202.jpg

20220206_131157.jpg

It's a colorful build.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, but you weren't before. That's why I called it out.

Yes, but Nelson (assuming he used 15kuF) has 120k. See the schematic.

Edited. Opened the article and zoomed in. He's showing 10kuF (far right side). See... that's what I get for a WAG. So he's got 80k, and you've got 88. Apologies for the smoke without fire.
Just saw your update. I'm glad I'm not off base here, and appreciate you looking out for me!

Powered up the 2nd board on the DBT and the bulb stays lit brightly. I measured the resistance across the output, and it starts shorted then slowly rises. The good side measures a steady 59.5 ohms across the output.

I went over everything visually and verified that the N and P channel transistors are in the right places. Any tips?

Great to hear that you have one channel up and running. A nice and tidy looking build as well!

For the second channel, the first easy thing to check is to use your DMM and check for electrical isolation between the center pins of your output mosfets and the sink. This should measure open loop. Do this with no power applied. Also, look for any component leads that might be extending through the PCB and hit the sink underneath. Did that trick myself with my last ACA build.

Glad to hear that you powered/tested only one channel at a time - this reduces headaches for sure.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
final screw tightening goes when everything is aligned

higher level of alignment precision for Modushop cases would more likely induce more problems during assembly , than benefits

and it'll cost more

in fact, from engineering point of view, pretty much every detail on Modu cases is perfect - things which can be made better are ........ irrelevant

Reactions: 1 user
final screw tightening goes when everything is aligned

higher level of alignment precision for Modushop cases would more likely induce more problems during assembly , than benefits

and it'll cost more

in fact, from engineering point of view, pretty much every detail on Modu cases is perfect - things which can be made better are ........ irrelevant
OK, so loosen everything then line up the holes on the top&bottom. I haven't had to do that with the other Modushop cases.

I put in a 4A fuse and it powers on now without blowing it. Unfortunately, the left channel has a problem, and one of the P channel MOSFETs just smoked.

I do have another pair of JFETs, could these cause the voltage imbalance across the N and P channels? I can't find anything else wrong with the boards. The right channel is happy.