F5 power amplifier

The heatsinks in the 4U-300 dissipante are close to identical to a Fischer SK56.
A SK56 in 150mm does 0.34C/W, see e.g. : FISCHER ELEKTRONIK|SK 56/ 150 SA|HEAT SINK, EXTRUDED | Farnell United Kingdom

The 3U-400 looks like a Fischer SK479, 120mm has a close to identical C/W value, see e.g. : http://www.hifituning24.de/downloads/sk93.pdf

For the same type heatsink profile there's indeed a close to linear relationship between C/W and L*W*D (aka volume) within a comparable heatsink length range.

(beats me where HiFi2000 get's their numbers)

Last edited:
I'm familiar with Conrad heatsinks, for quite a while, longer than this forum exists.
The question was about Fischer heatsinks and their reference temperature rise above ambient (hint 1 : read Fischer literature)
I build two alephs with Fischer heat sinks, and if you don’t take this correction factors in account, they run hot. Method for temperature is touch for 5 sec, Indeed they are not painted but far as I know that can reduce temperature about max 10%

The question was about Fischer heatsinks and their reference temperature rise above ambient (hint 1 : read Fischer literature)
Couldn't find any hard numbers from Fischer, which is why I used the values for Conrad, and tried to do a cross reference as far as possible. Please link any info you may have.

I did some rough calculations, where I compared heatsink from the Conrad and Fischer catalogs. I used the big, German catalog from Fischer, and had to compensate a bit for different volumes and number of fins. Used a standard height of 100mm (4") throughout:

MF10-100: 0.83 K/W (80 deg C)
SK92-100: 0.75 K/W (Compensation 40/30 for lower fin height)

MF20-100: 0.47 K/W (80 deg C)
SK47-100: 0.52 K/W (Compensation 40/30 for lower fin height)

MF30-100: 0.32 K/W (80 deg C)
SK568-100: 0.36 (Compensation (40/50) * (30/23), fewer fins, but higher)

MF35-100: 0.28 K/W (80 deg C)
SK523-100: 0.5 K/W (? deg C)

So the first three examples match pretty well for a temperature rise of 80 degrees Centigrade. None of the Fisher heatsinks are anywhere near having a thermal resistance 50% higher than their Conrad counterpart. Yet on the last example the thermal resistance shoots up on the Fischer sink, suggesting the data is now for a different rise in temperature.

With data like this and no word to the contrary I take the safe route, and assume both sets of data is for a temperature increase of 80 C. Would love to learn differently, the Fischer data seems odd...

- Frank.

IMHO, even precise calculations won'nt tell you completely how the heatsink will behave as it depends also where you place it.
The air flow can be way different following environnement/placement conditions.
I couldn't agree more, but we have to start *somewhere*. :)

The original datasheet values would hopefully give us an absolute minimum size, if a builder feel this point is very important. More is always better here, of course. ;)