F5 power amplifier

I don't think so. One issue is noise, but you can filter that
with a CLC circuit and some distance, and the other issue is
peak output - you must make sure the supply is rated
beyond any instantaneous peak current the load will draw.

:cool:

Thanks Nelson for your reply ; the SMPS quoted below can draw 10A, and 13A in peak, so 1/channel is needed.

http://connexelectronic.com/redirec...MPS500R.pdf&osCsid=8r4odm418vrl8o08tg4h7sguj3

I don't know how good it is regarding noise...

I forget what he charges to encapsulate. It seems most people don't do it. So I'm guessing there isn't much benefit in this application. Maybe it would run hotter if encapsulated.

It is about 35 $ to encapsulate a 300 W transformer.

I was thinking of getting two units, so I will decide later if I want to build monoblocks or stereo amp. This could change to voltage, I guess.

D.

It is about 35 $ to encapsulate a 300 W transformer.

I was thinking of getting two units, so I will decide later if I want to build monoblocks or stereo amp. This could change to voltage, I guess.

D.

I wouldn't spend the money for potting. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a little more VA then you need for a stereo amp. I got a quote for a 500VA transformer a couple months back for $98 US which I thought was a reasonable price.

The main benefit of the fully encapsulated SumR is that it is shielded so it emits far less EMF and it dampens any 60Hz vibration or mechanical hum. I order all of mine shielded and fully encapsulated as I like the extra shielding and the finished amps just look so much better. You can print designs on full coverage CD labels and cover the tops of them too.

SumR will design the toroid to output to meet whatever voltage you want. He can also upsize the core to improve the regulation and reduce the DCR of the secondaries. Not as critical on the F5, but on my electrostatic headphone amps it was crucial to maintain correct rail voltages.

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has templates or drawings of cviller's original F5 boards?

I finally found a case (par-metals -22-17125C - he's got these up on ebay), and I'm looking at purchasing one but I'd like them to drill out a few more holes so I can mount the boards/mosfets, jacks, speaker binding post, switch , etc...

My metalworking skills are horrible. :)

Thanks,
JG

I measured the spacing between center pins for the output devices on the boards that are sold through the diyaudio store, and it looks like its 8cm.

My only recommendation on the chassis is that you ensure that the heatsinks are anodized, as that will increase the amount of heat that can be dissipated through radiation.