F5 power amplifier

If you have access to a school's metal shop, or another metal shop - you can make ur own heatsinks...

If you search back in this thread I spoke about doing just this.

I have done it, it works fine, better than any commercial heatsink I could buy in fact. Back about 15 years ago Nelson came out with the first Zen, I came out with a DC coupled SE amp... it ran about 120 watts in heat for about 30-35 watts of output... convection cooled. Got hot, but not that hot... so the heatsinks worked! :D

_-_-bear

EDIT: for some reason the image link in the old post does not seem to work, even though the actual link has not changed... here it is: SE MoSFET Amp Image
Here's the link back in the thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-124.html#post1999802

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Thanks Bear.

Has anybody ventured to make a water cooled F5 yet? g full of water. Hmmm...

Your thoughts, please gentlemen....

This comes up every so often. There ARE some advantages to watercooling, mostly if you have the stuff around as you said or can get radiators or heater cores from an auto wrecking yard or used air conditioning equipment. Or if you have a fish pond..

There are various threads on the topic. One of the best is by Grey Rollins and is for an Aleph amp, which is also Class A, so the issues are the same . Search the forums for Water Cooling and I think that you will find it.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I just matched some IRFP's -- spoke with some reps at the bigger distributors and Vishay seems to have some inventory management issues. They are on allocation.

This seems to be a typical situation when the economy starts
to recover - lead times get stretched out, which is one reason
why we beef up inventory during recessions. The other
reason is that we can often get better pricing.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
you're making 2K++ amp , and you're talking about cheaper ways ?

considering bang for the buck , I'll not loose sleep about origin of my mosfets , as long they're genuine

anyway - look here :

Reno HiFi

maybe that will change perspective of what's cheap and what's not expensive for your new toy .

and remember - most important thing is free - project ......