F5 power amplifier

The bias of the left channel is slightly below that of the right channel (~ 25mV lower / 0.05A).

Consider that 3W and up metalfilm resistors are 5% accurate, as the Pana ECG type that's used by most.
Means your DMM can read a lower bias, but the actual idle current is higher than scheduled. (unless you measured the drain resistors)
Metalplate meanderband drain/collector resistors, the common white blocks in Asian power amps, usually have an accuracy of 10%.

Does anyone have a part number on some 3 conductor (with shield) cable that I can use for an umbilical cord to connect an external power supply to the amp?

I will try a one box solution first. But, I will most probably remove the power supply after some time to see if there is a worthwhile difference. But, I'm having a little trouble sourcing 3 conductor shielded cable. I think 16 gauge should be sufficient.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Consider Canare's star quad 4S11. It uses 4 runs of 14g. You can leave one run unterminated for shielding.

Speaker Cable at Blue Jeans Cable

Umbillical

Hey alazira,
Thanks for the heads up.
I have no problem with 4 conductors. But, I was hoping to find a cable with an outer shield.
Parts Express has 3 conductor power cables in different gauges at reasonable prices. But, none had an outer shield. The only one they have with an outer shield is a 12 gauge teflon one. And that one is very expensive.

Thanks,
Steve

Hey alazira,
Thanks for the heads up.
I have no problem with 4 conductors. But, I was hoping to find a cable with an outer shield.
Parts Express has 3 conductor power cables in different gauges at reasonable prices. But, none had an outer shield. The only one they have with an outer shield is a 12 gauge teflon one. And that one is very expensive.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

If you really want an outer shield you can use metal mesh sleeves

McMaster-Carr

You can use it with 3 conductor cables, just ground one end.:)

Hey udailey,

I could try that. But wouldn't it be better to find a cable with an outer shield? Wouldn't that give better shielding than grounding the extra conductor of a 4 conductor cable?

Thanks,
Steve

What he means is leave one of the conductors unterminated (i.e. you will have 2 wires connected to the ground on one end and only one connected at the other). It will act as a shield. Shields don't work if you have them grounded on both ends.

As far as 4 conductor vs 3+mesh, the mesh will be slightly better.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I thought it would be safer to use outer shield with F5, in repect to "noise sensibility", but maybe I have misunderstood

If you dont like to use the shield fore signal you can do a pseudo balanced cable, which was common in the old days
Its a 2 conductor with outer shield
Outer shield is electrically connected in one end only

I have always found it best to connect the shielded end to preamp

I thought it would be safer to use outer shield with F5, in repect to "noise sensibility", but maybe I have misunderstood

If you dont like to use the shield fore signal you can do a pseudo balanced cable, which was common in the old days
Its a 2 conductor with outer shield
Outer shield is electrically connected in one end only

I have always found it best to connect the shielded end to preamp

Hi Tinitus,

He's talking about power connectors, for which shielding is usually less of an issue. For signal I have found that a mesh shield works better than a tightly braided shield wire.

Umbillical

Hey Tinitus,
I wans't talking about the mains either. I was talking about the cable that would run between the power supply case and the amp case -- if I used a separate box for the power supply and a separate box for the amplifier.

However, I was going to use a shielded cable for the mains as well. I do not know the pros and cons of this. But, I did have a 5 foot section of shielded cable lying around that I was going to use for the mains.

Steve

bobbodioulasso --
If I was to go that route, then the next step would be to get up the pole and shield the drop line coming into my house -- I'm kidding of course.

Andtew T -- I have no idea if shielding is going to make a difference or not. Conceptually it seems to make sense. But in reality it may make no audible difference. The mains cable I had lying around. So, I figured I'd try it. However, my assumption is that after the transformers it may start to yield improvements. I would think that picking up noise in the umbillical ( at a point after most of the supply filtering) might be heard. So shielding at that point may be beneficial. But again, I have no practical experience.

Steve

if you do go for separate PSU and amp chassis then I suggest the rough smoothing be done in the PSU box. Fit the secondary smoothing right next to the amplifier power terminals. This creates an rCrC type power supply, not quite as good as RCRC, but certainly better than rC which most builders use.
The transformer and rectifier resistances are the first "r", the umbilical cable is the second "r". It is obvious that really thick umbilical wires defeats the benefit of creating the rCrC. Use a double thickness or more for the ground link and use another dedicated wire for the Safety Earth. You are now up to 5core in the umbilical.

long wires are often trouble in power amps

Does anyone have a part number on some 3 conductor (with shield) cable that I can use for an umbilical cord to connect an external power supply to the amp?

I will try a one box solution first. But, I will most probably remove the power supply after some time to see if there is a worthwhile difference. But, I'm having a little trouble sourcing 3 conductor shielded cable. I think 16 gauge should be sufficient.

Thanks,
Steve

Short answer, don't do it.

16ga is way too small even in the same box, imo.

The long PS wiring increases the potential for parasitics and RFI pick up. I would be concerned about the Vdrop from the longish runs, and the effect on the hum & noise floor.

Otoh, if you don't care about these things, it will likely function as an amplifier, but probably not quite optimal.

YMMV.

_-_-bear

Andrew --
Actually, I was going to do CLC in the PS box. Then I was going to add a final (of lesser value capacitance) bank of caps close to th eamp board in the amp case. So, ther should be CLCrc (I think).

I was thinking of just running a seperate safety earth wire between the two chassis. This way the Umbillical would only be 4 conductor if I doubled up on the ground (or 3 conductor if I did not doubleup on the ground).

How does all that sound?

Steve

the last C must be big.
It has to deliver the transient current demand and that can be enormous.

so you have CLCrCC

The last CC determines the audio quality, that's where to spend the money. I believe the two earlier C & C have little effect on the audio quality

Last edited: