F5 power amplifier

I just want to make a comment about low impedance speakers.
According to simulation (FFT) the distortion proflile doesn't look to pretty into 4Ohm loads at higher power output (ie 20W RMS/Channel and above).
I have simmed an F5 version with 3 Paralleled output pairs which improves things significantly.

Here is an image of the results.

Attachments

• f5 distortion into 4ohms.zip
    76.2 KB · Views: 120
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
bobodioulasso said:

I usually double this rating for a 2x100w class AB amp (bottom in multi-amplification). Though, who will use F5 on a 2 ohm load? Is'nt the limiting current circuit set too low for this ( i do not remember, as i do not use any)?

F5 provides peak ac current (half-wave) of max. 10A, i.e. pk-pk of max. 20A . . . So, the class B operation upto 100W@2-ohm load is possible. Who will use this . . . ? I have no idea . . .

Of course, I like to use "big" transformers . . .

:)

thanh1973 said:
I just want to make a comment about low impedance speakers.
According to simulation (FFT) the distortion proflile doesn't look to pretty into 4Ohm loads at higher power output (ie 20W RMS/Channel and above).
I have simmed an F5 version with 3 Paralleled output pairs which improves things significantly.

Here is an image of the results.

Have you checked that it is not just the extra gate capacitance which lowers the cut frequency in the low pass filter?

It is also better into 8 ohm loads.

However I should say there is a cost to this: 3 x the total power dissipation = bigger heat sinks, and bigger transformers (ie VA rating)

Just so there is no confusion bias current through each output mosfet is the same as original version.

Measurements were performed at 1000Hz.

bobodioulasso said:
I usually double this rating for a 2x100w class AB amp
AndrewT said:
1kVA for 100W+100W ClassAB is unusually high. I don't think there are many here who would recommend that VA to W ratio and few builders who would follow that advice.
bobodioulasso said:

I do not give any advice, just telling what i do.

For a 2x 100w/8 ohms capable of 2x400w/2 ohms
so which is it that you use?
a 100W+100W amplifier powered by a 1kVA transformer
or
a 200W+200W amplifier powered by a 1kVA transformer
or
a 400W+400W amplifier powered by a 1kVA transformer.

I will answer "advice" by private Email, it's too far off topic to expand here.

There is 30 Watts (heat dissipation) per device, multiply by 6, and you get 180Watts total per channel.
Hence the heat sinks suggested earlier should be adequate.

I know this can be done because I have a JLH class A which dissipates 160W (heat) per channel, and the heat sinks I have are smaller. and I can touch the heatsinks no problem (temp is below 60 degrees Celsius)

Well to be on the safe and conservative side you could buy 4 and make a cube just like the Aleph 3 http://calab.kaist.ac.kr/~cgkim/audio/amp/zen/www.passlabs.com/images/a3_lg.jpg