F5 power amplifier

f5 feedback mod per NP

Just thought I'd post my initial impressions of having modified the feedback network relative to Nelson's suggestion( R11 & 12 to 1 ohm/
R5 & R8 to 100 ohms and R1 & R2 to 22ohms-pass site)
Yep,Yep amp runs a little cooler(perhaps 8-10 degree farenheit) and the "tight fist" now has a velvet glove!
I found the original spec a bit dry and etched in sound relative to my dynaco st70- accurate and detailed but lacking a bit of body or warmth. The new feedback seems to be a definite step in the right direction. This am I'm listening to Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark"(DCC issue) and on "Twisted" the trumpet is nicely placed behind Joni, edgy but not etched. I clearly hear her pushing the air from her sinuses, from her throat, from her chest depending on the note or the intended emphasis. Cheech and Chong sound like Cheech and Chong and perhaps they have been consuming some controled substances? Judge for yourselves, point is the sound is more relaxed. I have even turned my REL Strata sub down from a x-over point in the mid 40's to the high 30's- I don't need the extra warm. This is subtle but very indicative of the change from the feedback modification. Thanks for the suggestion Nelson. N.P. you won't have any measurement or o-scope shots of this feedback level relative to the original spec would you?
Thanks for your help in this.
Probably dumb question but here goes- two identical transformers wired in parallel(ac input joined together4 wires to 2/ ac output 8 wires to 4) gives me the same voltage and twice the amperage(VA)-yes,yes?
have a great weekend, you-all
rob

Re: f5 feedback mod per NP

rob lenk said:
Just thought I'd post my initial impressions of having modified the feedback network relative to Nelson's suggestion( R11 & 12 to 1 ohm/
Yep,Yep amp runs a little cooler(perhaps 8-10 degree farenheit) and the "tight fist" now has a velvet glove!

Probably dumb question but here goes- two identical transformers wired in parallel(ac input joined together4 wires to 2/ ac output 8 wires to 4) gives me the same voltage and twice the amperage(VA)-yes,yes?
rob

Thanks Rob. Will surely try it when I finally build an F5.

Yes...voltage(V) stays, double the amps(A) and hence double the power(VA)

Hi dear Babo,

Without having made food yet, how if I put more this and that or another . . . ???

You got me.
Early in my DIYer career I discovered that I cannot stick strictly to offered schematics and always build with mods (even if my very limited knowledge would counsel against) and then cannot help but continue modding...I think this is a common feeling around here...
I would say without false modesty that I recognize a good idea when I see it, he, he... :cool:

In this case I will proceed as with my B1. The power supply will feature ECdesigns- charge transfer circuit and will then regulate with Teddy Pardo-s PowerReg. I will try to post picks of the power rails.

The box will be completely DIY :( . Ugly but I think it will ran cool as I am using it for the Zero Component Amp, ZCA, which is a little Class A amp with around 1,5A current at idle.

Regards,
M

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I suppose its not two transformers in paralel, but double windings on each transformer in paralel
One transformer on each rail
Problem is then whether transformers are matched closely to get excact same voltage on each rail?

JC951t said:
Im afraid you can't parallel transformers.
One will run hot as I've discovered in my early
foray into diy audio

btw, if in EU

Just seen that BMM now sell Amplimo toroids with the hard to get low voltage/high wattage
As I recall theres 2x 18V with both 6A and 10A;)

Re: f5 feedback mod per NP

rob lenk said:
I found the original spec a bit dry and etched in sound relative to my dynaco st70- accurate and detailed but lacking a bit of body or warmth. The new feedback seems to be a definite step in the right direction. This am I'm listening to Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark"(DCC issue) and on "Twisted" the trumpet is nicely placed behind Joni, edgy but not etched. I clearly hear her pushing the air from her sinuses, from her throat, from her chest depending on the note or the intended emphasis. Cheech and Chong sound like Cheech and Chong and perhaps they have been consuming some controled substances? Judge for yourselves, point is the sound is more relaxed. I have even turned my REL Strata sub down from a x-over point in the mid 40's to the high 30's- I don't need the extra warm. This is subtle but very indicative of the change from the feedback modification. Thanks for the suggestion Nelson. N.P. you won't have any measurement or o-scope shots of this feedback level relative to the original spec would you?
Thanks for your help in this.
rob

Hi Rob,
Does this mod change the gain any? And if it runs cooler perhaps the bias can be increased?
Garrett
Finally finished work. Now will go home and see who the Lakers will be playing
:cool:

steveleen said:
Safety concerns noted.
I just read up on switch mode power supplies and the contamination via the AC line using these types of power supplies is a cause for concern. I knew the ones for computers do contaminate, but was not aware that the charger sized units cause problems. Will do a listening test with and without to determine if there is an audible difference.
Thanks,
Steve

If the designer followed the rules for emc this shouldnt happen.
Sadly a lot of people mark their products as EMC approved when they are not.

I spent 6 months EMC testing and the regulations are very tight on PFC and noise both radiated and conducted.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Paralleling transformers?

For your info . . .
Mine has no problem yet . . .
Still alive . . .

:)

Attachments

• xzv2powersupply01.jpg
    xzv2powersupply01.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,389
nigelwright7557 said:

If the designer followed the rules for emc this shouldnt happen.
Sadly a lot of people mark their products as EMC approved when they are not.

I spent 6 months EMC testing and the regulations are very tight on PFC and noise both radiated and conducted.

Stateside, I think that if the WalMart, Costco, Walgreen and Radio Shack's were required to certify compliance with FCC Part 15 fo things they sell the problems would go away. In fact, the problem would disappear world-wide as the big retailers would force the stuff back up the pipeline.

I am straying a bit, but we have traffic signals and monitors which emit radiation that you can measure hundreds of feet away. My DAC power supply went into the waste-basket almost immediately upon receipt.

The best test is an a.m. radio detuned from a broadcast station.

The problem is bad, and getting worse -- compact fluorescents emit all sorts of EMI and RFI.

F5 is completed. The attached pic may be of interest to some who are considering a point-to-point wiring approach as opposed to using a printed circuit board. It was fun and challenging to build, but not too complex. The amp parts come from TECH-DIY, where I selected the Vishay/IRF hexfet kit. The power supply is based on the schematic shown on the last page of the F5 Operations Manual (with its included F5 construction article). Power supply parts and fans were ordered from Farnell-Newark Singapore. The fans’ power supply parts are locally sourced. The transformer is only 250VA – I could not find a 300VA unit through Farnell; it gets just slightly warm, but otherwise OK. The chassis and heat sinks were bought here in Jakarta at the famous Glodok electronics parts market – a dark, hot, crowded network of tiny shops that is actually a fun place to explore. The heat sinks were slightly under spec, therefore the fans.

The sound of the F5? It has a magical see-through quality! I’ve never really heard reproduced music with such ‘pure clarity’. My mainstay amp for many years has been an Audio Research VT-100 Mk II that I keep well trimmed. The VT-100 sounds beautiful, with a full-bodied and textured sound, and although the sound is wonderfully clear, the prime attribute would not be what one would call ‘clarity’, if you know what I mean. In contrast, excellent solid state amps that I’ve listened to over the years do have clarity as their prime attribute, but with very subtle shades of coldness, dryness, or a hard-edgedness. Not so with the F5. ‘Pure clarity’ is the best phrase I can offer at the moment to describe the wonderful sound of this amp.

If you are contemplating building the F5, then DO SO! You WILL be rewarded. Much help can be gained from this thread. Overall, careful planning of the physical layout was the key for me. The 6moons Audio review photos of Nelson’s F5 boards gave me permission to consider separating the input stage from the output stage on separate boards, connected to each other via the jfet drains and the output rail. It worked!

The attached pic was taken prior to my construction of the little fans’ power supply which works fine. Anyway, I am happy to provide pics showing details if people are interested. Thanks to Nelson and the thread participants for a wonderful construction adventure!

-Steve

Attachments

• overhead wout fan board.jpg
    overhead wout fan board.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,529
best part sources for F5?

I've managed to gather Conrad heatsinks, and a set of cvillier's F5 boards (power supply, rectifier, and output).

Next steps are buying a transformer and components. Any recommendations?

Is TECH-DIY still the preferred place to get all the components in one place (I see they're warning that "due to current limited availability of 2SJ74 JFET's -- the N and P Channel devices are no longer matched").

What's a good place to get a reasonable price on a transformer for the F5? People find differences between Plitron, Antek, others?

Thanks for any help -- this will be my first DIY build project. You guys are an inspiration.