F5 amp for three way active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyway, the whole point of active crossovers is to find work for all the amplifiers we build.
:p

Hello, Mr. Pass! Nice to meet you in this thread))
But seems, I'm coming from the opposit side to the problem since I haven't build them enough yet :D

By the way I'd like to ask you if F5 can work normally at lower PSU voltage?
Say, 16V to reduce power dissipation if I don't need too much voltage for 4 Ohm drivers? Worth it in my case, how do you think?

My idea is based on the power calculation for my drives in post #26.

1) Woofer has 8 Ohm coil and needs 21W (limited by Xmax), so it needs 1.62A in class A.
So, I suppose I can stay pretty happy here with my regular F5 having 24VDC and Iq=1.2-1.3A.

2) Mid has 4 Ohm coil and needs 16W (to create same SPL as woofer), so amp has to output 2.0-2.2A at least (Iq=1.0-1.1) but voltage required is 8V only (11.3V peak) now.
If we can deal with 16-18VDC rails here for F5?
In this case dissipation will be 35-40W with 16-18VDC and Iq=1.1A.

Same is for twitter (even less power required normally).

Anton

Last edited:
As already mentioned above, there is no real argument (for me at least) for using Class A for Woofers.
For 4 ohm 16Wrms, you need 2.8A peak at ~11.2V, so at least 1.4A bias and 16V rails.
More bias and voltage headroom will reduce distortion.
But then you would not be using all 16W anyhow for listening.

The F5X has +/-16V rails and we have over 100 units in the field.
That is assuming you use 2SK1530 / 2SJ201 MOSFETs for the output.

The rest is already mentioned in post #19, and more or less repeated in post #32.
But do what you think is best for you.

Cheers,
Patrick

Dear Patrick,
You are right about peak current - my mistake...
Please, don't get me wrong, I don't want to make everything on my way despite on any advice.
I just would like to cosider all other ways to go assuming the the hardware I already have.

I like the approach described by you and in post #32 (except that I will need passive crossover to build).
I have nothing against AB class for woofer also but my F5 is almost ready.
So it would be nice to decide if I can use it correctly in the system.

If using of F5X (instead of F5) is required now I will have to rebuild F5 and build some new AB amp...
This means a new trafo for F5X as well as soon mine gives 24VDC...
I just thought to leave the existing F5 somehow - for woofer for example (as soon it is ready and fits to woofer demands).

BTW, do you think 5U chasis (200x300 mm heatsink) is OK for F5X?
I need to study the thread about it.

Anton

I see,
Patrick! Thanks for your remark.
Here is my F5 assembly (on 5U chassis).
attachment.php

Ok, I need to study F5X and passive crossover details for mid and high.

Anton

As already mentioned above, there is no real argument (for me at least) for using Class A for Woofers.

The rest is already mentioned in post #19, and more or less repeated in post #32.
But do what you think is best for you.

Cheers,
Patrick

What is an acceptable upper freq for the woofers in class AB?

600Hz is too high?

My mid-tweeter is compression driver could go down to 600Hz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.