extra low frequency

hello all,

for experimental purposes, i want to reproduce extra low freqencies from 5 to 100 hz or something really near these values.

exiters? DML?

what do you think as best ways?
Pierrick,

A DML (distributed mode loudspeaker) has no advantage in low frequency reproduction over a standard subwoofer.

Tactile exciter transducers ("bass shakers") are designed to transmit low frequency vibrations mechanically so that they can be felt, rather than heard, making little SPL (sound pressure level).

The "best" way to reproduce ELF ("extra" or "extreme"..) depends on what your experiment is designed to demonstrate, where and under what conditions it will be conducted, and it's budget.

Art

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
je suis un peu débutant dans ce domaine, l'idée est de pouvoir suivre 4 x SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 dans une pièce de 30 m²...
l'idée est de tout ressentir même si on ne peut pas l'écouter
for the budget i'm don't know exactly my sb 20 are cheap so i don't wan't to go too high

I'm a bit of a beginner in this area, the idea is to be able to follow 4 x SB Acoustics SB20FRPC30-8 in a 30 m² room...
the idea is to feel everything even if you can't listen to it for the budget i'm don't know exactly my sb 20 are cheap so i don't wan't to go too high
OK, this is a 10 Hz sub and this is its DIY variant, so going below ~ 20 Hz at any useful SPL won't be small and/or cheap unless something built in/added to a small, well constructed/sealed room using multiple inexpensive 'sub' woofers frequency shaped using DSP.

$29 JBL 12's are used for tactile response on avsforum.com.
Hence the link in post #8.

These pics are the bottom of sofas/couches.

Screenshot_20240417_181038_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thank You
The HoverEzE (HeZe) as using inner tubes and cheap car subwoofers is the most cost-effective DIY bass shaker.
The pneumatic float is key to it's efficiency and effectiveness- more "shake" per watt with very little moving mass,
exceeding the output of the weighted solenoid-type devices originally popularized by ButtKicker.
Screen Shot 2024-04-17 at 4.15.27 PM.png

This guide explains it in detail:
https://gitlab.com/HeZeGuide/HeZeGuide/-/tree/main

i have 2 12"sub abble to down 35hz, which bass shaker do you advise ?
Since the HeZe leaves the back side of the woofers as open baffles, depending on your listening level, you might use your existing 12" and be able to dispense with anything else between the HeZe and the 8" drivers.

Art

Reactions: 2 users
which bass shaker do you advise
It's worth noting that typical bass shakers have a resonance peak and roll-off, so getting very low frequencies is likely to take more of them to compensate for that - similar to trying to use a regular speaker below resonance.

This page is older, but has a couple response curves toward the bottom and resonance frequencies for multiple units.
http://www.baudline.com/erik/bass/tactile_report.html
1713396212420.png

For a non-audio project, I've been using some exciters down very low (like 0.5-10 Hz). Their power handling is much lower at very low frequencies, so if you are using them below their rated range watch out for that as well.

Last edited:
  • Thank You