Expensive drivers - are they worth the money?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I don't know Edgindin's past here or elsewhere, so I can't really comment about him personally. I don't subscribe to the "musical versus something else" system. I do wonder though, has anyone here performed low-level and low power tests (.001W-.1W) on various large high power woofers? I understand harmonic distortion should be very low, but maybe transient or other dynamic behavior changes at these low levels?

Have you ever heard a good subwoofer played on its own?All there is down there is "noise", yet when combined with some content above 80Hz, that "noise" becomes part of the music.

A low-distortion low-frequency noise generator is precisely what we're aiming at.

Chris

PS - stiff suspension doesn't automatically mean bad at low volumes.
PPS - a small sealed box will dominate the suspension stiffness every time.

yes, my own 35Hz horn sub. And there was a surprising amount of musical information - not just low frequency noise.

I don't know Edgindin's past here or elsewhere, so I can't really comment about him personally. I don't subscribe to the "musical versus something else" system. I do wonder though, has anyone here performed low-level and low power tests (.001W-.1W) on various large high power woofers? I understand harmonic distortion should be very low, but maybe transient or other dynamic behavior changes at these low levels?

Do you think my personality has something to do with what I hear? Or are you suggesting that my musical tastes affect me hearing? Alright, I like opera, chamber music, vocals, a little jazz, organ - generaly acoustical non-amplified stuff. I listen at realistic SPL, but not too loud. Now what?

Do you think my personality has something to do with what I hear? Or are you suggesting that my musical tastes affect me hearing? Alright, I like opera, chamber music, vocals, a little jazz, organ - generaly acoustical non-amplified stuff. I listen at realistic SPL, but not too loud. Now what?
Woah, Edindin, I was replying to Shredhead's post about you being in another universe with alternative phyics. I didn't say anthing bad about you- I don't know why you're directing this at me out of everyone on this page. I'm the only person who shared the same view as you, and I'm curious about tests at low power. I don't know anything about you or your past here. What I was saying was that I wasn't going to jump on the bandwagon and poke fun at you, mostly because I don't like that. See below:
shredhead said:
kouiky said:
I only wonder if Edgindin is maybe onto the right track but mistaken in the parameters where he places the blame?
"Musical subwoofer" and "low frequency noise generator" are not parameters (thank God).

He is in a parallel universe that has strange new laws of physics, away from the right track.

Last edited:
"Musical subwoofer" and "low frequency noise generator" are not parameters (thank God).

He is in a parallel universe that has strange new laws of physics, away from the right track.

I stated early enough that I was not an engineer and, true, I have very limited knowledge about laws of physics, new or old, and such. But I think I have good ears and I generally trust them. And I also regularly attend live performances. So I think I have a fairly good idea what live music sounds like.

Woah, Edindin, I was replying to Shredhead's post about you being in another universe with alternative phyics. I didn't say anthing bad about you- I don't know why you're directing this at me out of everyone on this page. I'm the only person who shared the same view as you, and I'm curious about tests at low power. I don't know anything about you or your past here. What I was saying was that I wasn't going to jump on the bandwagon and poke fun at you, mostly because I don't like that.

Look, I took your post in good humor. Really. I am sorry if you detected anything else. And perhaps our personalities do have something to do with the way we hear music. :)

This is a graph of the noise floor of my signal chain. The highest peak at 60Hz is 110dB down. If I put an SPL meter an inch off the dust cap of my sub it's no different a reading than anywhere else in the room at idle.

Sorry for being an a$$ about this, I just don't understand where you are getting the "low frequency noise" thing. Do you mean that you listen to music that has bad rumble noise in the really low end or something like that?

I understand you are not an engineer, but aren't you here to learn? Speaking in your own made up language to everybody confuses the issues. You have already been given some pretty good advice if you would listen.

Attachments

• Signal Chain Noise Floor.png
    Signal Chain Noise Floor.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 210
I don't know about you, but I'm having fun! At least I'm talking to people who think that designing and building speakers is a worthwhile undertaking and who don't ask stupid questions like, why can't you make'm small like Bose...

Hey man, you're right about that. I want you to build something that you can be proud of. I know some of the geeky jargon is tedious to deal with but you'd be surprised how fun it gets after the initial learning curve. :spin:

This is a graph of the noise floor of my signal chain. The highest peak at 60Hz is 110dB down. If I put an SPL meter an inch off the dust cap of my sub it's no different a reading than anywhere else in the room at idle.

Sorry for being an a$$ about this, I just don't understand where you are getting the "low frequency noise" thing. Do you mean that you listen to music that has bad rumble noise in the really low end or something like that?

I understand you are not an engineer, but aren't you here to learn? Speaking in your own made up language to everybody confuses the issues. You have already been given some pretty good advice if you would listen.

Yes, master, I'm here to learn - among other things. "Low frequency noise generator" = muddy, vailed bass. And then I listen to a good horn sub and I clearly hear the lowest note on that double bass that I didn't hear before. Before, there was just low frequency noise that didn't sound like the lowest string on that double bass. It was not the string - I know what that string sounds like!

I think Egindin's been listening to a "musical"/significantly resonant sub with nonlinear response for so long anything else will sound lifeless. Especially when compared to a sealed setup. This is why I recommended the Keystone, good horn sound - probably/most likely more linear response.

I think Egindin's been listening to a "musical"/significantly resonant sub with nonlinear response for so long anything else will sound lifeless. Especially when compared to a sealed setup. This is why I recommended the Keystone, good horn sound - probably/most likely more linear response.

This is what I was thinking too. 'Noise makers' just don't exist with properly designed subs of any kind and you can do this with inexpensive, but properly chosen drivers and drivers that cost a fortune.

If Egindin has been listening to a sub with a less than linear response, then in fact his sub is more of a noise maker than others are.

Driver distortion will be lower in expensive drivers and the drivers themselves will be more linear (play loud similar to low level). Folded Horns with any usable driver with a sealed driver will have much lower than even expensive radiators. Time domain response and phase response (for blending mains in) is the main measurable you have left.

I'm in the process of building a pair of subs (for below 80 Hz) for my all horn system. I'm dead set on sealed boxes and have already built a pair of 2.0 ft sq. I know it's not the smartest approach - to build boxes first and then to look for drivers...well, nobody's perfect and I like woodworking. My musical tastes are classical and jazz. Anyways, I've looked at some drivers (I'd prefer 10" over 12", but I'm open to being convinced in the error of my ways) and noticed a huge disparity in prices. You can buy a $40 driver and you can buy a $400 driver of the same size. Specifically, I've looked at Dayton Audio drivers ($120-170) and Seas W26FX001 ($400) Do I get twice the performance if I buy Seas? Those of you who truly experimented and compared (and know first hand what they're talking about) - do you get your moneys worth buy buying expensive drivers?

It's probably already been stated in this thread, but multiple subs work really, really well. Earl Geddes (username "gedlee") has a thread on this.

The number one thing I would recommend to someone with a budget of $1000 is the following:

1) Spend a fraction of the budget on a dedicated sub amp, perhaps $250
2) Spend 9% of the budget on a miniDSP ($90)
3) Spend the rest on drivers.

Basically multiple subs are so important, I'd prioritize the amp and the processing before the subs themselves! IE, if I was on a $500 budget I'd use 'cheap' drivers like MCM or Pyle before I'd be willing to skip the dedicated amp and processing. It's *that* important.

That is for the Creative Sound Solutions SDX12 Subduction (Info there, site here).

I was just using that particular driver as an example, but, to be honest, were I shopping for a current production 12" sub that particular driver would be one of the first I'd take a look at. I've not had a chance to hear them personally, but those who have them have nothing but praise from what I've seen. Triple shorting rings, 28mm one-way xmax, low inductance, a sexy set of T/S parameters... overall, it looks pretty good. That it's an XBL^2 sub leaves me no doubt that it's likely a good one as experience has made me a big fan of that motor topology. (XBL^2 allows a driver to have the sound quality advantages of being underhung while being among the highest excursion drivers out there, though at the expense of efficiency.)

There's also a 10" version, the SDX10, but I haven't run across as many projects using it.

Both drivers fall into the price range you were considering, looks like, $169 each for the 10" and $519 for a bundled pair of 12"s.

If you're interested, CSS has a manufacturer's forum here where you might be able to find more information and opinions from folks who've had ears-on experience with the drivers.

Another option to add to the list.

There's another sub that's similar to this one, called the "Diyma12".
The dude who had them built was blowing them out on eBay for under $100 for about a year.
There aren't a lot of them out there, but when they pop up they offer some of the best 'bang for the buck' in a sub I've ever seen. I have two :)

He's the same person who founded the web site "diymobileaudio.com"
(Which is now run by someone else btw.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.