• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Exciting new line of fullrange drivers from Feastrex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since there have been a few posts touching on the relative merits/demerits of Feastrex fullrange drivers versus other approaches, I thought it might be interesting to speculate on what would Feastrex's Mr. Teramoto be listening to if he did not have his own fullrange drivers. I'm not 100% sure . . . one reason he started making fullrange drivers is that he was dissatisfied with all speakers that he had heard until meeting up with the Exact brand, and even Exact didn't fully satisfy him but they got him into speaker building. Probably in the past he would have had a very hard time finding any speaker that could really make him happy, short of those of his own making. But he did relay to me one interesting piece of information . . . in the little bit of roaming around that he was able to do at the last CES, he really liked the Cessaro Horn Acoustics speakers that he was able to listen to. He told me that they were the first horn speakers he had heard that were free of the things that he characteristically dislikes about horn speakers. That was a very well-integrated sound. So I take it that he could probably be happy with Cessaro Horn Acoustics speakers (assuming he could afford them and had the space for them) if he was not making his own fullrange drivers. And I'm just guessing, but from what I have read about them I also suspect he would probably like Tom Danley's Synergy Horns if he had a chance to hear them . . .

FWIW

-- Chris

Nice find Chris, I think he had a good time!!!

I was reading the new copy of Stereophile tonight, the July edition. From the "Industry Update" section, by Paul Messenger covering the Heathrow High Fidelity Show, held March 29-30, and wrote the following:

"I'm drawn toward weird and wacky hifi because that's where breakthroughs are most likely to be made. I've always had some regard for single driver speaker systems, but had never before heard the Feastrex drive units, from Japan. They look a bit like Lowthers, but cost a lot more, and use far more exotic components. The paper in the cones was said to have been formulated with help from a papermaker who's a Japanese National Treasure, and the magnets come in a variety of odd shapes and costly materials, right up to field-coil versions. Although Select Audio was demonstrating a fairly basic Feastrex model, it seemed to have an unusually sweet top end for a driver of this type."

No pics were shown in the mag.

Cheers all!
Rich

In determining what pattern to install the Enable dots to a cone, is there a mathematical method to determine their quantity and locations - so that the formula could be applied to any size/type cone driver, or is it a discovery process whereby a number of drivers are prototyped with potential Enable dot patterns, and the most lovely sounding pattern is applied to all successive drivers of that type?

I would love to hear an EnAbled Feastrex driver, but if it were mine being treated, I would want to be assured that I wasn't the guinea pig who got the worst one because I was first. "Oops, that one didn't come out so good, let's not do it THAT way anymore..." haha... With Planet-10 involved, I assume that is not the scenario...

At RMAF I thought Mr Teramoto told me that the moving mass of D5nf was 1.2 grams, which I found mind boggling. But above quoted specs state moving mass actually around 5+grams. I was afraid to even consider applying .5g of Enable dots to a 1.2g cone, that's a big change! But dots probably weigh less than that and Mm of 5+g wouldn't have such a big effect on inertia.

I would like to hear more about Enabling Feastrex. I would consider it. I have heard only good things about it. Nice idea Phil. Are you going first?? ;)
Rich

Yes

Yes I would say that is correct...it feels right but it is more than that.
It feels easy... you can listen all the live long day and into the night.
Poorly recorded stuff is still poorly recorded but the stuff that is well recorded is very .... no words.

The DX3's pushed itself just a bit so after 3 or 4 hours I would turn them off.
Hey, they were good, really good.

I was not in the least bit sad as Richard B toted them away... after all I had a pair of 5Dnf's sucking on my 45's.

I have a very hard time converting how a system sounds into words. Its not like I don't know what is happening, (well sometimes I have no clue) I do. If the sound is "off" or sounds "funny" I will try something to fix it. Most of the time my guess as to the weak spot is right on. Then a fix is in order. It is after all cut and try, at least for me. I certainly am not a good engineer. Maybe just slightly below average E.E. So it is harder for me to understand whats going on.

So far with the 5Dnf there is little to try and fix...
Time will tell.
I have had them up and running for about 3 months.
The cabs need some work as to stuffing and I still have not put sand in the spine. It just that they sound so good, why bother.
I guess as time goes on maybe I'll feel the need to adjust, to try to make it better but not yet.

I

WT3 measurements

bcherry said:
[B But I may need to wait until we have the high-voltage filament supply as I understand 15 V is optimum so would be nice to compare a different voltages.
[/B]

bcherry said:

Nf5ex
Revc= 14.8465 ohms
Fs = 85.2455 Hz
Zmax= 234.0638 ohms
Ro = 58.9493 ohms
F0 = 74.8698 Hz
F1 = 123.4567 Hz
Fmin= 718.4830 Hz
Qms = 6.9664
Qes = 0.4718
Qts = 0.4419
Le = 0.3586 mH @1kHz
XLe = 16.6969 impedance @1kHz
PLe = 7.7562 phase @1kHz
Diam = 105.0000 mm ( 4.1339 in )
ConeArea = 8659.0145 mm^2( 13.4215 in^2)
Vas = 7.1865 L ( 0.2538 ft^3)
BL = 9.2785 N/A
Mms = 5.1079 g
Cms = 682.4293 uM/N
Kms = 1465.3534 N/M
Rms = 0.3927 R mechanical
Efficiency = 0.9096 %
Sensitivity= 95.5885 dB @1W/1m

Brian
some measurements with WT 3:
10/15/16.5 V
z: 180/205/210
LE: .581/.5595/.5549
QMS: 6.09/6.096/6.11
Q. ES: .6104/.5329/.5209
Q. TS: .5548/.4901/.48
FS (doesn't change) 80.75 Hz
regards
Brian

On the other hand, it seems like you would have a hard time getting it down to a Qts of 0.4, even at a fairly high field coil voltage.

Hmmm, so it will not be best for BLH-type cabinets. For some, that will be a benefit, for others quite the opposite.

I do wish that someone could do the same measurements for the larger drivers - along with an efficiency measures. I have seen some > 105 dB estimations for the larger drivers... though if the Hx of the smaller drivers is anything to go by, I would guess the real efficiency to be significantly lower. I hope not, because if they are > 100dB and other parameters are available I will likely spring for some, but...

Cheers

rcdaniel said:

Hmmm, so it will not be best for BLH-type cabinets.

That may indeed be the case; however, it should be kept in mind that the WT3 measurements may be somewhat limited in their usefulness as a guideline. The Qts will tend to vary depending on the strength of the input signal (going down as the input signal becomes stronger); if the WT3 is like the WT2 (the two are made by different companies) the signal used is not very strong at all. Also, some people have reported that the D5nf sounds good in BLH enclosures, and those people at least will probably not hesitate to use the NF5ex with a BLH enclosure. The WT2 gives Qts of 0.4 for the D9nf, and at least one person is absolutely thrilled with the way that sounds in BLH. In general, of course, the lower the Qts, the more obviously suitable it will tend to be for BLH . . .

-- Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.