Euro Cup 2012

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Isn't he cute?

*A satisfied customer.

Attachments

• CLOS.jpg
    CLOS.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 105
ra7, devilsindetails - this is the good football I was talking about and was missing until today. Still, better late than never. Really enjoyed the match - as good as it gets.

I am happy that your team redeemed your faith in the best of Spanish football style: control and attack! Now if only the Dutch could stop being such a bunch of spoiled, egotistical, lackluster nincompoops...I might be able to look forward to the World Cup...the FIFA ranking for the Oranje should be about 20th...which would be far more accurate!

Patriotism? You know, the love of your country?

According to two leading lexicographers (Samuel Johnson & Ambrose Bierce) Patriotism is either the first or the last refuge of the scoundrel.
But even today, 200 or so years later, it is an immensely overvalued emotion.
We have learned nothing.

Back to the footie: Congrats to Spain. As I said before: The way to crack Italy is to score first as this does not allow Italy to play the game they want play ie defend and score on counters.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
According to two leading lexicographers (Samuel Johnson & Ambrose Bierce) Patriotism is either the first or the last refuge of the scoundrel.
But even today, 200 or so years later, it is an immensely overvalued emotion.
We have learned nothing.

I can love persons and things (some ideas too) - to love a country is too much of a task for me.

For example - her cheeks were wet with tears after the game. I had to console her - it was my duty.

Attachments

• love.jpg
    love.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
As I see it I can be proud of what I may have achieved and I can be pleased to have been born in a certain country but it never made any sense to me that many people are proud to be of a certain nationality which is not an achievement but merely an accidental coincidence.

And I'd console her any day too!

As I see it I can be proud of what I may have achieved and I can be pleased to have been born in a certain country but it never made any sense to me that many people are proud to be of a certain nationality which is not an achievement but merely an accidental coincidence.

False dichotomy, misrepresentation and logical chicanery all in one sentence :) I wonder why it appeals, all the same?

Look at how Spain celebrated their achievement as a team. That makes sense of collective pride.

A nation is a collective achievement. "Many people" through history and geography have more or less reason to feel a palpable connection to their contribution to nation-building.

Nationalism can be dangerous if we don't make sense of it. The process of replacing it with an alternative sense of civic identity would be a lot less troublesome if we understood it.

Alienation doesn't help. I think it's unfortunate that I don't feel national pride even when England plays well. Perhaps if I could play a part in redirecting national youth training, I'd feel better next time.

Olympics excite me less here than they did in China. Trying to figure out why.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
ra7, devilsindetails - this is the good football I was talking about and was missing until today. Still, better late than never. Really enjoyed the match - as good as it gets.

Right... They have it in them... even against Portugal, in extra time they cracked them open so many times. It must be hard to keep up the extremely high level game after game.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.