esp proj 19 lives! 8 channels!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wanted to let everyone know I just got an ESP 8 channel! project 19 amp up and running. All channels are fxnal though I have not fully given all of them a workout yet. Soon...ah yes...soon. Though its kind tough to work out 8 channels! (I really don't know why I built an amp with 8 channels...I figured ...ah...heck...why not!) Sounds good...I'll try to post real listening impressions soon when I have more time. (oh, and pics too )

-Matthew K. Olson

ps...plenty of power!

pics

here's one pic

Attachments

• pic 1 amp 8 top view.jpg
    pic 1 amp 8 top view.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,311
The specs are...800 va avel lindberg torroidal...35a bridge rectifier...and 35,000uF capacitance...bypassed.

No I didn't make the pcb's myself...they are from ESP

sound.westhost.com

Really high quality...definitely recommend Elliot...he's awesome. The amp worked right from the getgo. Amazing!!! all 8 channels ...kick tail!!

-Matthew K. Olson

ok...more details...but only a few :)

Rail voltage is under 35v...the transformer is 25-0-25 ....so realistically I'm looking at 33 volts or so. The caps are mostly Sprague powerlytics...from surplus stuff that I had to form slowly on a variac. They work quite nicely actually. Hmm...what else. Silver solder throughout...etc. etc. blah blah. :) Laters!

-Matthew K. Olson

Even more channels?

Looks great! I want to do something similar, but even more so (if that makes sense). I need an amplifier to drive 10 stereo pairs of speakers located in different rooms (20 speakers total). I was planning to build up 20 of those amps, and run them all from one big power supply (probably a 1KVA toroid with the appropriate rectification and smoothing).

(I have pretty heavy-gauge speaker wire in the walls, and the runs are short, so I'm not too worried about resistive losses in the cables.)

I figured I’d drive the whole lot from my existing stereo through a simple distribution amplifier with 10 output op-amps. Any thoughts on that, now that you’ve built your 8-channel? How hot does it run with 8 channels, and what heatsinks did you use? How DO you drive all those inputs?

Anybody else have any experience with handling this many channels simultaneously?

well...hm...I'd use a 2kva transformer...if you want all those channels driven...or 2 x 1kva transformers. All of my inputs are independent...and intended for use w/ home theater. My yamaha receiver has pre outs for all the channels (5.1) which is really nice. Good stuff anyway. I used some heatsinks that steve@apexjr has (6.95 or so per)
www.apexjr.com I think they are TO-3 heatsinks that a friend cut in half. Each half is used for one proj. 19 board (2 channels - 2 chips...one chip per channel) I think they are quite adequate actually.

I guess a distrabution amp would work nicely...though I havent' explored that idea myself. Have fun w/ that!

-Matthew K. Olson

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
BC108,

I need an amplifier to drive 10 stereo pairs of speakers located in different rooms (20 speakers total). I was planning to build up 20 of those amps, and run them all from one big power supply (probably a 1KVA toroid with the appropriate rectification and smoothing).

The thought of over complexification and redundancy comes to mind.

Surely, (apart from the challenge, which I appreciate is a valid goal in itself :) ), you would be better making two or three separate amps, so if one goes down, you don't lose the whole system.

You could still build them into the same case, but I feel they would perform better with two or three trannies, seperately fused and regulated. The inrush current on a 1kva trannie is also huge, so you would need some kind of soft start, or very high capacity switches.

Why build 10 or 20 of the same thing? Sheeeeit, ah'd build a swak of differnt kahnds. Mayhaps a ESP3A, a chip amp er two, an old JLH Class A, mebbe a Zen or Aleph, 'n' somethin' with those little glass thingies that glow and make wimmin fall all over a fella. Yup, that's what ah'd do.
See y'all later.:fight:

Pinkmouse

You're probably right about redundancy. I'll do a couple of separate PSUs. But I'm serious about using the same amp design 10 times over (20 for stereo). I'll make up a couple of spares, in case something awful happens. I'll probably use Rod Elliott's PCB (P19) since I've only heard good stuff about it here.

Cheers, BC :drink:

Also, some listening impressions of the amp. If I REALLY push it it can get ugly....but I really don't need to push it too much to get it PLENTY loud. It really is an impressive 50+ watts. :-D The sound is much better, more accurate, less sloppy than my yamaha receiver (which claims 100 watts continuous). Very clear and accurate. :-D

Onto a p3a soon! hmm...how many channels for this one?

-Matthew K. Olson

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.