ES9038Q2M Board

Like I said already the graphs are not comparable as the capacitor values are not the same.

In which case you have no basis for any claim of similarity based on those graphs.

Of course I have no 'proof' as science isn't concerned with proof, that's the domain of mathematics. But seeing as those graphs ostensibly show the LT1083's load transient response is of the order of 20dB better than LT317 I'd say @Markw4 has some objective basis for his claim it sounds better in that particular application.

Also your claim of "order of 20dB better" has no basis as the graphs are not comparable due to mismatching capacitors. Why do you think there would be 20dB difference with similar load regulation spec?

Edit: besides Markw4's claim included modern LDOs many of which have far better load transient responses than LT1083.

Also your claim of "order of 20dB better" has no basis as the graphs are not comparable due to mismatching capacitors.

It seems reasonable to me that LT would wish to paint their parts in the best possible light in their DSs. So to me its a fair comparison to contrast the dotted lines in both instances.

Why do you think there would be 20dB difference with similar load regulation spec?

Because that's what the graphs are showing. The load regulation spec omits details (what's the frequency?) so I'm going in favour of the graph with the more relevant details.

Another relevant observation here is the load regulation spec is at constant die temperature. But that's not a real-world situation - the LT1083 has better thermal conductivity die to case (which is shown in the DS).
Edit: besides Markw4's claim included modern LDOs many of which have far better load transient responses than LT1083.

Go ahead and show those in comparable contexts then.

@lasercut - that might indeed have something to do with it. So for LT317 to be similar to LT1083 in transient behaviour we'd need to see how it does with 10uF output cap - does anyone have that data?

Last edited:
Go ahead and show those in comparable contexts then.
What context might that be? Markw4's comment did not specify any.

Edit: here is one modern LDO.

Attachments

• load transient.PNG
    load transient.PNG
    6.6 KB · Views: 65
As I said earlier LT1083 (and LT317) have limited bandwidth. This discussion is about DACs. How well do you think LT1083 (or LT317) will cope with load transients or noise in DAC chips? The examples I showed (with maybe exception to the third) have wider bandwidth so I trust that their load transient responses are better with DACs.

DACs rarely need much current so your arguments are moot.

I accept that my point concerning the thermal resistance of a regulator isn't particularly relevant in a DAC application. But here you're saying arguments, plural. So which other point(s) of mine do you consider moot?

Do you consider a reg's transient performance irrelevant for the simple fact that 'DACs rarely need much current' ? If so I'd be interested in your reasoning.

How well do you think LT1083 (or LT317) will cope with load transients or noise in DAC chips?

Its clear that the cap on the reg output is handling the high-speed stuff. Load transients would be characterized by current slew rates would they not? The LT1083 is characterized with a 7.5A swing in under 5uS. That corresponds to 7.5mA in under 5nS - I'd hazard that's in the same ballpark as a demanding DAC chip. What current slew rates have you found on your favoured modern LDOs?

The examples I showed (with maybe exception to the third) have wider bandwidth so I trust that their load transient responses are better with DACs.

You're free to trust them as you wish. But your arguments seem to me to be very hand-wavy rather than rooted in the physics. With 500mS/div on the first one I can't see how that's particularly 'wide bandwidth'.