EQ1616D Phono Amp

115/230V EQ1616D were sold out. The next production (Nagoya Japan) will be in April 2021.
If you want to reserve a unit of EQ1616D, please let me know.
Thank you for your support!!

New Price $875.00
We will offer pre-orders for EQ1616D
If you place the pre-order between February - March 15 2021, I will offer the old price of $825.
25% down payment is required to reserve your order. If you want to cancel the order before the shipment in late April, there is no refund of the Paypal fee charged by Paypal.

Thank you for your Support

Last edited:
2020- MJ Magazine (Radio and Experiment)(無線と実験)

SV-EQ1616D won the top prize in the analog equipment category of 2020 MJ magazine (無線と実験) (Radio and Experiment)
Technical of the Year 2020.
Radio and experiment

Also ... EQ1616D is Stereophile CLASS A Recommended Components (April 2021)

Last edited:
What a sound!

Just finished my build of the EQ1616D Phono Amp. It's hard to put into words the instant improvement in sound quality, not to mention the satisfaction of a job well done. This project was a ton of fun and a great learning experience. I was extremely happy to have it work as of the first power up (really wasn't expecting that as this is my first attempt at such an advanced kit). It was (and wasn't) a lot more difficult than initially anticipated, but i'm really glad to have challenged myself and come through it successfully.

For those of you considering this kit and questioning you abilities, my advice would be to go for it. I bought a few cheap solder projects on amazon and taught myself to solder before taking on this project. I also watched several YT videos on schematics and amp builds in general, which really helped as well.

I think the most difficult part was soldering multiple caps, resistors and wires to the same terminal point and also ensuring that no wires or leads were touching others in such a small space. Several other posts in this thread have mentioned taking your time, and I can only second that advice. I put in an hour or so on random nights and weekends over the course of a month or so and had the thing finished. Watch out during the later stages when soldering all the caps and resistors, as those terminal points can start to tear your fingers up working in such a small place. One tip I found super handy was to use blue tack putty to hold one end of the cap or resistor in place while soldering the other end. Wish I had discovered that a little sooner.

The only *mistake* that I made was trying to solder the resistors and the caps at the same time, instead of getting all the resistors in place first, then following with the caps.

Thanks to google translate with the camera feature on my phone I was able to decode some of the still Japanese text in the otherwise english manual. Even without reading all of the text though, the pictures are extremely clear and easy to follow step by step.

One recommendation would be to update the manual to be in line with the updates that have been made. I ended up building the original version (only change was to upgraded Vcap ODAM 2.2uF [2 pieces] x 1), per Victor's recommendation.

I'm running the Gold Lion Gold Lion (ECC83/B759 X 2 + Brimar ECC82 X 1) + PSAVNE WE 274B. Background is very black and transparent and the mids and highs have added sparkle, definition, and clarity. The soundstage and separation of instruments also opened up significantly.

Communication with Victor was easy and attentive. I can also say as many others here that shipping was fast.

Overall extremely happy, the only downside is now the build is over and I need a new project!

I have close to 300 hours on the EQ1616D and can say that I have not come across any shortcomings. As you know, you can change the sound to suit your vinyl and the warmth of tubes but the biggest pros to me is that it gets out of the way. I have GL ECC83 and Hammond/Mullard 12AU7 with Sovtek 5AR4. Going to swap out 5AR4 for Valve Art 274B to see if any sonic improvements. Can’t say I have heard Odam caps break in if they do.

Last edited:
I have a very revealing system. Almost 2 hours with the VA 274B and I can hear improvements in imaging and detail. I have heard big differences when swapping rectifiers but it depends on circuit - there have been some with no effect.

Victor, have you heard VA 274b in this circuit? Curious as to how much better Psvane is, I know it’s all subjective :)

On another note Victor do you recommend forcing house 120V to this phono preamp and 8600? My incoming voltage is at 125v which is way too hot for tubes from what I have read, so I have a variac set at 120v feeding a true sine wave UPS which feeds power strip with digital display (diy) so I know all my gear is getting 120v or what ever I set it at the variac.

Last edited:
Valve Arts isn't a tube manufacturer. They buy tubes from the usual suspects and put their brand name on them. I believe they all come from Shuguang. They are good budget tube..
Both Psavne 274B or ACME 274B. are superior than Shuguang. It is not subjective. I heard Linlai, Psavne, ELROG, ACME.. not VA274B..

It is better within the range 115~120V