Enclosure measurements for Fane 121/11

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ahoy,

I have a couple of Fane 121/11 speakers mounted with a couple of tweeters, and wondered if someone could help me with the measurements for a reasonably sized box for them.

I can find no data on them like various frequencies that would allow me to use some of the online tools that are available, and as I have no experience in this area hoped someone could give me some rules of thumb.

Fane have been too busy to get back to me, but I will try to call them again next week.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you. I had a look on that website, but couldn't come across the same model. Perhaps it will reward a deeper search.

Here are a couple of pictures of all the data I have on the Fane speakers, which is limited to the label on the back!

Attachments

• R1049013.JPG
    R1049013.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 98
  • R1049012.JPG
    R1049012.JPG
    354 KB · Views: 90
Interesting. What do you want to use them for?

FWIW, for home HiFi, it might be better to sell them on to a guitarist or vintage PA enthusiast and use the money on some different drivers.
If you're attached to these drivers, I'd start out with an open backed design, but add batons so you can add a back plate later on. These drivers were made mid-1972, so any specifications Fane had will be almost guaranteed to be different to the drivers in front of you. 44 years will do a lot to a set of speakers.

So, in the presumed absence of any measurement equipment, I'd set off with the assumption that they might be high-Q drivers, and see how they do in a dipole system. If there's little-to-no low end, you can put the back on (maybe with a bass reflex port) and see how that goes. Some playing around with the cabinet will be needed if you can't measure the drivers.

Chris

Thank you. I had a look on that website, but couldn't come across the same model. Perhaps it will reward a deeper search.

Here are a couple of pictures of all the data I have on the Fane speakers, which is limited to the label on the back!

About 8 years before my time with Fanes.
I bought some 50 watt 12 inch fanes in about 1980 and they had a similar look to them. They went up to about 4KHz.

Hi,

Seriously move them on as vintage drivers for valve guitar amplifiers.
A pair for a 2x12 will go for far more than each driver individually.

I could offer suggestions, but they are all relatively bad for home hifi.

The tweeters FWIW could be useful, but are pretty much worthless.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments. So it seems Fanes are mostly known for guitar cabs? I didn't think they had tweeters in, unless these are from some old hi-fi (or mid-fi, sreten!).

I managed to get hold of Fane today, and have sent them the photographs. They will see what they can dig up.

The only reason I'm interested in them is that my brother has asked me for help with making an amplifier, and found these drivers in a skip. Since they were free, we thought they'd be worth trying for the effort of cutting up some plywood for cabinets!

When you say "serious magnets" do you mean they need a lot to drive them?

I assume they were meant for something other than a guitar amp originally, as I thought guitar amps didn't have the tweeters in.

All I'm wondering is that since we have them, and plywood, we could make some cabinets for free and fun. Perhaps they could be turned into a guitar amp later - I have had a hankering to make one at some point!

Hi,

No. I mean the magnets are huge compared to hifi drivers.
Which points to musical use, however the low power handling
means only retro valve stuff would be really suitable for them.

Face it, they are old, not remotely hifi, you have no idea of
the drivers parameters, for designing a box, pretty useless
for any modern hifi speaker. I have no idea what they doing
on a baffle with a simple capacitor coupled basic tweeter.

Move them on, like I said they are worth far more to the
retro british guitar valve amplifier community than you,
and a pair is worth more than double a single unit.

These things can go for silly money on e-pray if you
know how to sell them, they are real vintage drivers.
No idea how rare they are, but a great selling point.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.