Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143

Hi all,

very recently (http://www.hobby-hifi.de/hh183_inhalt.pdf), the German magazine Hobby Hifi published a 20L floor-standing bass reflex design for the Tang Band W5-2143, with no less than three series correction networks to flatten the frequency response.

I have the issue at home, please let me know if you need any details!

Best regards,
Dirk
Can you give me the drawings?

Hi, I'm in the same situation trying to decide on a full range speaker design for the w5 2143´s and was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the TB suggested designs they list on their website, namely the SUG1-03. They list the similar spec W5-1880 driver as recommended.
Here's a link to the page with a downloadable pdf plan: SUG1-03 - 5” Full Range Back Horn Design, Floor-Standing Enclosure Suggestion - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD.
It looks pretty complex and while I suppose they have thought it through I am wondering if a simpler sound path doesn't make more sense sound and build wise.
If anyone has experience building any of TB speaker designs or have an opinion on this specific one I need your help! This is my first full range speaker project and feel a bit lost with all the different possibilities...

The Decware looks really cool with the combination of round internal port and horn (somewhat like the one from the japanese website) but I am wondering if the back facing horn opening doesn't make the speakers less versatile in terms of room integration? I imagine that you would need a fair amount of space between the speaker and back wall so as to not get too much interference in such a design?

Going that route I would probably try to replicate The DECWARE DNA Horn. I think it would be a pretty good fit for the W5-2143. There are plans here on the forum, some in this thread I think...

The DNA is so much harder to build than the TABAQs. Plus, I do indeed like the fact that the vent is in front (most of the time).

But, I also know the DNAs are good design.

It will all depend on the OPs expected build level.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
750221d1555471376-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-bandpass-xki-w5-2143-p08-jpg

The XKi for W5-2143 works very nicely. Compact box with nice deep punchy bass and great wide dispersion. Dimensions here (post 723):
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Build instructions here - important to follow padding instructions:
XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Try the DNA. There are reverse engineered plans here:
Decware DNA Horn

Go to post 52 for the hand sketched plans that seem to have been removed from the first page. I have not been there for a while but looks like someone went through it to remove a bunch of stuff that was too close to to the real thing (all derived from website images of the horn).

I have not tried it with W5-2143 but am told it works well with it. The Ts parameters seem right.

Last edited:
thanks again, I read all the Decware DNA Horn that is very interesting, still cannot do it for space reason also both speaker they will be away from wall and corner, I saw you are really an expert on this matter so here what are my needs, I need a stand floor enclosure max wide 20-24 cm., hight 85-90 cm., will be drive by a tube amplifier SE triode with max 8 watts, I am also interested on use some Markaudio driver but the sensibility is to low 85 dB, the ideal is this TB with around 90 dB sensibility.
Now can you also explain why the proposed enclosure for the W5-1880 SUG1-03 does not fit with the W5-2143? Is really impossible made some adjustment on that enclosure? Even a good bass reflex will be fine....all the best

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 12.21.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 12.21.41 PM.png
    154.6 KB · Views: 2,394
Last edited: