Enclosure for Tang Band w5-2143

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
thanks again, I read all the Decware DNA Horn that is very interesting, still cannot do it for space reason also both speaker they will be away from wall and corner, I saw you are really an expert on this matter so here what are my needs, I need a stand floor enclosure max wide 20-24 cm., hight 85-90 cm., will be drive by a tube amplifier SE triode with max 8 watts, I am also interested on use some Markaudio driver but the sensibility is to low 85 dB, the ideal is this TB with around 90 dB sensibility.
Now can you also explain why the proposed enclosure for the W5-1880 SUG1-03 does not fit with the W5-2143? Is really impossible made some adjustment on that enclosure? Even a good bass reflex will be fine....all the best

765336d1561696949-enclosure-tang-band-w5-2143-a-screen-shot-2019-06-28-12-21-41-pm-png

I just looked at the TS parameters for the W5-1880. It is quite similar to the W5-2143. The Vas on the 2143 is a bit smaller but Qts is similar enough. I think you could put the 2143 in this enclosure and adjust the sound to taste via density of stuffing on the rear chamber. The Vas is 27% smaller on the 2143. To first order, make the height of the inner chamber 255mm tall (add a wall and fill space underneath or seal wall air tight). Leave all other dimensions the same. This helps to reduce the volume of the compression chamber behind the cone to load the suspension correctly. It will reduce the overall box volume that the driver “feels”. It would work as is but I am not sure how good the original design is. The only way to know is to try it. I would try it in XPS foam as pathfinder first before committing that much work to a plywood build.

Last edited:
I installed my W5-2143 in folded Tabaqs but was unimpressed. So far I have tried the W5-2143 in folded Tabaqs, the XKi and a ported design by Kaffiman. The Kaffiman design still sounds best to me followed by the XKi. The Kaffiman design just sounds more balanced. The W5-2143 to me seems to be somewhat bass shy which the ported design mostly alleviates (its not one note bass though) but apart from the general bass response is a really very good sounding speaker. A horn design should solve the bass issue at least.

The Tabaq with the Peerless 830987 which was my first tabaq build is awesome however :worship:

Andrew

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I installed my W5-2143 in folded Tabaqs but was unimpressed. So far I have tried the W5-2143 in folded Tabaqs, the XKi and a ported design by Kaffiman. The Kaffiman design still sounds best to me followed by the XKi. The Kaffiman design just sounds more balanced. The W5-2143 to me seems to be somewhat bass shy which the ported design mostly alleviates (its not one note bass though) but apart from the general bass response is a really very good sounding speaker. A horn design should solve the bass issue at least.

The Tabaq with the Peerless 830987 which was my first tabaq build is awesome however :worship:

Andrew

Hi Andrewbee,
Have you tried a BSC on your XKi? I was finishing mine up yesterday with stain and had to pull the drivers to discover I installed a 1mH air core and 4.7ohm resistor as BSC. It has lots of bass and is balanced. I can’t compare to Kaffiman’s build though.

XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

872132d1598836118-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-bandpass-0ae1216b-cdc0-4911-806b-00fe0d5482e5-jpeg

It needs to have melamine padding sponges on the front chamber as well as rear chamber and some stuffing. Also, line the inside of the front aperture with paper faced foam core and the felt on top of that.

Greetings X,
Have you tried a BSC on your XKi?

Yes, 1mH //4R and stuffing. No Melamine pads or foam on the aperture though. Built with 12 mm Ply and the stuffing. It has bass but not as much as I would have thought, I was thinking the design would produce some bass gain. Maybe an air leak?
I may well try again. It may well be a ID10T error on my part:)

The W5-2143 remains in the "Kaffiman" box.

Now playing with a folded Tabaq again but this time with a Visaton B100.

All the best.

Enclosure options for TB W5-2143

Hi All

Having seen the specs, I have ordered a pair of Tang Band W5-2143 drivers and have been looking around for potential enclosures to model/try. In my search, I came across this site has some designs:

DIY - Loudspeaker | Low-end Speaker Craft

Has anyone built any of the attached or similar for the W5-2143? Pleased to have any plans/thoughts from builds for this attractive (at least on paper) driver.

Regards

Ashley

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Those are double staggered back loaded horns. If they were modeled on computer, they can work quite well I would imagine. I modeled a 5 length staggered one once but never built it - complexity scared me off! :) I am not sure how these were designed but they sure seem complex. That’s a lot of wood to cut. It might be interesting to try out a path finder in foam core first. Easy to cut and assemble with hot melt glue and a utility knife.

The Cornu is actually a staggered BLH - it’s just flat and wall mounted. It sounds quite nice and I would imagine a W5-2143 would be quite large. I had considered one for a coffee table once.

659602d1517318489-building-cornu-spiral-horn-cornucoffe-w5-2143-xrk971-jpg

the idea was much nicer looking than that - imagine a radio cabinet something like the 1917 phonograph below. In the center door area or above, a cast bezel tuning dial.

There was a speaker mounted under the top panel facing straight up. It fired into what would assume perhaps a lighted 10 inch glass globe which was suspended by "deco-ish" metal arms spaced evenly around the globe. I think there were multiple amplifiers in that patent - - probably never find it again. early 1930's, There was a lot of cool stuff going on then.

think I posted pic- maybe links long ago

1917-victor-victrola-phonograph-in-mahogany-cabinet-americanlisted_31587881.jpg

Hello,
another noob here :)
For more than 10 years I've been listening on a pair of DIY TL made following this project
image002.jpg

In the TL we have a Visaton W130S 8Ohm and the closed box has 2 x FRS8 4ohm connected in series.
My kids bended the paper cones of all 6 drivers and I'm thinking renewing the speakers.

Would it be terrible idea to put a W5-2143 in the place of W130S and exclude the FRS8 and the crossover from the system?