EnABL - Listening impressions & techniques

dlr said:

No, I don't make unsupportable claims based on ignorance of the physics and on their location and the wavelengths in question. Based on the physics, thin bumps on a wall cannot make any change other than in the mind. But once again, it is incumbent on those making a claim to provide proof of the positive. No one, not one of the many in this thread, have ever provided anything other than speculation, though I suspect that some have measurement ability. The other forgotten principle is that it is impossible to prove a negative, thus it is up to someone to prove a positive.

Bud understands this, I'm sure. But I expect that he'll remain silent on that since it undermines the false arguments and personal attacks made by those such as this one.

Dave
I have posted a series of tests even before the split of the original thread. You just choose a different interpretation instead of trying on your own. But please, let's get this argument to the technical thread.

Soongsc,

Are your submissions for patent in such a state that you can provide the rest of your test data? What you have provided has been of exceptional interest to me and the last CSD plot, showing a Jordan (i suppose) driver with decay characteristics superior to those of bare metal ribbon drivers has interested me deeply since you revealed it.

Bud

Hi guys, good to see loads more useful posts here :bawling:

Back on topic:

I painted the basic EnABL pattern (just the outer ring next to the surround) onto some white plastic, 6.5" Mission mid-woofers. The speakers are somewhat cobbled together from old Leak cabinets and spare Mission drivers, in a sort of 2.5 way configuration.

These are the work/test speakers of a friend. I told him about EnABL and he chuckled but wanted to hear what it might do. I did both drivers on just one speaker then played some music. As expected it did sound wrong and odd, almost like the speakers were out of phase relative to each other. The EnABLed drivers did already seem clearer, however!

I did the other speaker to match and we played some music. The most obvious immediate change was in a reduction of glare and hardness that these speakers previously suffered from. Dire Straits Brothers in Arms on XRCD is a not-so-good reworking for audiophile consumption, and it does have an exaggerated upper-mid / lower-treble region. With the drivers EnABLed this effect was merely audible and no longer pain-inducing. The speakers also appear to sound generally calmer with less haze. The dynamic range appears greater.

A definite success story as far as we're both concerned. I may add some gloss and further patterns when I next visit!

Simon

To back up Simons claims I can confirm that after adding some of this EnABL trickery to a pair of works test speakers there is a marked improvement in the upper mids. Where some vocals peaked they now keep much more composed and in focus.

I was not sure this would work when he told me about it but thought why the hell not and let him loose on them, glad I did now!

Brent

Simon & Brent,

Great to hear your listening impressions. Keep them coming.

This is what this thread is all about - applying EnABL and sharing your results!

By the way, your description of listening with one speaker treated and the other untreated is right on.
It really is a strange listening experience but now you know what to listen for.
As you get more creative with your applications of EnABL (baffles, ports, inside cabinets), use the same approach.
Treat one speaker, listen to them in stereo to hear the changes, then treat the other side and listen to them in stereo.

This is the approach I have used since the beginning as a good way of determining the level of audible change each further application of EnABL brings.

You should try EnABLing the ports using duct tape.
It will improve the low end performance and clean up the mid range.
I still enjoy the look of disbelief on friends faces when I pull out a strip of tape with EnABL on it and stick it into their ports.

Then you can go all out and try this.

Happy listening!

Cheers,

Alex

BudP said:
Soongsc,

Are your submissions for patent in such a state that you can provide the rest of your test data? What you have provided has been of exceptional interest to me and the last CSD plot, showing a Jordan (i suppose) driver with decay characteristics superior to those of bare metal ribbon drivers has interested me deeply since you revealed it.

Bud
Most ribbon drivers are difficult to damp without creating adverse effect on the bandwidth. I have not applied for patents for any of the configurations posted. Neither have I spent effort in further work on the JX92S, but may slip it into the working agenda if there is a project that requires it. I'm not sure whether which set of last CSD you are referring to. The toothpaste application? Or the other one with different lengthed pattern?

hi Alex in Oz

do you feel you would be able (or enabled heh heh) to give an effective demo of the results to someone (ie me)???

You may not be in a position to if, for example, you do not have one driver enabled and another stock.

In any case, after a bit of thought how would you go about giving that demo?? taking into account any relevant factors that may exist.

I ask cause in the next few weeks I may have to help my daughter get down to the snow, and a bit of R&R on the way back could be fun for both of us.

MisterTwister said:
I don't hear any difference after applying Enabl.
I've done it multiple times, no effect, same sound as before.
here is a great review:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59575.0
do you people really honestly hear an obvious difference in sound after Enabl-ing?
They don't let you view the discussion without signing up? Is that a cult or something?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
soongsc said:
They don't let you view the discussion without signing up? Is that a cult or something?

George,

Audio Circle is currently under going ISP woes. What is currently up is a temporary shoe-string version of the forum. TO keep load on the servers members only until they get the full site back up (hopefully within the week).

The thread is Danny Ritchie's measures & tests on a set of his drivers that Bud did.

Personally i wouldn't be surprised if it was measure 1st, then hear what was measured... i've seen that often enuff.

dave

into the fray

Mister Twister,

I think some of the EnABL magic may occur above the 2.5kHz limit as imposed by Danny Ritchie in his testing of woofers. Please listen to a fullrange , tweeter or mid-bass capable of some higher frequencies.

I am in no position to dispute what Danny Ritchie measured or heard, I can only guess why he may not have heard a difference. And I am being careful not to say improvement for a reason. You need to experience this for yourself before you consider it an improvement or just a change.

I've been listening to EnABLed FE127 Fostex drivers run fullrange for the better part of 8 months. I had also spent nearly 4 months with a set of non-EnABLed FE127s.
From my experience , there is a change (like I said you need to determine if you consider it an improvement or not).

I am not saying that EnABL provides an improvement to all drivers it is applied to, but it seems to improve most.

As I stated above,my experience with EnABL is limited to Fostex FE127 drivers (as provided by planet10).

MisterTwister,

Danny and I had a good long discussion before he tested the drivers and after. He really did not hear any difference. Note please, no difference, even though adding mass to a driver should have provided both a measurable and most likely an audible difference. I did point out in my posting of treatment patterns that these were amongst the best drivers I had ever encountered.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1730864#post1730864

Their performance was already to the point that I would have been satisfied with them had I been intent on just their intended range of use.

I did look beyond that point and treatment of the drivers allowed the above 2.5 kHz signal to be the equal of the original driver, rather than something that had to be rolled off and covered up by another driver. I felt that, with a suitable super tweeter, just slanting in on a small capacitor, they would be as good a speaker system as you could have. The changes at lower frequency levels were slight, added depth of detail and wider imaging range being the two I clearly recall.

I do not consider the work I did to be a failure, I think Danny's speakers are sensationaly good, I just opened out their operating frequency range.

Since I am much more interested in failures than success's, would it be possible for you to post an on axis picture of the treated driver that disappointed you the most? Rest assured, I am certain you have not found a difference between treated and untreated drivers, I would just like to see the offending device please.

Bud

G'day MisterTwister,

Thankyou for your post.
Your listening experience is as valid and welcome as any others posted in this thread.
It’s likely that others have been unable to hear a difference but have been too embarrassed to say it here.

Are you open to sharing some details of your application to see if there is anything that may explain your experience?

Cheers,

Alex

Edit - Just saw Bud's post.

G'day Simon,

Time to EnABL the baffles of your open baffles!

Use the EnABL block size calculator and plug in 4 x baffle width as the perimeter to get the block size.
Use duct tape for the blocks.
Norton 'All Weather Tape' is clear and is very effective also.

As always, one side first, listen, then the other side.

Keep it coming!

Cheers,

Alex