Eminence 15 LFC 4 ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone got any suggestions for what enclosure would work best with this driver?

Im looking for something to maximize the SPL as im intending to use them outdoors for small parties (40 - 60 people), sound quality isn't really an issue but of course i don't want it too sound too bad :)

Thanks in advance

Mikkel

Google Translate

Eminence DELTA 15 LF C - 4 Ohm

Eminence LF-Modelle bieten im Bassbereich dank eines höheren Schwingspulenüberhangs / Auslenkung

(Xmas) mehr als die Standardmodelle und sind damit "echte" Tieftöner für alle 3-Wege-Systeme

Daten

Korbdurchmesser: 15“, 381 mm
Impedanz: 4 Ohm
Leistung (Dauer/Music) 500 W / 1000 W
Resonanzfrequenz: 38.7 Hz
Frequenzbereich: 42 Hz - 3200 Hz
Empfindlichkeit: 96 dB
Magnet Gewicht: 56 oz
Schwingspulendurchmesser: 2,5“ , 63,5 mm

Thiele & Small Parameter

DC Widerstand (Re): 3.27 Ohm
Schwingspulen-Induktion: 1.09 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms): 7.74
Electromagnetic Q (Qes): 0.50
Gesamt-Güte (Qts): 0.47
Äquivalentes Luftnachgiebigkeitsvolumen (Vas): 221.6 L
Peak Diaphragm Displiance Volume: 411 cc
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms): 0.215 mm/N
BL Product (BL): 11.22 T-M
Diaphragm Mass inc. Airload (Mms): 78.6 grams
Efficient Bandwidth Product (EBP): 77.9
Maximaler Hub (Xmax): 4.8 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd): 856.3 cm²
max. mechanische Auslenkung (Xlim): 16.5 mm

Einbau Information

empfohlenes Gehäuse Volumen
geschlossen 36.8 - 42.5 L
offen 85 - 167 L
Ges. Durchmesser: 384.8 mm
Einbauöffnung: 349.6 mm
Durchmesser Befestigungslöcher: 6.4 mm
Durchmesser Befestigungslochkreis: 369.9 mm
Tiefe: 160 mm
Netto Gewicht: 5.8 kg
Versandgewicht: 6.7 kg

Hi Mikkel,
Do you know how to use a simulator software? In this case your best bet is the Wayne Parham software. Is better than the conventional, e.g., WinISD for the purpose you mentioned.
I will give a look with conventional (software) first, as I go along I will check your special usage to see how the difference(s) will check with your special alignment.

Thanks BP1Fanatic.

Regards,

No problem guy!

Here's a 250 liter TQWP (Tapped Quarter Wave Pipe). 7 boards & 3 braces.

Attachments

• TQWP.jpg
    TQWP.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 183
Thanks for the responses guys!

BP1Fanatic - those boxes look fantastic but may be slightly too big to lug around for outdoor gigs (i've got 2 drivers so will most likely have 2 boxs or 2 in one if possible), although considering the SPL on the TQWP @ 40hz im extremely tempted! May i ask, are those measurements in inch's? Also the program that your using is it possible to get to try myself? It looks extremely interesting!

Inductor - Unfortunately im not familiar with simulation software as im very new to this audio game but im eager to learn. The software you speak of, is it possible to download it off the internet?

'Tapped horn for dummies' and Hornresp (Martin J. King) Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/148656-enclosure-tb-wt-644f-z-5500-10-a.html
I don't have the experience with TH's or TL's.
A good paper here from Tom Danley.
Tapped Horn Experiments
You can compare and have fun online with this easy simulator for Tapered Quarter-Wave here.
The conventional WinISD for bassreflex here (or online here) and for a PA (BR not horns) that I mentioned in my previous post I would go with Pialign Analysis Software from PiSpeakers. Have fun. :)

Another driver that models very similar in the low frequency to that one is (cast-alu) Eminence Basslite C2515 Neo.
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_C2515.pdf
Eminence Basslite C2515 Neo 15" Bass Guitar Speaker 290-514

BP1Fanatic - those boxes look fantastic but may be slightly too big to lug around for outdoor gigs (i've got 2 drivers so will most likely have 2 boxs or 2 in one if possible), although considering the SPL...
To consider also a Bandpass what might have a more interesting (smaller) footprint and is more complex to build, as is the Tapped Horn.
LinearTeam
Bandpass Boxes
I guess the horns type or TQWP (Tapped Quarter Wave Pipe) subwoofs would prevail in a open PA environment with more "bang for the buck" and the bandpasses more compacts. :)

Attachments

• 6th-order bandpass - 3d-sketchup.gif
    6th-order bandpass - 3d-sketchup.gif
    65.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Bandpass edit:
Not in this case with Va = 286.40 L + Vb = 124.90 L (411 L) vs. the compact TQWP 250 L vol. from post #6.
That's for the 6th order bandpass.
A 4th order bandpass would be smaller but doesn't go so low to -3 dB 45 - 112 Hz (VC = 94.00 L + VAC = 66.00 L).

Last edited:

BP1Fanatic - those boxes look fantastic but may be slightly too big to lug around for outdoor gigs (i've got 2 drivers so will most likely have 2 boxs or 2 in one if possible), although considering the SPL on the TQWP @ 40hz im extremely tempted! May i ask, are those measurements in inch's? Also the program that your using is it possible to get to try myself? It looks extremely interesting!

Thanks guy! If you want big SPL then you need a big box. Yes, the measurements are in inches.

Bjorno - I must admit whatever is in that picture is way, way above my head. I think i'll have to start simple so save wood and brain cells hehe. Thanks though :)

Inductor - Again that box looks incredibly complicated, i wouldn't want to disgrace such elegant design with my lackluster carpentry skills. Hopefully one day i can gain enough understanding of what makes a good enclosure to build that. Are there any good books or sites you would recommend to get me started with the basics of speaker building? Thanks

BP1Fanatic - Im starting to understand now that it ain't as simple as wacking a box together and wiring the thing up. I can't thank you enough for making these sketch ups though, the last one you've made seems absolutely spot on! Would it be possible to xover this box at 150hz instead of 120? I don't have a xover yet so im making do with my old pv 2000 (its got a fixed xover at 150hz). Regards Mik

Thanks again to all of you for your time and effort, been a great help!

Inductor - Again that box looks incredibly complicated, i wouldn't want to disgrace such elegant design with my lackluster carpentry skills. Hopefully one day i can gain enough understanding of what makes a good enclosure to build that. Are there any good books or sites you would recommend to get me started with the basics of speaker building? Thanks
Sorry for the beautiful picture I posted, it's not mine, was just an illustration for the bandpass. In the contrary of what you might think, or was your first impression, the process of a bandpass is not what you think it's just a dual enclosure as you can find in the pic below. Mysterious, yes but not difficult... :rolleyes:

I would not recommend books or sites as you may get hooked for years, sorry. (But if you insist I can recommend where I started, besides reading the vintage Philips diy book/catalog from the 70's and building new? projects designs with 3-Ways horns with Beymas in the 80's.) :eek:
Pi Speakers - unmatched quality and state-of-the-art performance
Lenard Audio
And magazines and software.
Home Page | Stereophile.com
Hi-Fi World not forgetting Peter Comeau
STEREO PRESTIGE & IMAGE | À découvrir ce mois-ci..., Sono and have fun.

Attachments

• BANDPASS Bose 502B Panaray Subwoofer.jpg
    BANDPASS Bose 502B Panaray Subwoofer.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 72
Inductor - Ahhh i see, so its like two reflex (ported) boxes "stuck" together (to put it in simple terms, sorry as i mentioned earlier im quite new to all of this), haha mysterious indeed :)

Oh and i do insist so thank you for your recommendations and links, i will study them thoroughly. Unfortunately i'm already hooked and i intend to delve deeper if time and money allows me too.

Regards Mik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.