Elekit 8600/8900 - What speakers do you use?

Audio Nirvana Super 15's. Wired for 4 ohm load. Don't ever use the sub unless I'm watching a movie.

Attachments

• IMAG0309.jpg
    IMAG0309.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 404

Attachments

• IMG_4234.jpg
    IMG_4234.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 404
Reactions: 1 user
I’ve been listening to TU-8900 for a few months mainly on headphones. I’ve been using the HEDDphone, HD800, and Focal Clear. I also had a few hours with the Dan Clark Ether C Flow. All headphones worked well. The planars worked particularly well.

I also borrowed a pair of Zigmahornets from a friend as I waited for my Omega speakers to be built. The Zigmahornets were good but not a great reflection of the 8900. At 90db the 300B sounded better than the 2A3 (although I like the 2A3 better on all headphones).

I also hauled the 8900 to another friends house to try it with the Heresy 4s (Victor posted that photo above). Wow, wow, and wow. I was blown away. I finally got to hear what the 8900 could do. Oh, and the 2A3 could now be fairly assessed IMO due to the highly sensitive Klipsch. Unfortunately, my friend got ill about 8 minutes into the session and I had to pack up and leave (he’s ok, just has stuff to deal with sometimes).

So, my Omega Super 3 XRS arrived on Tuesday and I could not be happier. Kudos to Louis, these sound very much like I imagined, only better. My adventures with the 8900 are centered around building a small SET system. Possibly a system that my gigging musician friends can afford (with me building all the kits of course because I’m addicted 😉), hence the affordable Super 3 XRS. This flame red birch is stunning. It looks like I captured a still photo of lava flowing.

Attachments

• E186BEAF-B8E1-4DCC-9F60-A98E1EE0C771.jpg
    E186BEAF-B8E1-4DCC-9F60-A98E1EE0C771.jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 338
I've been using my TU-8600S to drive my B&W CDM9NTs. Even though they are rated at 90dB (2.83v, 1m), I had always heard that B&Ws were a difficult speaker to drive due to their impedance curve. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they do just fine. In fact, they have never sounded better.

They get loud enough for my wife to yell at me to turn it down. However, when she was away I discovered that the amp will shut down if driven too hard. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_6238.jpg
    IMG_6238.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 234
Reactions: 1 users
Thankyou for the answer, I use the 8600 at about 3/4 volume setting on the actual amp and vary the input/volume upstream of it. So far no issues. Also wanted to make sure once I roll to the western electric tubes I have no dramas. This method has been ok with the 8200 I have...

Recently built these kit speakers. They are Ojas Art Bookshelves. The speaker itself is a Coax JBL Pro Control 328C. I'm very pleased. You can learn about Devon Turnbull and Ojas at both Steve Guttenberg's and Ken Micallef's YouTube channels.

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 183
View attachment 1020037
I have my eyes on the LS3/5a for years. Finally got a second hand one. Right now I am using it on desktop with 8200dx. Will try with 8600 in March.
Cool. Let us know how they sound.
Recently built these kit speakers. They are Ojas Art Bookshelves. The speaker itself is a Coax JBL Pro Control 328C. I'm very pleased. You can learn about Devon Turnbull and Ojas at both Steve Guttenberg's and Ken Micallef's YouTube channels.
Fancy an other project so will have a look at this.

Cool. Let us know how they sound.

Fancy an other project so will have a look at this.
IMNO, the LS3/5a and 8200dx is a good match. I am using the 6L6G @ Triode in the moment. The mid from the LS3/5a is amazing. I have the vol set to really low and yet I can hear all the speech clearly and none of my coworkers are complaining I have my music/podcast on. I cannot say the same with the KEF LS50. The LS3/5a is a much better "near field" speaker than the KEF for my office use. I will setup the LS3/5a at home with the 8600 in March and will let everyone know soon.