• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL84 Push Pull 25-30 watts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and looking to build a push pull using EL84s about 25watts. Like Morgan Jones Bevios Vally and the Simple 84, but both of thesse run at about 10watts.

Has anyone got a schematic for a 4xEL84 (per output stage) based on either of these designs, and a really good PSU to match?

Won't to spend time and money making the PSU really solid, and keeping the output stages really simple.

Will be driving from a digital source so don't need the complication of a pre-stage in the PSU.

Thanking all in anticipation ;-)

Data sheet shows AB1 is only good for 11 Watts per pair, so 22Watts per quad..

The only way I can see of getting 25W from a quad of EL84s is to drive them into class AB2.

Data sheet shows 17W per pair in class B, so AB2 should be good for over 22W and less than 34W.

Hmmm. Found another data sheet with AB giving 17W per pair, so 25W for a quad should be doable.

Drop the OPT impedance from 10K to 5K and put the tubes in parallel. Pick a design.

Last edited:
With high level input I'd go for no-fuss 1x ECC83 (LTP) + 4x EL84 (PP) per channel if I were you for better noise cancellation. 310V or slightly higher B+ should provide about 25W at the output and leave plenty of margin for LPT tail resistor without the need for exotic PSU.

Thanks, and...

Thanks guys...I can live with 22 watts, 25 was just a design goal!! On the other hadn I found the attached schematic for 4x EL84 driving into 35 watts at 0.5% THD.

The valves are V1,V2 = ECC83, V3,V4,V5,V6 = EL84, V7 = GZ34 power supply 300VAC on the secondary, the only thing not on the parts list is the output transformer. However, as this is very clsoe to the other designs, how much trouble could I get into using the Bevois Vally spec for a output xformer??

Looks like back to Morgan Jones for another read...

Attachments

• 35Wmono 4 x EL84.gif
    35Wmono 4 x EL84.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,641
  • 4xEL84 parts list and set up spec.txt
    2 KB · Views: 449
Thanks guys...I can live with 22 watts, 25 was just a design goal!! On the other hadn I found the attached schematic for 4x EL84 driving into 35 watts at 0.5% THD.

The valves are V1,V2 = ECC83, V3,V4,V5,V6 = EL84, V7 = GZ34 power supply 300VAC on the secondary, the only thing not on the parts list is the output transformer. However, as this is very clsoe to the other designs, how much trouble could I get into using the Bevois Vally spec for a output xformer??

Looks like back to Morgan Jones for another read...

I would cut out everything before P3, the tone controls, but thats just me.

Athos

4 x EL84 PSU, and Output XT, did I get this right??

Hi all, working up the PSU design for a 4xEL84 PP...

Based on the attached schematic (and PSUD2) the current design as a GZ34 half wave with 300VAC, which if I am right, is producing about 370 for B1.

If I want to replace this with solid state full rectificaiton, then by PSUD2, I would need about 275VAC from the power xformer.

Did I get this right??

Also, no spec on the output transformer on this schematic. Any suggestions on the specs of what I should be looking for to drive 8R??

Thanks in anticipation ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.