• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL70s have arrived!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fakeout, remember that the Mar-Kel70 are quite big :p

and not the simplest build

Sounds like you maybe need a custom version of one of the Mar-Kels

dave

look again at the mini (mMarKel70)

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMar-Kel70-1v0-map-231009.pdf

don't let the size of the box fool ya - they are much simpler to build than the big brother "prime" Mar-Ken, and certainly thana stacked lamination BLH - there are flat-pak kits available for the mini

Last edited:
I am in 100% agreement with others here that the EL70 needs a large box. I'm also totally in love with this driver.

But, can I suggest a small sealed box if using it as a desktop setup. Mine is 7L iirc. It's quite high q. Maybe 0.75 or 0.8. You could go a little bigger possibly... But here's the best part. Since you're using a computer, you can eq the bass back to flat. And you can do it all the way down to 20hz.

Depends though how much amp power and how loud you need to go. This way is certainly not an effecient way to make bass.

Here's a pick.

12425d52.jpg

That's a 17" monitor I think?? Not a bad size really. And that was 3/4" material I used, which probably isn't necessary with adequate bracing, but I got it for free. Simple to build too.

If you don't eq it though, beware, the bass is very lacking :D

m stands for milli...

millis are the speakers i use in my office... FE127eN, EL70, EL70eN, CHP70 in regular rotation.

dave

yah, I knew that...

under 5 liters IIRC ( resistive venting helps with the bass here) 15mm board more than adequate with bracing as drawn, and particularly for near field computer use, even 5 or 6 watts of Tripath power should suffice - won't peal the paint or break your ears, but that'd be silly to do, wouldn't it?

OK guys, just built the Coniston and then Consiton^2. Coniston^2 is muddied wiring both drivers in parallel, but i love the bass, so maybe low passing the one FR until will be the ticket. Dave says they really respond to eNabling, not that i doubt him, but any personal opinions or stories of times long past to share. Probably sending one pair to him to get the treatment. Will keep them for upcoming FAST project. Sorry for slightly OT reply!

I have said that it was akin to reduced CSD in the treble. Someone mentioned that should sound quiter. I agreed it did. There was less ringing in the treble. They went from great, to slightly more great.

Since then I've listened A/B to some CHRs that were enabled. Same thing. The stock CHRs gave me a head ache and I'd never own them. The enabled were bearable. Sorry Kyle, he put me in the hot seat. Which is surprisingly more scary than dragging knee at 150km/hr. I know these people on a personal level :eek: But ya, the enable in both cases seemed to clean up that CSD ringing effect in the top couple octaves. My experience with the CHR was only 1hr and some important controls weren't maintained. The CHR went from bad, to ok.

I have more listening to do. Dave and I have discussed getting more time in. I only listened to that EL70 A/B pair for about 4 hours total... It was a while ago.

OK guys, just built the Conisten and then Consiten^2. Conisten^2 is muddied wiring both drivers in parallel, but i love the bass, so maybe low passing the one FR until will be the ticket. Dave says they really respond to eNabling, not that i doubt him, but any personal opinions or stories of times long past to share. Probably sending one pair to him to get the treatment. Will keep them for upcoming FAST project. Sorry for slightly OT reply!

at 3.6R, a pair in parallel could cause problems for a lot of amps - particularly in the bottom end - in series in my microtowers, the Tubelab Simple PP just luvs em

If you buy the pair direct from him, he matches their T/S parameters also. He can tell you more though. His stock might also be running dry :eek:

I have 4 pairs. Maybe I should send them all and he can pick best two. I love Volunteering him for work:D

actually total inventory was recently replenished, but ultimately this little gem will be hard to source in stock or treated form

He needs more to do ;)

not right now, he doesn't - something about life interfering with plans - a Zen koan in there somewhere

Oh and, I have done an A/B with the EL70 enabled from Dave. There was a difference. Not sure how it compares to other enabled drivers in terms of how great the difference is, if you've had other drivers enabled.
and Ryan's point on accumulated exposure / immersion is well made - although it needn't take over 10,000 hrs experience to notice the difference in emotional / musical impact, and even critics/writers with many times that may have trouble admitting to it or expressing it in objective terms

not right now, he doesn't - something about life interfering with plans - a Zen koan in there somewhere

Ya, I get the sense he's quite busy. I meant that as a joke. :spin:

emotional / musical impact

You can see I'm not very good at using those types of terms :eek: It's difficult to express in objective terms as you mentioned. I'm to technical for that sort of thing. But yes, the treble region is what improved imo.

at 3.6R, a pair in parallel could cause problems for a lot of amps - particularly in the bottom end - in series in my microtowers, the Tubelab Simple PP just luvs em

actually total inventory was recently replenished, but ultimately this little gem will be hard to source in stock or treated form

and Ryan's point on accumulated exposure / immersion is well made - although it needn't take over 10,000 hrs experience to notice the difference in emotional / musical impact, and even critics/writers with many times that may have trouble admitting to it or expressing it in objective terms

Driving them with Ba3 biased at 3 amps capable of rail to rail ClassA

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.