• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

EL166 MTM ML-TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just came up with an idea. Wouldn't it be possible to tilt them back somewhat to become less off-axis?
Just place some spacers or something underneath the front of the cabinet to tilt them back a little.

I think i may go calculate how much i'd need to tilt them. But not today, been doing enough math for today :p

What would the sonic differences be between two EL166 and an ERT26 tweeter versus two EL166 and an EL70? Ofcourse crossover is different and the EL70 version is a little more expensive.

Thinking of this as my school project for next year and hoping to get some sort of sponsorship :)

What would the sonic differences be between two EL166 and an ERT26 tweeter versus two EL166 and an EL70? Ofcourse crossover is different and the EL70 version is a little more expensive.

Thinking of this as my school project for next year and hoping to get some sort of sponsorship :)

that give you plenty of time to collect empties from the weekend parties, and wait for the mail

So, it is well worth the extra cost for the el70 then I suppose. Thanks!

If you wanted to stick with MA drivers, the Alpair 6P would be another candidate - the 6M's can dig deep enough for HT rear/surrounds, and I've heard the 6P solo in a smallish box - I can't see either of them not working well as mid-tweeter. The big question would be choice and method of XO (i.e. frequency point and active/passive), and amplification (which could also be DIY'ed) .

A school project with thorough documentation of the decision making and design process, as well as the construction, could be very impressive to the teachers, and a great shared learning experience. You might even be able to sell a few.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Made pretty and now off to a new home.

257917d1325459619-seeking-help-first-speaker-project-chris-family-comp.jpg

Just ordered a case of EL166 to do some more variations.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.