ECM8000 Orientation for Speaker Measurements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To "calibrate" my ECM-8000, I did almost like Dave.
I've got BMIdland's measurements from Seas, and built an test enclosure with the exact same dimensions. Then I measured both 27TDFC an d 27TFFC and compared it to Idland's measurements. My mic was very good up to 4000hz, at both 0 and 45 degrees. From 4000hz it peaked.
When I tried 90degree, it measured very closed from 4khz and up, but then it was about 2dB out at 2khz.

From those measurements I easily made my own calibration file in Speaker Workshop. I decided to use 45deg and removed all data below 1400hz, and used a 1/3 octave smoothing to remove the small variations from the cal file.

I also have tested and compared with CA18RNX, CA18RLY and new measurements of the tweeters. From 1khz and up its now better than 0,5dB matched to Idland's measurements.

I have also done the same thing to check my calibration of impedance measurements in Speaker Workshop.

So, like Dave said: buy a set of tweeters where you can copy the measurement setup from the vendor, and calibrate yourself.

At least for this mic, I think the point is that we trust the variance between good tweeters to be less than the variance between ECM8k's.

This mic has been proven to be a bit quirky from unit to unit in the top two octaves (although very good below that from unit to unit).

It's not a perfect solution, but it helps gain a ballpark estimate, which may be good enough for most people.

In my case, my mic was off over 6dB from the "standard" cal files at 16kHz, so I trust that my ribbon tweeters in the MG10.1s are flat enough to compensate for that. Again, not perfect, but it gets me closer without shelling out $120 for calibration.

Before I did not believe my measurements, now I can honestly say, I believe them as flat as my Magnepans :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
xiphmont said:

How is this any more accurate than just trusting the vendor 'calibration' for the ECM8000? You're just trading one inaccurate curve that's an average across many units for another.

I would use Zaph's measurements or some other documented DIyer's as a reference if I was to use some tweeter on some known baffle for calibration. Not best, like having a calibrated mike on hand so to match the uncalibrated one, but better than manufacturer's marketing data.

b_force said:
are both measurements done with the standard infinit baffle, on the same distance, temperature, humidity (very improtant with omni mics) etc ?

It's very difficult to use the same measurement setup.

Like I said, BMIdland at Seas has measured all the tweeter and woofers in the same enclosure, without moving the mic. I have this measurements and the drawing for the enclosure. Temperature is "roomtemp" in both cases, so maybe I miss with one or two degrees celsius. Humidity I dont know. But do anyone know this when the mic is calibrated? And do you only measure your speakers when the climate is perfect?
And if the mic is one dB out, does it matter when building DIY speakers?

For me it doesnt, but is OK to know that the measurements you do, is very good, and not nearly 6dB off at 15khz.

I have compared a total of 15 Seas drivers with Idland's measurements, and it all came out within 0,5dB. So yes I'm sure thats better than no "calibration" at all. (I have bought all the drivers to build 5 speaker for my home theater.

Of course a calibrated mic is the best, and I would have done it, if there was anyone who could do it for me, at least in my home country.

ok, that wasn't really clear in your post(s).

I doesn't mather if you know exactly humidity, the point is that the calibration are done in the same circumstances.

I'm studying physics and we'v measured by coincidence some time ago some mic's and sensors with different temperatures and humidity.
There where quite some big differences.

But at the end, when you measure only 0,5dB difference form the original (calibrated) measurements, that's quite well.
It surprises me, but it's lucky for you :) :cool:

Here in Europe you can have your mic calibrated by a few companies in Germany for example. It costs around 30 euros. (without shipping)

b_force said:
ok, that wasn't really clear in your post(s).

I doesn't mather if you know exactly humidity, the point is that the calibration are done in the same circumstances.

I'm studying physics and we'v measured by coincidence some time ago some mic's and sensors with different temperatures and humidity.
There where quite some big differences.

But at the end, when you measure only 0,5dB difference form the original (calibrated) measurements, that's quite well.
It surprises me, but it's lucky for you :) :cool:

Here in Europe you can have your mic calibrated by a few companies in Germany for example. It costs around 30 euros. (without shipping)

Nothing is clear in my posts, because my english sucks ! :)

Lucky you, studying physics, that must be fun! But remember NOT to tell the highend gurus that sound is physics. It isnt you see, it just voodo and magic! :D

BTW; it is maybe wrong to say that my measurements was within 0,5dB? It was +/- 0,5 dB, then you say within 1dB I suppose.......?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Norcad said:
So you ment to say that the highend gurus, do smokes before they listen to music? :)

Well for me its enough with a glas of cognac, after a while my DIY speakers are just perfect!

I meant to say that some THC proves that perceiving sound is much more than air vibrating the ear drum. If it alters, then much is in the brain.

Now do filter sonic perception through a mind of a guru that you never met out of a system that you have never seen or listened to, and see how important the personal experience is over reviews.

Congrats for your cognac tweak! Less expensive than special cables and always effective! ;)

Re: New ECM8000?

longitude said:
I just bought a ECM8000 for room correction.
However, found that its frequency response:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

flat up to 22khz
Seems that they are selling new version of ECM8000 right?

No, they've always claimed that. Look closely, the schematic there on the side also claims to be using a transformer (only the original version from a long time ago did, they just never updated the box).

Monty

Re: Re: New ECM8000?

xiphmont said:

No, they've always claimed that. Look closely, the schematic there on the side also claims to be using a transformer (only the original version from a long time ago did, they just never updated the box).

Monty

Really?
Cause I found it is different from the spec on behringer website:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.