• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECL86 or ECL85 for mini amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ECL85 makes a good driver, and yes, it can be used in an audioamp, but that was not the question. You asks if would be better...
No, it will not be better. The simple fact is that you would have to make a different output transformer and the triode has less gain, the ECL86 is half an ECC83 and a EL84 combined. So easy to get a good amp.

Sure it does, as a transformer for a EL84 can be found easy. Do you have a transformer lying arround in you junkbox for a ECL85? It would surprise me. Yes, any transformer can be used to get some output, but again, that was not asked, wasn’t it?
Why people can not just answer what was asked in the first entry?
How difficult is that?

Best regards, Frank

ECL85 makes a good driver, and yes, it can be used in an audioamp, but that was not the question. You asks if would be better...
No, it will not be better. The simple fact is that you would have to make a different output transformer and the triode has less gain, the ECL86 is half an ECC83 and a EL84 combined. So easy to get a good amp.

ECL86 is half ECC83 end EL41 or EL80 combined, but not EL84!

Last edited:
Thanks. I know the ECL86 was designed for AF and is the obvious choice. But there are a lot of ECL85 amp schemes on the net that claimed to be good too.

In my case I am just curious because I use the pentode in triode mode. The ECL85 triode might then be a better driver as it resembles half of an ECC81.

ECL85/6GV8-XCL85/9GV8-LCL85/10GV8-PCL85/18GV8 is a very good tube for audio amplifiers, very linear, with lower internal resistance and with lower supply voltages uses an output transformer of lower primary impedance (read: cheaper!) than the tube ECL86 / 6GW8-PCL86 / 14GW8, which is much cheaper and lighter to procure.
The improved ECL805 / PCL805 variant, which has an increased maximum platee dissipation (especially from TELEFUNKEN) of Pa = 11W, is even better, but it is also increasingly difficult to find.
The attached data refer to SE-class-A with the cathode feedback of the output tube connected to the 16 Ohm secondary terminal.

Attachments

• ECL85-MJ3a.jpg
    ECL85-MJ3a.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 472
ECL85 is a very good tube for audio amplifiers, very linear, with lower internal resistance and with lower supply voltages uses an output transformer of lower primary impedance (read: cheaper!). The improved ECL805 variant, which has an increased maximum plate dissipation (especially from TELEFUNKEN) of Pa = 11W, is even better, but it is also increasingly difficult to find.
Interesting as I have a few NOS Telefunken ECL805's lying here. But my OPT's are for EL84 alikes so I think I will stick with the ECL86 right now.

Hi Jeroen,

I know the ECL86 (in triode mode) is a good sounding tube for making a simple SET mini amp with. Just curious if an ECL85 would do even better? Any experiences soundwise?

ECL85 / 6GV8 /PCL85 / PCL805 / 18GV8 pentode section strapped as triode can make a very nice and compact 5 Watt push pull amp. The rather lowish plate resistance helps with even rather "cheap" iron. Using decent iron, I prefer it to triode strapped PP using E/PCL86 any day.

I built several amps with that tube.

Kind regards, Tom Schlangen

EDIT: Uh, you were asking about SET, not tridoded PP. Anyway, my plate curves should be of help :)

Attachments

• ecl85_triode_strapped.jpg
    ecl85_triode_strapped.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
If you want to run the ECL85 power pentode at 250 V plate voltage and 36 mA plate current, you can try a 7kohms OT. If you've got a ECL805 and run it at 250 V and 42 mA, hence 10.5 watts plate dissipation, the OT needs to transform to 6 kohms as a rule of thumb.
Best regards!

If you want to run the ECL85 power pentode at 250 V plate voltage and 36 mA plate current, you can try a 7kohms OT. If you've got a ECL805 and run it at 250 V and 42 mA, hence 10.5 watts plate dissipation, the OT needs to transform to 6 kohms as a rule of thumb.
Best regards!
These OT impedances are not that different as with ECL86. My OPT's are probably 7k so I think it is worth trying it. I run them on 300V/30mA...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.