• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC40 instead of ECC83 rimlock valves build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another idea: If you've got yet some ECC40's, but no EBC41, you'd want to completely rearrange the PI section around the triode pair from the original LTP to a voltage amplifier plus a Concertina, see page 4, Fig. B in the yet mentioned Philips ECC40 datsheet. Total voltage gain will be about the same as with a ECC83 LTP, and as EL41's are frugal to drive, a Concertina will work as well. But be aware of it's poor PSRR, i.e. provide good plate supply filtering!

Best regards!

I just saw your reply and thank you for taking your time to answer. Yes I do have a couple (but not 4) EBC41 and I already drilled the holes for the ECC40 and heater wiring :rolleyes:
But definitely a good idea, too late I guess. And yes I know from experience what happens with the Concertina when the B+ is not well filtered, no idea why that happens though.

work in progress
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

There's also this:
http://www.valveheart-bg.com/Scans/pp_i10w.gif

but that phase inverter looks odd, or primitive, with a voltage divider driving the second triode :confused:

It's never too late :)!

As said before, you can use the same tubes, but you may want to rearrange the PI section around your ECC40.

PSRR of a Concertina is bad due to it's arrangement as a voltage divider (as seen from plate supply), and is even worsened due to the different impedances at the tube's cathode and plate.

Best regards!

Let me propose some mod's and values :) keeps me bizzy :D
If you don't need the tone control, skip the EF40 and put the volume control on the first grid of the ECC40.
Mona

Attachments

• 41PP.jpg
    41PP.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 301
or this ?

I would go ef40 to channel one , ecc40 channel 2 then use another ecc40 , one section to boost gain and one as cathodyne PI and then another ecc40 to drive each el41.....put your tone stacks after the first ecc40 and ef40....play with the resistors until the volume balance is good between the two channels

Ive done this myself but with 7 pin tubes 6c4 , 6at6, 6aq5 Quad , good results 20+watts cheap too ...

I know this thread is old but this is where people look for ideas....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.