easyDAC = NOS R-2R AD1862 DAC + Headphone Amp

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Ernest 🤗 I've thought about it many times and I didn't find definitive solution for:
  • 1 how to simplify PSU? ... AD1862 needs +-12V power supply, an alternative could be AD1865 (+-5V)
  • 2 which SMD opAmp to use for I/V, single or dual? LM6172 is dual, so one part could be used for headphones amplifier
  • 3 PCM2706 (USB/I2S) does not support software controlled volume (in the player only), so what should I do with the potentiometer?
  • 4 USB/I2S from STM32F401, which could be programmed to drop the glue logic and the dac would be feeded directly
  • 5 drop the relay switch and switching audio through a mechanical switch directly
  • 6 changing some critical capacitors for THT
My 2 cents:

1 AD1865 would be a great option - at least for me, as I have a few of them - and as you say, it would simpliy the psu
2 Having not tried opa1656 (100mA outputcurrent - 4,3mA supply current) - in this design, yet in the AD1862 (utilizing Vunce pcb) I have and I am pretty satisfied with it. Keep it like that. Will try in this DAC as well this weekend. Also I do like LM6171 (50mA outputcurrent - 2.3mA supply current). Would it better the TPA6120 chip? Opa1622 has 132mA/32Ohm and just 2.3mA supply current. ...
3 You wanna get rid of it? I consider them not so bad, at least for DACs that are mainly for 16 bits. Am I wrong?
4 No idea. Advantages - disadvantages?
5 Let it just have a headphone out. Guess this is the 99% case.
6 It possible, yes.

Have a good day :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Nah... in spite of the AD1865 I mean ! It's not for me it is for my buddy Ernst as I think he has already the ad1862 and this time if he wants more transportable and ligther the pcm 56 will serve him better for the music than the ad1865 imho. Me I do not need a board, that's a long time now i haven't no time to listen to music :cry:

yeah so little time... we need a 3d printing sunglasses project that is proof to atomic blast ligtht !

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
No time for music, this is sad. :cry:

It Is not, that I need another DAC, not at all.
I just remembered that Miro had been working on an updated design, and I am curious and like to build these thingies.

AD 1865 is, what I have, and I want to start using parts, I already have before buying new ones. So I would be very happy with such a portable DAC and Miro brought up some questions. ....

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
You can use bf245a in rsverse position in spite of j113, the toshiba sc are in stock, the zx something as well, if no sSussumu then kyocera avx in 25 ppm are very good or vishay are good enough....then the caps, ah...make your own choices ;) . Still keep carbon after the bridge and around the regs. If you need dc blocking the ES muse or the back to back Silmic are a trade off as I like very much more no dc on my Aya 2014. There is maybe one cap not too much expensiive that worths it to be tried there as you need around 25 uF ...k73-16, you still can try to bypass with a LCR tinned styren -while I do not like too much bypass at dc blocking position. You let me know how it sounds as I have no access to the build thread. The manual has not my 15V mod anymore and my its cap advice model, I was said by another membed...:cry::eek:

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi guys, I accidently did a kind of measurment of my EasyDac these days, when I had my Focusrite thing and my EasyDac on the table. Did a 1kHz distortion plot and a frequency plot. Just to know, how it looks like and for these, who like to look at this. Don't look at the absolute db level, just at the relaive level. Nos droop is good to see and in my eyes a relatively nice distortion spectrum. Btw, in my AD1862 DAC, which has adjustable distortion and PSU2, the noisefloor was better by about 10 db and I could better disortions by almost 20 db, if I remember correctly. Will have a look into it. Anyway, I was surprised. :)

Frequenzgang EASYDAC.jpg

EASY DAC.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Have tried opa1611 (normal dil2dip adapter) and opa1656 (vunce dual2single pcb adapter) in this DAC. Unfortunately with both the DAC showed excessive heat after a while. So I think, they both were oscillating :-(. I never experienced this behaviour before that, yet I have heard of it.
Back to dil, in this case opa132, as lm6171 currently is located in big dac.