• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E55L Parafeed Spud Design - Your Thoughts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Try this.
It's enough close to the real curves.

.subckt E55L p g k
;Rydel's Models Triode Mode
+params: gp=0.004735979219 b=3734.604234
+ c=0.3266713215 d=79.54627249
+ cgk=11p cgp=5p
+ cpk=1.8p mu=30
e1 1 0 value= {1+(v(g,k)/b)}
re1 1 0 100meg
e2 2 0 value= {v(p,k)/(v(p,k)+c)}
re2 2 0 100meg
e3 3 0 value= {v(g,k)+((v(p,k)+d)/mu)}
re3 3 0 100meg
g1 p k value= {gp*v(1)*v(2)*(pwr(v(3),1.5)+pwrs(v(3),1.5))}
rpk p k 100meg
c1 g k {cgk}
c2 g p {cgp}
c3 p k {cpk}
.ends

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Don't forget to use ferrite beads.
High gm pentodes tend to oscillate even in triode mode.

Attachments

• Ultimate E55L spud amp.jpg
    Ultimate E55L spud amp.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 270
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Here is my adjusted load line and schematic.

Curves traced with 2.5K LL, 170Va, 55mA.

E55L 2.5K Load Line.png

Approximate schematic (doesn't fit real-world curves exactly). Cathode bias with the OPT primary returned to the cathode.

E55L Spud Cathode Bias.png

Think this is better, and easier. And will use ferrite beads, euro21 ;)

This.

Especially considering that finding an appropriate size choke for this project is actually pretty easy.

On the other hand, CCSs are cheaper than a plate choke and they would eat enough of the ripple and noise from the PSU that you can probably get away with a single RC filter after the rectifier.

You just have to deal with the heat.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I am using a spare transformer for this project, 325VAC, a choke load is not practical with it.

I see the additional PSRR as only a benefit, which will reduce the number of components needed in the passive supply. The OPT will also have headphone output taps.

Other than the heat, which is accounted for, what is the downside?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMHO the downside is the parafeed itself.

About a year ago I tried -as breadboard- the E55L parafeed layout, but it wasn't better (measurement), than OPT loaded E55L spud.

BTW the tried 1:1 -Slagle- interstage almost as costly than an OPT. :-(

Attachments

• 1_2 SUT, E55L parafeed amplifier.jpg
    1_2 SUT, E55L parafeed amplifier.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 184
An IXY by itself will have an order of magnitude higher impedance and lower parasitics than any OT so its impacts on the overall sound will be swamped. It can also cope withe the dissipation adequately if heatsinked. A stacked CCS is just overkill in every department.

Shoog

Joined 2019
Paid Member
An IXY by itself will have an order of magnitude higher impedance and lower parasitics than any OT so its impacts on the overall sound will be swamped. It can also cope withe the dissipation adequately if heatsinked. A stacked CCS is just overkill in every department.

Shoog

Well thanks Shoog, I'll take a look, do some simulations. I was more interested in the increased ripple rejection that could be attained in cascode and reducing the number of passive components in the supply, but perhaps it isn't necessary, will report back.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
IMHO the downside is the parafeed itself.

About a year ago I tried -as breadboard- the E55L parafeed layout, but it wasn't better (measurement), than OPT loaded E55L spud.

BTW the tried 1:1 -Slagle- interstage almost as costly than an OPT. :-(

That is quite the diode string, euro21. In what way was the parafeed setup inferior? Very happy with my 45 parafeed SET. I know many do not like the reactive load, but substitutes high quality cap into the signal path as opposed to last PSU cap and simplified power supply with good PSRR. Bonus for me is I have a Sowter mains transformer appropriate for the project, with CCS load as opposed to choke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.