Dynaudio facette original crossover schematics

Hi,
I have disassembled one of the speakers and have accessed the crossover, here is a photograph

Attachments

• 0B230C83-D829-48AD-93ED-4E1839E827D0.jpeg
    0B230C83-D829-48AD-93ED-4E1839E827D0.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 461
I think the most important capacitors would be cap1 3.3uF and cap2 15.0 uF, correct me if I'm not right. I wanted to have improved them with Jantzen Superior or Mundorf Supreme EVO, but due to space problems I'm going to choose Clarity Caps CSA, any other opinion?

Regarding Cap3 6.8uF and cap4 4.7uF, I could continue with Clarity Caps SA or can I put Mundorf Mcap EVO Oil.

Regarding the cap5 of 15.uF and the cap6 of 0.68uF, they seem the least important, the 15uF would be replaced by Jantzen Standard or Mundorf EVO and finally the 0.68 uF polyester capacitor 6 would replace it by Jantzen Cross.

The bi-polar capacitor would replace it with a Mundorf BG35.

What do you think? Any suggestion?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You will get widely varying answers to that question. The Solens are perfectly good caps.

Different people will tell you that they hear night and day differences between different caps, or that they hear no difference whatsoever.

If you spend big on "ugraded" caps you may be happy but you also may not be. There are many subjective reviews of crossover capacitors, emphasis on subjective.

More expensive does not necessarily equate to better.

I run Axon caps in my crossover (very similar to Solen) when deliberating over whether I think it is worth the cost to try something "better" the clarity cap CSA's seemed a reasonable choice that didn't break the bank too much, and they seemed to have some science behind their claims of superiority.

I've not yet tried, but lean towards the skeptical side (ie I think if I did upgrade I would probably be disapointed as I wouldn't hear any difference). If nothing else it will be a case of diminishing returns. You get to the point where a significant increase in cost results in a very marginal improvement.

Tony.

Thanks Miata5 for the photos so far. I would like to ask a favor to post a shot from the other side od the board so I can check the wiring diagram is correct. I'll post a schematic of it once I'm confident it's ok. You just name the cap values of the ones that are hard to read.

You will get widely varying answers to that question. The Solens are perfectly good caps.

Different people will tell you that they hear night and day differences between different caps, or that they hear no difference whatsoever.

If you spend big on "ugraded" caps you may be happy but you also may not be. There are many subjective reviews of crossover capacitors, emphasis on subjective.

I run Axon caps in my crossover (very similar to Solen) when deliberating over whether I think it is worth the cost to try something "better" the clarity cap CSA's seemed a reasonable choice that didn't break the bank too much, and they seemed to have some science behind their claims of superiority.

I've not yet tried, but lean towards the skeptical side (ie I think if I did upgrade I would probably be disapointed as I wouldn't hear any difference). If nothing else it will be a case of diminishing returns. You get to the point where a significant increase in cost results in a very marginal improvement.

Tony.
ClarityCap CSA are a world better then Solen including cap technology
please, try by yourself

Tony.

The only cap that will need replacing is the silver electrolytic on the left of your crossover photo, replacing the others is pointless

Thanks Tony,

The you could change the electrolytic and the two capacitors that go to the positive of the tweer and test if there is any improvement.

Does changing the resistors help anything? I'm not sure about this, but I had thought of Ohmite Audio Gold.

Max

Last edited:
Thanks Miata5 for the photos so far. I would like to ask a favor to post a shot from the other side od the board so I can check the wiring diagram is correct. I'll post a schematic of it once I'm confident it's ok. You just name the cap values of the ones that are hard to read.

I won't be able to take the photo until this weekend.

Regarding the values ​​of the caps are in a previous post, except for the bipolar electrolytic that is 82uF 50V.

The resistors are: 10W 15R, 5W 2R2, 5W 3R3, 5W 15R and two of 5W 4R7.

Max