Dual subs, small volume, big space, high WAF

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
2 features: motion cancellation, and even order distortion cancellation. The benefits of these 2 are significant in subs.

As to the height (or volume), it's up to the driver you use. For matching with your array and the restriction in space, I think simple sealed box is the best solution. I just add the 2 features above into the design.

No particular driver in mind. Look for heavy cone, low VAS, high Q woofer to fit seal alignment.

Or you can use Linkwitz Transform to shrink the box further.

A mini 1 fold tapped horn might work quite well.
I was just having a search for chinese speakers China Speaker driver from Jiaxing Manufacturer: Fountek Electronic Co. Ltd
but no useful thiele small parameters to make a decent box for it, shame about the MCM stuff, that WOULD have filled your large room!

Here are the T/S params for that driver:

Fountek Fw300c 12 Inch Sub Woofer Driver Hifi Professional Woofer Speaker Driver - Buy 12 Inch Sub Woofer,Hifi Woofer,Professional Woofer Product on Alibaba.com

Another approach, small woofer in slim TH.

Forgot this: Tapped Horns

Scroll down, in around the middle of that page, you might find something interesting and fit your need.

I believe any of these 2 would pass the test from my significant other!
I never built a tapped horn sub before... come to think of it, I believe I have never heard one either!

30 and 38Hz tapped horns

Tangband_38Hz_single_and_doublefold.jpg

30cm wide, 100cm tall and 35cm deep (that's about 12" x 39" x 14")

Width has to stay the same 30cm or 12".

I started with 100cm, 39", tall, but if the box is less deep, I could paint / design something to conceal it more with the wall and surroundings.

Depth max would be the same at 35cm, 14".

This is getting exciting!

Went over MCM, they have a lot of drivers that looks like they were made here. I like that little woofer. looks like fun.

Unfortunately, that 55-2421 is nowhere to be found here. I asked some distributors, waiting on their answer. Shipping drivers overseas is quite expensive. I tried. Basically, a $50 driver costs $50 to ship. Then add customs... One of the little problems from living way over here in Asia!

You would use 3 drivers x2 in a push-pull config? Isobaric?

It's a clone of the tangband w8-740 ( Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer ). May be cheaper in your area.

OK, with isobaric, THs potentially 'in the mix', we need to know the XO point/slope as both these severely limit usable BW to ~ [2] octaves.

GM

Yep, those THs are growing on me... mostly because it is something I have never tried nor heard. Will need to see if it is possible in my case.

My newly built arrays go down to about 100Hz. They start to distort around 80Hz.

It's a clone of the tangband w8-740 ( Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer ). May be cheaper in your area.

It should be! The head office is right here in Taiwan, I just discovered.

Funny because Tang Bands are nowhere to be found in stores, online, ... anywhere I looked around here, even when I used Google in Chinese.

I already looked at Usher, which is also a local company and much cheaper when bought locally, but their drivers only have 3mm Xmax.

I just wrote to Tang Band in Taipei, so I'll wait for their answer. If nothing falls through, I may give those AHE paper cones I posted a try.

Oh, sealed. I see.

Of course that would be the easiest.
Smaller stacked up sealed boxes.

That was my original idea as well, but if possible in my case, I think I would like to try a TH. They have the best chance for WAF, I believe... plus, they seem quite efficient for big spaces.

Starting at 100Hz, 2 octaves down, so that means I can reach 25Hz? Depending on the size and design of course.

Would love to.

I asked Erich last year if he could send me some drivers, and he didn't want to.
He said he didn't want to send drivers all the way over to Taiwan.

If I can use the 8" I found here, design a similar box around it, That'd be the best.

On another note, it's the weekend here, so I don't expect an answer from Tang Band before at least Monday.

Well a picture of the MCM subwoofer design is in the attachment. You could put a nice fabric grille on it and hide the woofer openings. I believe this would give you the most output for the size and is probably as efficient as the tapped horns and takes more power, but you have to buy more drivers. So you may want to try a tapped horn, or even a design like the Tuba 18 or Autotuba from Bill Fitzmaurice, which will be bigger for the same output but use less drivers.
I didn't know Tang Band were based in china, they'll probably work in similar designs, although the Tang Band cones are slightly heavier (not as heavy as the JBL GTO804 cones though) which might affect the upper bass and the efficiency. I've heard the build quality is better on them though, and 6 Tang band W8 740P should be killer in a corner loaded 38 Hz push pull VB, and they also work well in the Autotuba/T18 from Bill Fitzmaurice. I'll look up the Tang Band T/S parameters.
Also thanks for the T/S parameters on that 12. The Q is nice and low on those, so looks promising for compact VBs. Paramaters at first glance look similar to a Lab 12. I'll investigate this.

Attachments

• MCM sub 2.jpg
    MCM sub 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 244
I just checked the response of 6 tang band W8740P in a 96 litre box with a 200 sq cm port which is 26.2cm long. (System volume 101.24 litres).
Almost identical in 2.83V 1m to that of 6 MCM 55-2421 below 100Hz. The effect of the heavier cone is seen in the impedance chart. It draws more power, as the average impedance is lower from 50-60Hz up.
Both are about 96dB sensitivity in a 2.83V 1m chart with 3 series/2 parallel configuration.
Predicted maximum output is 136dB 1m with 80V in 1/8 space, and 8mm peak excursion. Displacement graphs are almost identical. Recommended high pass in 1/8 space is 35Hz. This is about the output of a Faital Pro 15 with 12.5mm of Xmax. It will take around 1000 watt amp, though even with 100 watt amp it should be pretty loud. Interestingly as the Tang band has 12mm of Xmax, 140dB 1m seems possible in theory, although you'd be at extreme high risk of burning out the voice coils with 40V to each one so I'd advise you didn't.
If that's not enough, or it doesn't go low enough for you, then you'll have to go bigger. But it should do most music with authority.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.