Dual Mono DAC AK4490/AK4497

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello themystical,

Quick question : in your dual mono implementation, after configuring each DAC to output only left or right via I2C, did you do anything else? For example, did you invert the phase of one channel per DAC so that there's another differential / summing step? Or did you just get one channel's output per DAC?

Hey everyone, I'm interested in building the diyinhk Ak4490 dac, together with their isolated XMOS and LT3042 regulators - 3 pairs alltogether, for 3.3v, 5v, and +-15v.
Two questions though:
1. should I go for LT3042 all around or are the shunt regs much better in this dac? Something like Salas BiB and Reflektor-D, or TPA trident regs with Placid HD?
2. Would the JLSounds lcd board work on this dac, maybe with some adjustments? Link here
If it won't work, what is the easiest option to have direct volume control (not over pc)?

Also, this thread is a little quiet, is there something new going on?

2. Would the JLSounds lcd board work on this dac, maybe with some adjustments? Link here
If it won't work, what is the easiest option to have direct volume control (not over pc)?
No, the JLsounds display board can work only with their DAC board, which includes a uC.

I'm afraid there's no easy solution for "direct" volume control with the diyinhk boards. You would have to use some uC board, may be an Arduino, and program it yourself.

If you're looking for an easier and ready made solution, then go for a full JLsounds setup.

Or a Mirand (see sonnya thread here on diyaudio). Possibly better, but more expensive than the simple JLsounds.

JLsounds also have a ready made dual mono complete DAC board (with 4495, though). Looks very nice, but it's rather expensive.

Hope it helps. :)

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 utilizzando Tapatalk

@UnixMan thanks for clearing that, already ordered from diyinhk so I'll have to find another way for volume control. It would be nice to use Raspberry Pi as player and hardware volume control at the same time.

@Raj1 could you share some details of your build? I ordered LT3042 regs cause it was convenient, but I did read that shunts should be even better for a dac, especially for analog section.

And to go back on-topic: how much more power does a dual mono draw compared to stereo version, and are these LT3042 regs sufficient for that? (Should be around 500mA more according to diyinhk description)

@UnixMan thanks for clearing that, already ordered from diyinhk so I'll have to find another way for volume control. It would be nice to use Raspberry Pi as player and hardware volume control at the same time.

@Raj1 could you share some details of your build? I ordered LT3042 regs cause it was convenient, but I did read that shunts should be even better for a dac, especially for analog section.

And to go back on-topic: how much more power does a dual mono draw compared to stereo version, and are these LT3042 regs sufficient for that? (Should be around 500mA more according to diyinhk description)

Hi,

I use Tent Shunt regulators for all rails and have separated the 3.3V analog and digital rails on the DIYINHK board. The Analog 5V can be overvolted somewhat, so I asked Tentlabs to make me a 7V shunt for that. The noise of the Tent shunts is lower than most of the other solutions, which is where I think some of the sonic gains come from.

-Raja

Hi,

I use Tent Shunt regulators for all rails and have separated the 3.3V analog and digital rails on the DIYINHK board. The Analog 5V can be overvolted somewhat, so I asked Tentlabs to make me a 7V shunt for that. The noise of the Tent shunts is lower than most of the other solutions, which is where I think some of the sonic gains come from.

-Raja

So do you use only the Tent regs or have some other regs/preregs before them? Could you be so kind to post a photo of how you fit the Tents in there? Most interested :)

So do you use only the Tent regs or have some other regs/preregs before them? Could you be so kind to post a photo of how you fit the Tents in there? Most interested :)

No pre regs. Just some local capacitance and fly leads to battery packs. Can't post a pic as Im currently on a business trip in Taiwan. You don't need one really. The DIYINHK board has headers for power input and that's all one needs.

No pre regs. Just some local capacitance and fly leads to battery packs. Can't post a pic as Im currently on a business trip in Taiwan. You don't need one really. The DIYINHK board has headers for power input and that's all one needs.

Ok, I thought you modded the board somehow. That's pretty straightforward then, I'll make sure to try the batteries and build some Salas shunts later on. Can't wait for the kit to arrive :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.