DSP Xover project (part 2)

ok, well yeah the resistors should be as close as possible, but if in parallel with the header there would already be termination is what I mean, so might be a bit messy to have on the adapter.

those details I would leave up to Chapark, which we should probably do right now, I think i've made my preferences known.

You haven't told us what dac's you will be using. On the other hand the
analog volumecontrol is quite expensive and is maybe going to be optional.
Since there is need for one you are not using the "Ess Sabre 9018" that has
volumecontrol built in. Is there time to reconsider your dac choise ?
I'm quite sure that your sales would increase significantly just from
the "Sabre's" reputation.
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/SABRE32%20Reference%20PB%20Rev%200.6%20110117.pdf

that would cause MASSIVE delay and require the addition of an 8 channel IV stage. given his choice of CS parts, id say its one of the CS multichannel voltage out dacs. everyone has an idea of how they like an ESS dac made, he would be bogged down for eons in suggestions. it would increase the cost of the project massively and the time to completion would be extended a LOT. better to just let people make their own choice if they want a high end dac. i'm using sabre, but I dont think it would be wise to have as standard. people either love or hate them

You haven't told us what dac's you will be using. On the other hand the
analog volumecontrol is quite expensive and is maybe going to be optional.
Since there is need for one you are not using the "Ess Sabre 9018" that has
volumecontrol built in. Is there time to reconsider your dac choise ?
I'm quite sure that your sales would increase significantly just from
the "Sabre's" reputation.
http://www.esstech.com/PDF/SABRE32%20Reference%20PB%20Rev%200.6%20110117.pdf

The Sabre doesn't have analogue volume. It has digital volume.

The DAC I've chosen also has digital volume, and that's what makes the analogue chip optional:
- If the board has the analogue volume chip, then volume is analogue.
- Otherwise if the board doesn't have the analogue chip, then there's still volume control, but digital (like on the Sabre).

massive delay in production and development is what I mean, it would be a complete redesign and you can bet everyone would have a suggestion as to..well just about everything from clocking, IV, power supplies etc. and I would still not use it, ive already got multiple ackodacs and the layout is about as clean as it gets, plus everything else is built to suit.

but yes with es9018/12 unless you are running sync mode there will indeed be a small delay as its asyc and the PLL process needs some time to complete.

given his choice of digitally controlled analogue pot part, and the lack of an IV stage, i'm going to guess its either CS4382A, CS4384 or CS4385 which are pretty excellent looking parts that have been used successfully in pro audio cards. Some of the 6 channel lower power parts have been used in modern consumer headphone hobbiest products like the JH3A and a new upcoming design from Unique melody (actually i'm only taking an educated guess with that)

so if i'm right, i'll definitely be having a bit of a listen too out of curiosity as i've been meaning to grab some samples. the CS dacs are usually pretty decent

Last edited:
I can't go too much into the details right now, but I can say that 48
kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz are all 3 natively supported by the DSP and that
sampling frequency is user selectable while configuring the board.

From the dsp fact sheet:
¤ Input and output samplerate 32khz to 192khz

So if some of the pushbuttons are for input selection I would be able to hook
up the "cd" via digital in, "laptop/xmos usb reciver" via I2S and "analogs" via
analog input ? Then my preamp is suddenly obsolete as well :eek:

What are the pushbuttons for, user selectable ?

Any tips on a nice remote ?

Last edited:
So if some of the pushbuttons are for input selection I would be able to hook
up the "cd" via digital in, "laptop/xmos usb reciver" via I2S and "analogs" via
analog input ?

Correct!

What are the pushbuttons for, user selectable ?

Buttons and remote controller are for every daily interaction:

- On/Off
- Mute
- Source select
- Preset select
- Volume
- Balance
- Bass/Treble

Buttons can do a couple of things that remote can't, such as selecting a remote control protocol, navigating through Ir Learn process, adjusting LCD contrast and backlight etc

Any tips on a nice remote ?

Any NEC-compatible remote is fine. JVC protocol also supported.
I might add more 38-kHz protocols in the future, but NEC is one of the widest standards.

Last edited: