DSP options?

Can you explain why a device that measures so well can get your authoritative diss'ing?
It does not measure that good i have to say: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nger-deq2496-ultracurve-pro-dsp-review.16991/

But it's getting better each generation, that is the good thing. But MiniDSP is quiet a lot better, and even that is not up there where i want it to be really feasable for me. And it's not that good build, they break down very fast when used in pro audio settings i know from experience, you're better of with a DBX Driverrack there.

You must have posted the wrong link (that's for DEQ) because this fancy-pants testing is even more laudatory than my amateur testing. That link shows S/N over 100dB, vanishingly little distortion (data numbers for THD+N appear as .00008%*, .0016%, etc.... gimme a break), ruler-flat FR, etc.

Perhaps I am reading the measurements wrong or overlooked something in my haste. But glad if you'd cut-and-post that part which you find illiustrates the shortcomings of the Behringer.

*If you think I made up that number (.00008%), you should double-check the link yourself

Last edited:
People form opinions based on thier experiences, that makes those opinions valid but sometimes there is a bit too much extrapolation that happens. I see this all over the place with all kinds of things, somebody has a bad experience with a certain brand of car so they write off everything they make. This processor is from early Behringer, at that time the company had exactly 3 products that I would consider to be standouts, they were the DCX, DEQ, and the EP1500/2500 series amplifiers. Everything else was not great so I can see where somebody might come to a conclusion about the brand as a whole.

These days the Behringer X32 series of digital mixers are quite widely respected and actually enjoy a better reliability record than some major brand name consoles that cost many times more. These are reasons to not like this companies business practices but reliability of the products isn't one of them these days. There have been cases where Behringer was singled out for reliability issues while others were given a pass, when the iNuke amplifiers first appeared they had a problem with diodes used in the power supplies dying without warning rendering the amp dead. What few people know is that Crown Audio, QSC and others suffered the same problems with these diodes, so this was really a component supplier batch problem not a manufacturers problem.

The people that make the mod boards for the DCX state that the factory conveters are quite good..
"In fact, the DAC and ADC chips inside the DCX are high-end items from AKM and Cirrus Logic. Much of the music you listen to will have been recorded using these same converters, "
I don't share the opinion that there are "hugh" differences between converters that some claim. It's like the discussions of preamp differences.. the whole argument is flawed to begin with because how exactly does someone conclude that a converter or preamp is the source of something if it cannot be separated from the analog electronics immediately in front and/or behind it.
Behringermods offers boards to replace the analog input and output sections of the DCX and they have test data to demonstrate the improvements... which are real. But for example.. the improvement in Sig-Noise ratio goes from 109dB to 114dB, that is an actual improvement but would it make an audible difference in real world uses? THD is similar.. goes from -90dB to -105dB, great but even the factory spec is better than most other equipment and is certainly much better than any speaker system where distortion is proportional to drive level and can range as high as 10% or more.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Moondog how are you doing? Any health updates?

Ben, I didn't like the older DCX-2496 I experimented with a few years ago before settling on the MiniDSP SHD which I have been pretty happy with. The DCX is more oriented towards crossover duties with some EQ capability, the SHD implements Dirac and I use it for room/speaker correction with line level analog crossovers - it also includes PEQ and 2 way crossover options. The SHD has a lot of other fearures I don't need or use. I use it as a processor through the balanced analog I/O.
Things are much better now health-wise. A few little late episodes but it seems to have gone away or at least faded into the background
Also so far the DCX unit is working reasonably well for my needs. My ears can't hear the difference anymore and with the olde drivers and amps any clearer or cleaner is a bit of a non-issue.
Also I don't seem to need any boost on the deep bass with the really cheap boxes that are handling 20 to 60 Hz; but just in case how do I adjust parametric boost "on the fly" with the DCX?

Reactions: 1 user
Also I don't seem to need any boost on the deep bass with the really cheap boxes that are handling 20 to 60 Hz; but just in case how do I adjust parametric boost "on the fly" with the DCX?
Moondog,

Glad to hear your health has improved.
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/manuals/248-669-behringer-dcx2496-manual-41812.pdf
Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 2.43.03 PM.png

Adjustment requires pushing buttons and spinning the data wheel, if they are not convenient to your listening position, you have to "fly further" ;)

Cheers,
Art