Driver matching (noob here)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ya'll,

On a whim, I bought 2 10" Bravox PXW10D-4 10" DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm Per Coil from parts express. I want to build a 3 way floor standing speaker from scratch for home use. I would like some direction, literature, or sites to learn from to do this right. I did not realize that there is more to good speaker design than an even frequency response, and I know I'm in over my head without some direction.

Thanks,

-Brian

HI Brian. I don't mind looking all this up...:eek:

So this is a pair of 10" polycones you have bought...wireable for 8 ohms.
Bravox PXW10D-4 10" DVC Subwoofer 4 Ohm Per Coil 269-520

You have just taken on a massive project, especially since I have no clue what the drivers do in efficiency or frequency response. :D

Here's how Troels Gravesen does a good 3-way:
3-Way Classic

I suppose you might be looking at something closer to this:
Jenzen CA

I think that's probably doable.

It is usual to choose the mid-driver first...
However, now you've got the woofers, first thing to do is download Unibox & enter the TS parameters so you can work out which size box & tuning works best for them.
However, with an efficiency of 87.6 dB, I'd consider using 2 per side, if that doesn't result in too big a box...

Next, choosing a mid-driver - this has most effect on sound quality, so buy a good one,
perhaps SB or Peerless nomex. If you want to make things a lot easier, you could use a 'full range' driver - no tweeter required. The mid driver needs to have an efficiency the same as the woofer, or ~ 3dB less if you need baffle step correction - are these going to be free standing speakers, or against the wall?

Thanks for the replies,

The frequency response 28hz-2.8khz, but I do not know how linear it is over that range.

I would have normally done all of my research first, but I was up late and wasn't thinking clearly. I don't know enough about matching drivers, this will likely be a long term project, and I want do do it right. I will download Unibox. These will be floor mounted, but I am not sure what size room this will go in, as we will be in a different house by the time these are finished.

I am an engineer, and am not afraid of math or learning new computer software. I am on a budget, but can save up for quality components.

Thanks,

-Brian

Brian, let's be clear. What you have bought (10" polycone bass) has some promise. You just need a clear idea of where it will lead you.

Chartwell PM400 3 way, polycone units, 5" midrange:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Similar to Peerless Peerless HDS PPB 830860

Spendor SP100, 6.5" polycone midrange plus SEAS tweeter:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peerless 830874

Usually third order tweeter filter if not time aligned. I'd guess you want a couple of cubic feet reflex on the bass.

The second with the Jenzen CA circuit and mid and treble drivers might be good too. These are big speakers for a big room, and best off the floor. 3 ways work better than two ways because they avoid huge excursion on the mid so play louder with less distortion.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.