Driver for vocal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I am searching for a driver with a frequency response between 1-6 kHz.
Is this possible with regulars or should i go for horns?

The idea is to have a upper voice range free from a x-over. Above I'm planning a slot tweeter. And for the low I already have a suitable driver.

The listening distance will be ~3,5m / 140 inches. And the price up to ~90$ /each, new or used.

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
I'll try to get the ball rolling here?

Sounds like a candidate for a full/wide range drive unit?

I've heard good things about the Fountek FR88-EX.

I've seen some people use 8" paper cone units (Lowther) as their ultimate midrangers but not sure what you'd get for $90 each in Europe?

Keep an eye out for a pair of used 2" compression drivers. They can handle that critical rage fairly easy and can go as low as 500hz. Add a horn ( new or used ) from Autotech when you can and you will be off to a very nice start. You would have high efficiency and dynamics that cone drivers wish they had. Sometimes it pays to buy right and cry once !!!!! Another excellent driver, but not cheap is the Beyma TPL150 ( check ebay). Good luck.

Keep an eye out for a pair of used 2" compression drivers. They can handle that critical rage fairly easy and can go as low as 500hz. Add a horn ( new or used ) from Autotech when you can and you will be off to a very nice start. You would have high efficiency and dynamics that cone drivers wish they had. Sometimes it pays to buy right and cry once !!!!! Another excellent driver, but not cheap is the Beyma TPL150 ( check ebay). Good luck.

Good tips! Will consider it.

I'll try to get the ball rolling here?

Sounds like a candidate for a full/wide range drive unit?

I've heard good things about the Fountek FR88-EX.

I've seen some people use 8" paper cone units (Lowther) as their ultimate midrangers but not sure what you'd get for $90 each in Europe?

Thanks for the advice. Reading around some I find this similar driver that seems to be a step up, but it comes with two different magnets.

Anyone know which one is the better? The spec are some different

Tang Band 1 W3-881SJF

Tang Band 2 W3-881SJ

Those 3" cone drivers with tiny voice coils simply are not capable to produce the SPL required in home audio (>100 dB). A 2" midrange dome easily does and is perfectly suited. :)

Attachments

• MaximumSPLTangBandW3-881SJ.jpg
    MaximumSPLTangBandW3-881SJ.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 217
  • MaximumSPLDaytonRS52AN-8.jpg
    MaximumSPLDaytonRS52AN-8.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 217
A few modest cost 1" compression drivers(DE250) on modest size horns/waveguides (SEOS15) get good reviews covering 1Khz-18Khz with well controlled directivity.

Geddes has a paper on the value of controlled directivity speakers on his website which could change your design direction for the better. Geddes uses the B&C DE500 1" compression driver crossed at 1Khz - 18Khz on his well reviewed 15" Summa speaker.

Crossover shown here...

http://libinst.com/SEOS/SEOS15/SEOS15 TD1M redo/TD15+SEOS15 design.pdf

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The best voice for vocals I have heard come from a ScanSpeak 10F/8424. It is absolutely flat through the range you want and has a great CSD and ultra low HD. The low HD makes female vocals especially pleasing.

For 1/5th the price you can get 90% of the 10F with the Vifa TG9FD10-8 (8ohm version). Similar voicing and sublime sound for $22.

Finally, almost hitting the 600Hz range is the Heil AMT - it has sublime sounding vocals.

The SB65WBAC25-4 is also very good and when played in a waveguide as linked above is also excellent. There is a sound clip in that thread of a female vocal if you want to hear.

For a cone driver covering that range I'd definitely endorse the Scan Speak 10F 8424G00.
It leaves you room on either side of your chosen crossover points where it's still performing really well.
But it will be up to you what you want out of the driver covering the upper midrange.
Keep an eye on the dispersion pattern of your driver covering the low end as well. Ideally they should match at the chosen crossover point. That could very well mean a horn of some sort might help you realise that goal. Listening at 3.5 meter you also have to determine the maximum SPL you're going to need, after all a 3.5" driver is still only a 3.5" driver and will have limits. It's a very clean performer up to 96 dB at one meter over your area of interest. Haven't seen any measurements taken at higher SPL than that.
So lot's to think about besides choosing the driver...

Yeah, I started to post it ideally needed to be a < 3" diameter wide range driver or better yet, use a compression driver/short WG, but hottatoo had posted similar in the meantime, so with several of us in agreement, hopefully the OP will 'take a hint' ;) as it really is superior to any cone/dome and somewhat cheaper than a high SQ ribbon or similar last time I checked.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.