Driver alignment on a 3-way

I have aligned all three drivers in my main speakers. In my case, there are lines on each of my drivers showing the point where sound emanates.

Is there any way to measure by sound if the drivers are aligned???
Simply play pure tones at various frequencies and in each case, vary driver offsets to confirm the max combined sound level was already achieved at the marked positions (repeatable to within 1mm by ear). Do this with and without XO in place.

You can check driver time alignment using REW Impulse response envelope (ETC). If they are misaligned you will see separate events (see attached pics). At some point the alignment is within the XO duration and then you can't tell.

Attachments

• aligned.jpg
    aligned.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 24
  • not aligned.jpg
    not aligned.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: 1 user
The notion that time aligning drivers is important in home systems is "essential" is mostly myth in my opinion. The wavelength of the signal Vs. the distance the drivers are apart is what is should be the main determinant of whether there is an issue. If they are less than one-half wavelength away from each other it generally won't be audible in any way...more than that and some compromises must be considered as inevitable. Also, as has been said here many times before, the room will have a much greater effect than any time alignment effects, unless there is something grossly wrong with the design. Sometimes one can use an asymmetrical crossover alignment to get things to line up a little better, but be aware that no matter where the aligning is done, there will still be misalignment elsewhere, and most of the attempts I've made actually sounded worse. So unless there is an actual perceived problem that is actually caused by misalignment, I would put that issue dead last on the list.

Mike

I have a 3 way active system and programmed up a couple of responses which have almost identical on axis responses but one is better time aligned (using delays). I played them blind to my son and he identified the one with better time alignment as having better sound separation, “more 3D”. So in my case it was worth spending the time to align them.

For info it was a sealed speaker using SB WO24P-4, Morel EM1308 and Morel ET448.