Does this type of Desktop Digital Audio player exist?

Joined 2015
Paid Member
I am looking for a Hi-Fi rack component type digital music player. The faceplate item listed here fits the bill, but is not very elegant, even if fixed to a black case.

https://www.thanksbuyer.com/12v-lcd...rt-fm-radio-aux-usb-with-lyrics-display-64325
I am looking for basically a CD- sized box with the touch screen and functions of an mp3 player : I find handheld mp3 players a real nuisance to use for a home system, for example a smart phone which I am using now.

I have attached an image of the Musicolet interface: the basic functions highlighted here are fine, touch screen or button operated. The problem is, this sort of device does not see to exist, unless with expensive SACD players.

musicplayer2.png

That comes with a remote, there are $2 versions with a basic display.
Make a box, and a 5v supply, old cell phone chargers work, and you are ready to go.
My friend's kids stream their music in his car with Bluetooth, from their cell phones.
Then the cell phone is the control screen, you can use so many apps to play music!

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have daphile successfully running on a small, cheap qotom computer, controlled by a tablet. That part works fine.

I am going to build a box and attach a small tablet to the outside for control, qotom is inside. Shouldn't be an issue..

Another tablet will be used for control from my couch (don't know if I can have 2 controlling tablet at the same time)

Joined 2015
Paid Member
That comes with a remote, there are $2 versions with a basic display.
Make a box, and a 5v supply, old cell phone chargers work, and you are ready to go.
My friend's kids stream their music in his car with Bluetooth, from their cell phones.
Then the cell phone is the control screen, you can use so many apps to play music!
$2 versions? Could you link me to where I can buy one? The device pictured has all the functionality I need, however the interface is not a polished one like the Cambridge Audio CXN (V2), the interface is ok, at least it is on-device and it looks very good. I guess I have to keep searching for devices that look better.

What is the sound quality like?

As for using the phone as a remote, I have had it with that practice, I am using a DVD player to play CDs and I like the play and forget feature of the unit, put in a CD and it plays to the end, no shuffling, changing order etc. The CD can only play one at a time, which is why I want to digitize all the CDs and add my mp3 files I downloaded from Hungama to a digital player device. I do not plan to use Bluetooth either, not for a home Hi-Fi system, and wired quality is the best.

I can attach a USB to a DVD player but there is no way of accessing the files through a menu without connecting to a TV.

Attaching a tablet is an option but again the finish has to be perfect, and I am not sure I can manage that yet.

The unit has to have LINE OUT to connect to an amplifier.

I have Daphile running on a small x86 (Intel Atom based...) machine, originally intended for a cash register. Daphile will put up a local control screen if the computer its running on has one - and you ask it to. Of course, you can also control it through whatever computer you happen to be at, after you put Daphile on your home network. That also allows it to stream radio.

On ebay, there's a myriad of suitable PCs, laptops, industrial controllers, hospital terminals, cash registers terminals that are x86 and would run Daphile no problem. Put in a big HDD, copy all your music there, plug in a USB DAC of your choice and good to go with Daphile installed as the new OS.

I found a beauty there for $150 that would work for normal res audio, may be perceptibly laggy in response to the play button due to the lowly Atom proc inside. Brand new hospital all in one PC, 11", touch screen - comes with Windows 7 pro. If I didnt already have 10 computers in the house,..I'd get it, put Daphile on it and all my music and hang it on the wall somewhere. USB to the amp - there's my stereo system. As I understand, that hardware is made to run 24/7,like you'd need in a hospital, so it's going to have good reliability. Something like that is also going to be built pretty decently; case. screen protection, fanless cooling, power supply.

This is a DIY forum after all. I know the little hobby SBCs are popular, because they're always available whenever anyone wants one. I think you can do better if you shop hard, know what to look for and get lucky. It's easy.

The lower module is used in my car player, which I use with a memory stick, sound quality is good, and the thing cost about $5!
It has a pair of 4440 ICs, 20W/ch/8R.
No moving parts, so no CD jitter when driven over bumpy roads, and no thief will steal it.
The system, with speakers, labor, flash drive and all, cost me $20, so I am satisfied.
I laugh at people spending more than $500 and complaining about issues...

Some things to note:
This is in India, your country may have some other things, similar, available.
There was a discussion here, this particular module did not play Ogg Vorbis, there is one that does, it also plays FLAC files, $10 or so on line.
You can make a box, and use the 5V supply from an old charger, or modem supply, whatever is handy.
Simple enough job.
Or pay more than $500 to get ready made box.
Use a computer to transfer files to a memory card or stick, simply because CD and DVD drives are mostly out of production, and what is still available is frankly flimsy.
Store you files on hard disk, or cloud, two separate places for safety.

Some people in Delhi used to sell DVD players with USB socket, and built in amp, and it could use 12V from batteries, very popular in buses to keep people entertained.
Those were like $30, no idea if still made.

An atom N450 based mini laptop PC running Daphile. Just copied my entire FLAC collection to the 500GB bootable HDD inside. Plays FLAC album perfectly all the way through; No issues, no interface lag...

You can use just about any POS, otherwise worthless PC that you can find and Daphile likely will run on it, be UI controllable at the machine as well as from any other system on your network - if its got wireless, a requirement for setup. I picked this one up for $10 at a thrift store. Cant believe I listened to that whole album - with headphones - to prove the point; truly bottom of the barrel hardware, almost plug 'n play setup - works just fine.
DSC03036.JPG

So, you dont like phones as controls because of shuffle play etc and you just want to be able to press play and forget? you do realise that just about every single player app supports playlists, or otherwise has this basic feature. perhaps you use spotify free and it interrupts to shuffle play on mobile? that can be fixed by paying the subscription. in fact, iirc, if you have the playlists setup on the desktop app, you can then play them from your mobile as spotify remote, even in the free version.