Does this explain what generates gravity?

On the other hand, for real life dangerous stupidity...

Guess what my face looks like after reading your link!

1712508272475.png

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
John Bell, 1964: On the Einstein Podolsky Rosen Paradox
Notice how Einstei is referenced in this link.

I googled 'What are the most important 5 theoretical physics papers written over the last 200 yrs?' 3 of the 5 papers were written by Einstein - Brownian motion, light quantisation and GR. Funny they did not mention SR, but I assume that was because they wrapped that up with GR. The reason these were chosen is because they say even though the math was not particularly difficult in the first two, Einstein brought a unique and fresh way of looking at problems.

For the most important papers written in the last 200 years, I would say Maxwell's equations, SR, GR, light quantisation, Dirac's QM papers from the 1930's, Heisenberg's exclusion principle paper, and Schrodinger's wave function paper. Everything else is built upon those as far as I can see.

Funny they did not mention SR

I have my googling hat on again! :Pirate:

Einstein is quoted as saying in 1953, "There is no doubt, that the special theory of relativity, if we regard its development in retrospect, was ripe for discovery in 1905. Lorentz had already recognized that the transformations named after him are essential for the analysis of Maxwell's equations, and Poincaré deepened this insight still further."

Einstein's priority in formulating the special theory of relativity has always been a matter of some dispute. I'm wondering if that may be why his paper "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies" is not given due prominence in the physics paper charts?

We can access the paper here: https://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol2-trans/154

Reactions: 1 user
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I’ve read elsewhere that SR was an idea whose time had come because of a number of breakthroughs around the late 1800’s early 1900’s - Lorentz, Minkowski et al. The ground work that lead to these insights came from Maxwell’s determination that c was constant and the Michelson-Morley experiment that confirmed it and killed off the ‘luminiferous aether’ (which I find a bit like the ephemeral fermion thing tbh).

My wife alerted me to the sad news just a wee while ago.

Apparently it's a myth that Peter came up with his theory while hiking in the Cairngorm mountains back in 1964.

1712685248449.png

Perhaps he is now standing in an even higher place, surveying the wonders of creation.

RIP Peter.

Bonsai's Guardian article reveals that Peter Higgs detested mobile phones, email, computers and television! Like me.

Terrible distraction for the most part, though I approve Jim Al-Khalili's (Portsmouth's finest son) programmes on you tube:

This is a beaut if you like the large scale structure of the solar system and the Universe:

The Heliosphere, our local supercluster, The Great Wall in Hercules. That our galaxy follows a filament to the "Great Attractor".

Episode one on the small stuff is interesting too. "The Blackest Material Known" made of carbon nanotubes. And superstrong Graphene.

On the home front I located Corona Borealis due south at 4AM:

Corona Borealis.jpg

You see two bright stars in a line enclosing two fainter ones. I now need a capable DSLR on my tripod and 30 seconds to get a good shot of this expected nova near to Alpha Corana Borealis this summer.

My nephew has such a beast:

Nikon D3200 Camera 18-55mm Lens.jpg

Best, a healthy Steve.

I am being tested for Kreutzfeld-Jakob (Mad Cow) disease next week along with endoscopies at either end for anaemia, as it goes. We must hope for the best. :(

Holiday and rest snaps from delightful Worthington in Leicestershire. Near Ashby de la Zouch. Amazingly, no snow at all this winter.

The recent shock was the theft of two lawn mowers from a nearby garage in the night. The village is on high alert!

DSCN1922.JPG

Lovely countryside and walks along the Cloud Trail. I think the east midlands is wealthier than the South. You should see the cars in Tesco carpark in Ashby!

DSCN1928.JPG

This tree on the Cloud Trail to Derby was struck by lightning last year. The splinters of the thunderbolt!

DSCN1929.JPG

This is the local quarry, which is impressively big. Must be 200 feet deep. My nieces floor cracks when they set off dynamite!

Last edited:
Thankyou. I am not too worried about CJD. The endoscopy sounds a bit unpleasant, what with laxatives and Nil by Mouth beforehand an' all that.

I think my troubles are mainly old age! Tempus Fugit. "Time flies like an arrow, Fruit Flies like a banana" as they say. :ROFLMAO:

For sure lots of exercise is indicated, along with a cleaner life style. I shall be swimming tonight at Charter Community Centre and am fixing my bike. The gaspers and drinking are going to have to go!

You should see the graphs of typical lung function for smokers with age. I should be dead by now! But have always exercised.

I was curious where Jim was filming. Couldn't identify the beach, but the telescopes are at Clanfield, Hampshire Astronomical Group, including a 24" reflector. I think there is a bus from Portsmouth.

Jim at Clanfield Hampshire Astronomical Group.jpg

Clanfield Observatory, Hampshire.jpg

https://hantsastro.org.uk/tour/index.php

Looks like an old iron age Hill Fort, but it's a water reservoir. The edge of the lovely South Downs.

Research into cameras unearths this nice 30 second exposure capable camera. People are giving them away these days.

Nikon D60 SLR plus 18-55mm Lens.jpg

I expect my nephew can lend me a more suitable f1.8 35mm lens, since he has a f1.8 50mm too.

This is all going very well!

Best Regards from Steve in Portsmouth UK.

Last edited:
I am glad I quit smoking 35 years ago.
The benefit of quitting is quite quick, health is well inproved two years later, then goes on improving.
No doubt it is worth to quit smoking.
But.
Many years after I quit, I had a check up with a lungs scan that revealed benign nodules from my past smoking.
Glad to be told, there was only harmless issue left, however I was then, told that it takes 20 years for the entire body to fully recover from nicotine that got installed damaging all and every organs.
Recently, looking at body cells aging, I got aware that most cells do regenerate; An exception is lung cells do not regenerate.