Does making distortion measurement of cable make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
JMFahey,
My comment was relative to the last sentence of Jan Didden post, about confusion.

One of the album who made me drift to electronic music had a prophetic ( or realist?) - paranoid- text as artwork about all this:

Black Lung - The More Confusion... The More Profit | Discogs

I'm curious about other culture than mine. In no way i'm 'against' anyone even if we were allowed to talk politics probably most people would throw stones at me despite i'm relatively open minded... from every parts of the world and every political/economical/ philosophical system! :D

And i'm proud of it. As i'm free in my thinking and view of our reality. :D

Last edited:
Absolutely irrelevant to THIS thread.

Threads often include brief digressions. There was one such started by another member regarding a strict definition of distortion. That is a more general question than the thread topic, but once opened as a general issue should not be left in a state of misunderstanding. In fact there are various kinds of distortion, not only one.

Last edited:
JMFahey,
My comment was relative to the last sentence of Jan Didden post, about confusion.
Ok, it´s hard to keep sync or even track in these fast pacing threads, where one or more posts can appear unseen while an answer is written.

One of the album who made me drift to electronic music had a prophetic ( or realist?) - paranoid- text as artwork about all this:
Very interesting, but small text is unreadable, even opening album cover art in new window, do you have any link to readable text?
Even if plain text, no graphics.
Thanks.

I'm curious about other culture than mine.
Same here, big time :)

JM Fahey - me think there are many people here who have no problem being called "un-american".
Probably, at least from a statistical point of view.

That said, this very Forum is "American" based so out of courtesy will always be polite about "America"

Last edited:
As the saying goes ... the weaker the people the stronger the government, the stronger the people the weaker the government. How much freedom you want depends on how much you can handle.

The Soviets tried "glasnost" in the past, but their country descended into chaos with the mafia. That's why they need a strong man like Putin ... like having the moderator stepping putting an end to a thread.

Anyway, back on topic.

For example, if you put a square into into a low pass filter, you will get ISI on the output but that's not distortion, although some may call it "distortion", but that is not what I would say.

Then E is NOT = I * R
Possibly you think that R is constant - but not. It is a non-linear function on I (R a bit depends on I^2).

The thermal mass of copper is great enough that the current through a conductor used for audio purposes would have insignificant thermal heating effects. It would be most likely in the low ppm range, not hundredths of a percent range. Totally insignificant for audio purposes.
Is the thermal mass of copper great enough or not - strongly depends on the frequency. Of cause, the lower the frequency - the easier is to observe it.
"the low ppm range" is 0.001% - that I am talking about.

Last edited:
The skin-effect modulates the cable resistance depending on the signal frequency.
No.

The skin effect will theoretically not cause harmonic
Thus there is a non-linear impedance of the audio cable as a result of the skin effect.
Why do you think the reason for non-linear impedance is exactly skin effect, but not any other effect? I don't see a connection, because I don't agree that skin-effect modulates the cable resistance.

Possibly you think that R is constant - but not. It is a non-linear function on I (R a bit depends on I^2).

The rigorous Ohm law is J=Sigma*E where J is the current density vector, E is the electric field vector and Sigma (conductance) is a material property which is in the general case a rank-2 tensor. In this case, a rank-2 tensor describes a non homogeneous material. If Sigma is a scalar, then the current density and the electric field are colinear vectors, with the J modulus proportional to Sigma and E modulus, that's all.

What follows is that in the general case, the Ohm law is still a linear relationship, any non-linear behaviour has nothing to do with Ohm's law, but with the material properties of the conductor.

So please leave Ohm out of this dumb discussion, he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:
Is the thermal mass of copper great enough or not - strongly depends on the frequency. Of cause, the lower the frequency - the easier is to observe it.
"the low ppm range" is 0.001% - that I am talking about.
I've read about thermal compression due to a driver's voice coil heating up with high signal level and thus its resistance going up. That thin wire of copper is already as thick as it's gonna get for the driver design, and a strong signal can easily heat it up by 100C or much more. The glues and former and such are all designed to take the higher temperatures and such, depending on the power rating.

The wire between amplifier and speaker, on the other hand, can be as thick as it needs to be to have the heating be insignificant at full power, and thus have insignificant temperature rise, and change in resistance well below 1ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.