• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

does anyone know this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I found this amp at an auction. The seller doesn't know the model nor the brand name. Does anyone know it? Is it worth the 150 euros they are asking for?

thanks,

JP

Attachments

• i-1_b.jpg
    i-1_b.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 679
Looks like a homebrew type to me...

Yes its prolly worth that if it goes and has the tubes... It could be good source for parts and chassis etc; those o/p transformers aren't cheap. It could be a nice project to restore, thats what ive been doing and its very rewarding.

Love that rugged grille :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
JP said:
The tubes are Mullard (old logo, the seller says) ECL86, and delivers 15W (again as the seller claims).

ECL86 is a triode+an output pentode. Think 1/2 a 12ax7 + not quite an EL84/6BQ5. Good for about 3.5-4 W in SE and 8-10 in PP. The ECL86 is similar to the 6BM8/ECL82 in the WAVE 8, that gets many accolades.

What is the tube on the front of the board?

Quite a bank of old germainium rectifiers. It is not a home built with those boards. Both the Germans & the English used those flat-blade bolts holding down the boards. From the way the green & yellow filament wires are routed & the Mullards i'd guess British.

Sizable OPTs are probably an indicator of a higher end amp. The screw connectors may indicate a pro amp out of a theater or some such.

In good working order it is probably worth the asking (and maybe then some).

dave

British or German amplifier. As per the boards layout reverse engineering may be very easy, but you need to have certain knowledge of valve electrronics to draw schematics. Selenium rectifier can be easily replaced by the well know 1n4007 silicon diodes. ECL86 or ECL82 expected to deliver fantasic european sound. I would go with this amp and put it again to run. Of course I am basing assumptions the Output and power transwformers are OK.

The AC Plug seems very similar to those used in my Country Uruguay like 20 to 30 years ago. I bed it is 230VAC. Now a days, you still can use the same Plug in several european countries as well as some South American countries using 220 VAC/50Hz power lines. Uruguay and Argentina are 220/50Hz commercial power and plugs like your picture are still available here.

Looking carefully to the pictures, I also recognized the capacitors, cilindrical with color yellow/green --
Those capacitors were used in several Philips (Neetherlands) electronic equipments during 60's, so, origin would also be Holland or Belgium, again, 230VAC/50Hz power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.