Does anyone know of a direct drive turntable with suspension

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm probably missing an obvious one but can anyone think of a direct drive turntable that has a sub chassis in the Ariston, Linn, AR, Pink Triangle mould?

I've got a few SL1200 copies that I've used for parts and am thinking about using one of the motor/bearing assemblies as the basis for a little project I have in my head.

Problem is I can't think of another example of a suspended direct drive which usually means if no one else has done it it's a bad idea, that's never stopped me before though.

I'm looking for something that has a separate sub chassis that the motor/bearing and tonearm are both mounted on which is suspended from the main chassis by springs or similar, Like a Linn LP12 or Ariston RD12 etc. where the main plinth stays still but the motor/platter and arm move up and down.

I can't find one so want to try and work out if there is a technical reason why or if it was just a fashion thing, Japan and the US seemed to favour un-suspended direct drive turntables and Europe suspended belt drive, There are obviously examples of the opposite in both directions but I can't find a proper suspended direct drive and I don't want to embark on a project that ultimately won't work.

The motor/bearing/control unit I have is quite compact so I can see it's physically feasible.

Last edited:
The direct-drive EMT 950 was kinda suspended but it was a bit of a beastie.
studio_plattenspieler_emt_950_413312.jpg

Weighs around 150kg but it did come with RIAA pre built in.

Thanks for those very helpful.

Arch Stanton the Technics and the Micro are damped not suspended as far as I can see but thanks anyway.

jev I like the look of the Motus, quite a beastie and now I want one! Dangerous me asking questions really.

bibio yes start up torque good point and yes I thinks I will go for it, it will take me ages, may never run but will be worth it.

harwoodspark when you say LAD is that London Acoustical Developments?

Charles Darwin the EMT isn't suspended in the Ariston/AR sense? But I like beastie's I have an MRM source with the brass platter that weighs god knows how much.

The motor unit has a large round metal top plate to isolate it from the platter so
I was going to make an addition to this to mount the arm on and then make a flat plate beneath this and suspend it above that at as many points as needed to overcome the start up torque. Then the motor will effectively be suspended between the two plates and the electronics can mount below the lower plate.
I can make a two piece plinth out of wood that sandwiches the lower plate and then have a choice of whether I make the top plate out of wood or metal.

I'm also going to make it large as I have a spare straight ADC arm for the project that I intend to make a new arm tube for it to make it 12"

I would also like to make an acrylic platter for it so if anyone can suggest a machine shop in the south east UK that could help me there that would be great.

Best I get drawing then and see what comes out, it will either be superb or an unmitigated disaster.

A project that for a long time now sticked in my head, a Subchassis DD using a Dual EDS1000 and a Linn LP12 plinth and subchassis. All this parts laying around here.
But have to make a different Subchassis like the SOLE, it have to be bit larger, as the EDS 1000 has a bit to much diameter for orginal LP12 Subchassis.
The EDS is dead silent! No problem with resonances through the subchassis in m opinion at least in comparision with orginal LP12 synchronmotor...
And the DD is in less than 2sec at 33,3.

Last edited:
The Technics SL-1300Mk2, SL-1400Mk2, and SL-1500Mk2 are all suspended turntables. I owned them before. They all have springs suspending the chassis.

The Goldmund Studio is a suspended DD table.

The Dual 701 and 721 are suspended DD tables.

The Pioneer PL-1000 linear tracking DD table.

It's all been done. Nothing is original!

Whatever you can think of, I can find a precedence.

Many thanks to all for all for the suggestions but all the turntables suggested so far are not quite what I am looking for and I would class those as having varying degrees of damping rather than having a truly suspended sub chassis.

In all the examples given the motor/platter and tonearm are all either fixed to the top or bottom plates with either damping between the two or underneath the bottom plate

I know it's probably splitting hairs but what I want to make is a turntable like the LP12/RD12/PTOne and others of their ilk where the platter and arm are on a completely separate sub chassis that is suspended and de-coupled from any other chassis or casing parts and this is what I am having difficulty in finding an example of.

I will give it a go and post some pictures when I have made some progress but I don't expect it will be for a while as I already have a long list of projects and as always work will get in the way.

Harwoodspark

As an impetuous youth back in the late 80's I was a nightclub DJ and owned a pair's LAD turntables. can't remember the model but remember they were blue and always thought them superior to the ubiquitous SL1200, I would love to get my hands on another pair but sadly most of them that have survived are usually broken up now.

Arch Stanton

do you know of any photo's of the inside of the DD-20 about on the web, I've had a look about and can't find any yet.

I've owned a couple of Micro's in my time which were either fixed or damped like a lot of the other Japanese Direct drives and had always assumed the DD-20 to be the same so will have to keep my eyes out for one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.